Blackmagic Design Ursa 4K camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

demann68

Blackmagic Design Ursa 4K camera

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Many other brands have large production camera with full-frame censors. When the Blackmagic Design Ursa 4K camera entered on the scene I was sold on the ability to upgrade or swap censors. It was the best idea ever. Also, the Ursa was not designed for the run-and-gun cinematographers but it is designed for professionals who like the three man setup.
My question is do you think the BD Ursa 4K should continue with its promise to push the swap censors like the competitors (Sony Venice)?

Gavin_c_clark

Re: Blackmagic Design Ursa 4K camera

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm

I love the idea of upgrading sensors, I bought one of the 4K ursas and only recently sold it.

Truth of the matter is, it didn’t work out for whatever reason (probably return on investment on blackmagics part after all they were selling them ridiculously cheap with that promise) and I’m not sure many people would trust them on that usp going forward

demann68

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 pm

I decided to keep the camera. It still gives me a great image. I believe you're right but with most cameras they have bugs in the beginning like the pocket camera 4k.

Denis Kazlowski

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 am

demann68 wrote:Many other brands have large production camera with full-frame censors. When the Blackmagic Design Ursa 4K camera entered on the scene I was sold on the ability to upgrade or swap censors. It was the best idea ever. Also, the Ursa was not designed for the run-and-gun cinematographers but it is designed for professionals who like the three man setup.
My question is do you think the BD Ursa 4K should continue with its promise to push the swap censors like the competitors (Sony Venice)?

I gather that I need to re-iterate the BM business model, it's creating disposable 1 year to last cameras, you will never get support, no rental house will get them to support your en-masse. BM is like a DSLR upgrade cameras, no matter which one you got.

They only care about their new products that they can sell for cash today in terms of cameras, they will not support you, they will not give your parts, they are not that type of camera vendor, they just wont even do the basic stuff. - So - no.. BM will never support or fix or upgrade or update a camera thats more that 1/yo - from time of marketing or sale - for any reason aside from a lawsuit in a proper jurisdiction. This is just how BM is - either love it or leave it. - Your BM whatever camera was made in a low-cost environment like Taipei or Thailand, and it will never get any legacy updates if it is no longer sold.

I just wish their flashy "on set" marketing pix would not dupe your average dreamer into thinking they're investing into something valuable or non-disposable. I really do wish they laid off the awesome sauce in their literatures or brochures, because unlike other vendors, you really are buying future eWaste.

Norbert Seynhaeve

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am

Attention of Gavin_c_clark

Hi, I also have a URSA 4 K caméra and would want to sell it.
Only to have an idea, can you tell me the amount that I can ask for such a gear now.
Thank you Gavin.

Norbert.

Return to Cinematography