Lut embedded in file

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MaxSaltin

Lut embedded in file

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Hey BM Community!

Updating the pocket 4k with the 6.6 the update. Great update.

Playing back files i had a problem with luts applied to the clip. Is the lut embedded into the clip via the metadata somehow? Can someone kindly explain to me what is going on?

I apply another lut to monitor my shoot footage with anoter lut it reverts back to another lut with the next coming clip. Also when going from one scene to another scene, lets say i was filming inside, had iso 400, then going outside i had to go 3200, the clip is dark, when i press play the exposure changes, like the embedded iso setting jumps or something, idk, I can replicate it just going between clips. Is this a bug?

Much appreciated.

Uli Plank

Re: Lut embedded in file

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Shooting RAW? Learn about the options in the RAW tab and the RAW presets in the project settings.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

timbutt2

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:53 am

The LUT is embedded in the BRAW metadata. You can disable that LUT in the RAW tab in Resolve and apply a different LUT via the Sidecar file. This then allows you to choose between the Embedded LUT and the Sidecar LUT.

Playing back in camera it will playback with the Embedded LUT, but from what I understand if it's the same LUT you currently have selected in the Display LUT then you will see it as it was shot with the LUT applied. I haven't tried changing Display LUT options with playing back footage shot with a certain Embedded LUT. I'll do a test tomorrow if I can since I only have post editing work to do tomorrow.

Otherwise, I'm still pushing the idea of BRAW Presets that can allow you to use a custom LUT with those settings to make the whole process more engaging and creative. There's a lot of potential here. Either way, just thoughts on ways to make it more creative.

I'll get back to you with my tests on my URSA Mini Pro G2 tomorrow.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 1:44 am

timbutt2 wrote: apply a different LUT via the Sidecar file. This then allows you to choose between the Embedded LUT and the Sidecar LUT.
Have you gotten that to work? I've got all the latest firmware and latest version of Resolve, and there is no option to add a LUT to the sidecar. Only the LUT embedded in the metadata from the camera that can be either enabled or disabled.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Nick Papps

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 9:01 pm

Still searching for an answer to this:

Some of my clips don't have the "Lut" tick box available in the raw tab, while most other clips that I shot do. What's the reason for this? Is there a way to enable it for the clips that don't show it?

Thanks!

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 5:19 am

Nick Papps wrote:Still searching for an answer to this:

Some of my clips don't have the "Lut" tick box available in the raw tab, while most other clips that I shot do. What's the reason for this? Is there a way to enable it for the clips that don't show it?

Thanks!
You have to embed the LUT as metadata in camera (an option in the camera settings) for the LUT option to be available in Resolve raw tab.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to Cinematography