[URGENT] Yellow Horizontal Line on Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

spruceweb

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello,

A few days ago, while filming on set, a solid horizontal yellow line showed up on my monitor. The camera was used in a studio environment...no spills, drops or anything. The line just appeared. I've never seen this line before and don't know what the cause of it is and how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

-Mathew

Hi Rick - I did call Blackmagic and they said the warranty expired. I'm filming a project in Ghana, West Africa and can't use the camera anymore because of that. Blackmagic said they don't have any service centers in Africa which I mean I'd have to ship it back to the U.S. However, by the time I ship it, get it fixed and get it shipped back, it could be almost 45 days and I don't have that much time left on the project.

Denis - The line shows up on the recordings as well.

I did more test and realized that line is a result of the peaking. Normally, when you press the peaking button, you see the red all over the screen. However, I'm not sure what happened, but when I press peaking now, the yellow line turns red which lets me know that the issue has to do with the peaking.

The camera records video and audio without any issues and there's no other problems with the camera. The image quality is amazing except the line you see in the pic.

If there's even a way for me to remove that line without affecting the image would be great. I was able to use resolve to track and remove the line but it affected the image.

I don't know what else to do.
Attachments
ursamini.jpg
ursamini.jpg (475.39 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
ursa_mini_issue.jpg
ursa_mini_issue.jpg (666.73 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Last edited by spruceweb on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathew

rick.lang

Re: [URGENT] Yellow Horizontal Line on Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G1

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:20 am

Did you call BMD Support? Are you under warranty?
Rick Lang

Denis Kazlowski

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 am

spruceweb wrote:Hello,

A few days ago, while filming on set, a solid horizontal yellow line showed up on my monitor. The camera was used in a studio environment...no spills, drops or anything. The line just appeared. I've never seen this line before and don't know what the cause of it is and how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

-Mathew

Does this line end up in what you shoot or just on the display?

spruceweb

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 10:21 am

Hi Rick - I did call Blackmagic and they said the warranty expired. I'm filming a project in Ghana, West Africa and can't use the camera anymore because of that. Blackmagic said they don't have any service centers in Africa which I mean I'd have to ship it back to the U.S. However, by the time I ship it, get it fixed and get it shipped back, it could be almost 45 days and I don't have that much time left on the project.

Denis - The line shows up on the recordings as well.

I did more test and realized that line is a result of the peaking. Normally, when you press the peaking button, you see the red all over the screen. However, I'm not sure what happened, but when I press peaking now, the yellow line turns red which lets me know that the issue has to do with the peaking.

The camera records video and audio without any issues and there's no other problems with the camera. The image quality is amazing except the line you see in the pic.

If there's even a way for me to remove that line without affecting the image would be great. I was able to use resolve to track and remove the line but it affected the image.

I don't know what else to do.
Attachments
ursamini.jpg
ursamini.jpg (475.39 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
Mathew

Earl R. Thurston

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 1:11 am

spruceweb wrote:I did more test and realized that line is a result of the peaking...when I press peaking now, the yellow line turns red which lets me know that the issue has to do with the peaking.

Unfortunately, the peaking function isn't causing the line -- it's simply telling you "the line is in focus".

All of the symptoms indicate damage/failure on the sensor itself. Where the line ends towards the right there are several affected pixels which are likely dead. It's at this point the rest of the row towards the left is effectively dead as well. The signal processor is outputting this as a yellow line, and the peaking function is interpreting it as part of your image.

I honestly can't see any way of fixing this other than having the sensor replaced.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 2:00 am

Some photo programs can replace an area and intelligently blend the surrounding areas from the image. I think Photoshop can do that but I don’t know if there’s a batch process you can run your images through. It might be that Premiere or After Effects can do it. Perhaps worth a look in Fusion. I don’t have experience with these, but post in the Resolve and Fusion forums here and you may get help!
Rick Lang

Username

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 am

It almost looks like a laser burn damage.
Especially if you look at the right end of the line.
Clubs with laser in the light effects and lidar sensors on cars have caused damages before.

Could that be the case?

When a sensor or some pixel/mosaic raws gets damaged you usually can see that’s it’s a clean single pixel line that is dead or misbehaving from one side to another. And the lines are static and fixed.

Although I had a Nikon ones which the sensor board, not the sensor, began to misbehave on. It showed 3-5 clean horizontal lines straight over the saved photo on the memory card. But never in live view and never on the same place in two photos. The memory or signal processing board after the sensor capture was bad.
that was replaced on warranty.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Tom Sijmons

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:17 pm

You can try to fix it in After Effects. What i would do is draw a mask just over de orange line so that it gets subtracted from the image.

This means you don't have the line but a hole in the picture, which you now can fill up.
Duplicate the layer, remove the mask, and put it underneath the one with the mask (subtracted).
Now move this layer a few pixels up or down, whatever gives you the best results.
Hope that works for you.

Return to Cinematography