Power Smallhd Focus 5 from 4 pin xlr 12v output

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Joseph Ciccarella

Power Smallhd Focus 5 from 4 pin xlr 12v output

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 11:08 pm

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Is it possible to power a SmallHD Focus 5, which takes Sony L type batteries, using a converter cable / dummy battery, from the URSA mini pro’s 12v out that’s meant for the viewfinder.

Hawk-Woods makes an L dummy battery to 4 pin male xlr, that would seem to work, but they only sell it in the UK, it’s the LR-04. I’m wondering if it’s a voltage thing and that’s why they can use it and we can’t in the US. It’s not sold anywhere here in the states.

Anyone have any ideas or would using that 12v power fry the smallhd.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Howard Roll

Re: Power Smallhd Focus 5 from 4 pin xlr 12v output

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 am

That should present no problem so long as the voltage is properly stepped down. The Hawk Woods stuff looks good. The Alvin's Cable guy can make custom stuff, cheap, and fast.

Obviously you've seen the web is full of Dtap to NP dummies, alternately you could cut off the Dtap and solder on an XLR and you're good. My soldering skills will probably never be called "skills" by another human and I can knock this one out in less time than it takes the iron to heat up.

Good Luck

Joseph Ciccarella

Re: Power Smallhd Focus 5 from 4 pin xlr 12v output

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 7:29 pm

Thank you!
I’ll contact the Alvin’s cable guy as I have 0 soldering skills.
Yeah, I have the L to Dtap and it works fine, but I sometimes need a few Dtap options and want to put that power output to use instead of using the Dtap hub.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Return to Getting Started