Battery F970 Plate

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

eraizgn

Battery F970 Plate

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 11:49 am

Hello,
I was a videographer with DSLR cameras for a long time, like mark5d. And I bought BMPCC 6k with the Tilta accessories and I do not know anything about that camera, I have tried to watch many videos about it, have tried to read many posts. Unfortunately, my language is limited and can not understand every post that I read.

There is a thing about dummy batteries, Is it good or not for Tilta 970 plate and BMPCC6k.

Is 0.2V important for it or not?
Which do I need to use for SSD T5 and BMPCC
7.4v or 12.v (DC Male Power Cable)

Which batteries suit both of them?

When I use those batteries, sometimes BMPCC6K does not work, it closes and opens many times. I try to record 6K Raw it closes. I switch off the camera from ON/OFF but it still tries to re-opening itself.

It is not doing it with its own battery. My Set-up is
DJI Ronin
DJI Wireless Follow Focus
Tilta Armor Man2
Tilta BMPCC 6K Full Camera
Cage SSD Drive Holder
Top Handle
and Tilta F970 Plate and bunch of batteries

So Could you help me to figure out what do I need to?
I just want to record 2-3 hours Blackmagic RAW or ProRes to SSD with one battery at The Tilta F970 Plate. I can buy a bunch of F970 Battery or another brand.

Which Output should be used for recording to SSD on Tilta 970?
7.4v or 12v

if you help me out, I will so glad
cheers
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (266.52 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (254.69 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (255.66 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
"try to show people in the best light."

eraizgn

Re: Battery F970 Plate

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 am

Hello guys

I am struggling a few days how to fix my battery issue at BMPCC 6K

Next week I have to big shooting and still do not know what I need to do.

I have watched a bunch of a video on youtube and many people used to TPowerextra Multifunctional Battery Pack which is amazon link

I just want to record 6K Raw to SSD with The Tilta 970 plate which is amazon link

so, guys, could you help me, please?

Is the only value of battery suiting to camera a 7.4v 6600mAh with 48.8Wh?

I found many batteries like 7.4v 9700mAh with 71.8Wh

7.4v 7900mAh 58.8Wh...

If I bought those batteries, it will work smoothly?

Frank Engel

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:29 pm

It bothers me that some of the batteries are 7.4v and others 7.2v, but after some searching, that seems to be common. As to whether or not that will cause a problem I think you would need to check with Tilta. I don't see it spelled out on their site, and since the F970 batteries are what the plate claims to handle and are 7.2v, I don't think I would try the 7.4v batteries without asking them.

The cameras are rated for 12V-20V so the plate is obviously doing some conversion to get the the voltage of the power up to what the camera wants - it will depend on the plate.

Bear in mind you will need a charger for the batteries as well.

The mAh rating largely determines how long the battery will last on a full charge - the higher the rating, the more run time you have, and the longer the batteries will take to charge.

Sami Sanpakkila

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Frank Engel wrote:I don't think I would try the 7.4v batteries without asking them.

The cameras are rated for 12V-20V so the plate is obviously doing some conversion to get the the voltage of the power up to what the camera wants - it will depend on the plate.

From the manual: "The battery input connection is rated from 6.2V to 10V max. The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max." The plates that are used to input power from NP-F batteries to the DC input of the camera up the voltage from 7.2 to 12V. This works but it is not smart as upping the voltage uses additional power. So you get almost half the battery life you would get if you were to use the NP-F with a dummy battery going to the battery input.

So with the NP-F 7.2V batteries it is smarter to use a dummy battery.

eraizgn

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Sami Sanpakkila wrote:
From the manual: "The battery input connection is rated from 6.2V to 10V max. The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max." The plates that are used to input power from NP-F batteries to the DC input of the camera up the voltage from 7.2 to 12V. This works but it is not smart as upping the voltage uses additional power. So you get almost half the battery life you would get if you were to use the NP-F with a dummy battery going to the battery input.
So with the NP-F 7.2V batteries it is smarter to use a dummy battery.

Frank Engel wrote:It bothers me that some of the batteries are 7.4v and others 7.2v, but after some searching, that seems to be common. As to whether or not that will cause a problem I think you would need to check with Tilta. I don't see it spelled out on their site, and since the F970 batteries are what the plate claims to handle and are 7.2v, I don't think I would try the 7.4v batteries without asking them.
Bear in mind you will need a charger for the batteries as well.
The mAh rating largely determines how long the battery will last on a full charge - the higher the rating, the more run time you have, and the longer the batteries will take to charge.

Guys, I have just talked to the Tilta support guy and he mailed me like:

I would recommend only the Sony brand F970. The plate is only tested for that battery. I would say use the brand name battery if possible, but the specs need to be identical to the F970 to guarantee that the plate will work properly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you out with. Have a great day!

and

We have not tested those other batteries on the plate so we can not guarantee that it will work properly. However if the battery has the same specs, being 7.4v 6600mAh and 48.8Wh it should work fine. The pin layout must be the same as well. I do not believe the it will work properly if the specs aren't identical.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with. Have a great day!

Best,

Tilta Inc.
2801 W Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91505

Howard Roll

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Sony discontinued that battery at least 5 years ago probably closer to 10. Why Tilta would even bother to reply with this nonsense is beyond me.

Take the 12V out from the plate to the DC in on the camera, that's all there is to it. The Pocket is the poster child for the product.

If that doesn't work then something is wrong.

Eliminate the camera and DC input as the source of the problem by plugging into AC. If the issue persists call Blackmagic.

Do the batteries work in other devices? If they function properly then the Tilta plate is all that's left barring the cable. Does wiggling the cable do anything?

Good Luck

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Use your 7.4V battery in the Tilta F970. Observe the caution in the BMPCC manual which recommends against having an internal battery in the camera with custom external power. Connect the 12V output of the F970 battery plate to the external power input port of the camera. Alternatively, connect the 7.4 output to the camera via a dummy battery adapter but don't connect anything to the external power port at the same time.

Does that work? If not, you may have a defective battery plate. If it does work, try out your 7.2V batteries.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Take the 12V out from the plate to the DC in on the camera, that's all there is to it. The Pocket is the poster child for the product.

That's what I do on the original Pocket and it has worked fine for the past year or so since I bought the Tilta plate; I've used NPF-750 batteries from several manufacturers (Ravpower, Atomos) with no problems. I remove the internal battery when using the Tilta plate. The only issue I've experienced is that the camera will continually power itself back on after being powered off, but that's probably a glitch with my original Pocket (which has a number of other problems). I just shut off the camera and immediately disconnect the cable from the Tilta plate to keep the camera from powering back on. If I leave the internal battery in place while powering with the Tilta plate, the camera shuts down normally.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 8:07 pm

I use it from two years with patona nfp970 compatible without problems.
I ever leave battery in camera, this mean if I finish the power of fnp camera continue to record with internal battery and I can change external battery.
I ever use external power, to have internal to keep recording and be cause external ac had more room of volt changment without damage of camera. Nfp could be use with numerous adapter like with Vmount plate, dual of it (48w) are similar of my 95w gmount, less expansive and more usable.
Actually I can power pocket, led panel, vmount cameras and more...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

eraizgn

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 am

Brad Hurley wrote: I remove the internal battery when using the Tilta plate. The only issue I've experienced is that the camera will continually power itself back on after being powered off, but that's probably a glitch with my original Pocket (which has a number of other problems). I just shut off the camera and immediately disconnect the cable from the Tilta plate to keep the camera from powering back on. If I leave the internal battery in place while powering with the Tilta plate, the camera shuts down normally.

Dude, it is the same thing happening to me. It tries to re-opening itself, right? Even though you switch off the ON/OFF button on the camera...

So the solution is when you use the Tilta 970 or another brand's plate, I must use the original lp-e6n battery in the camera?

The Tilta 970 plate with battery gives to charge to lp-e6n battery or dummy battery in the camera

eraizgn

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:14 am

Howard Roll wrote:Sony discontinued that battery at least 5 years ago probably closer to 10. Why Tilta would even bother to reply with this nonsense is beyond me.

Take the 12V out from the plate to the DC in on the camera, that's all there is to it. The Pocket is the poster child for the product.

If that doesn't work then something is wrong.

Eliminate the camera and DC input as the source of the problem by plugging into AC. If the issue persists call Blackmagic.

Do the batteries work in other devices? If they function properly then the Tilta plate is all that's left barring the cable. Does wiggling the cable do anything?

Good Luck

Thank you for being helping
Yes, it does work in the other devices and The Tilta plate is working as well.
It will work with ProRes section in proprely but if I switch it to 6k raw

this happening

Brad Hurley wrote:The only issue I've experienced is that the camera will continually power itself back on after being powered off, but that's probably a glitch with my original Pocket (which has a number of other problems). I just shut off the camera and immediately disconnect the cable from the Tilta plate to keep the camera from powering back on. If I leave the internal battery in place while powering with the Tilta plate, the camera shuts down normally.

it closes and re-opening many times
I think it is kinda voltage issue that's why I am asking

Do I need to use only 7.4v 6600mAh with 48.8 wh
or is this the lower limation values to power?

I ordered the battery which is 7.4v 9700mAh with 78.8 wh I hope it will be working

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm

If you're connecting the F970 plate at the 7.4V output using the cable in your picture to the DC 12V power input on the left side of the camera, I wouldn't be surprised if your camera turns on and off since that input of the BMPCC 4K/6K is rated for 10.8V to 20V according to the manual. I'm not going to experiment with my camera to see if it will operate outside that range. Connect the camera's DC 12V power input to the 12V output of the F970.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:If you're connecting the F970 plate at the 7.4V output using the cable in your picture to the DC 12V power input on the left side of the camera, I wouldn't be surprised if your camera turns on and off since that input of the BMPCC 4K/6K is rated for 10.8V to 20V according to the manual.

No, in my case at least I have always used the 12v output not the 7.4v output. To clarify, the camera runs normally when turned on; it's only when you try to turn it off that it starts turning itself back on again. It basically won't turn off if it's connected only to the F970 plate without an internal battery inserted. If you insert a battery into the battery compartment and then run power in from the F970 plate (which is generally not recommended according to instructions from BMD I've seen here on the forum), the camera turns off normally and stays off.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

OK, I understand now.

I believe that the problem with having an internal battery with external power connected arises if the internal battery is discharged. Since the power consumption of a BMPCC 4K/6K is stated to be 30W when operating the camera and charging the internal battery (and by my measurements can exceed that by a couple of watts), you can have issues with a battery plate like the F970 powered by an NP-F battery. I have not seen a maximum power rating for the F970. I did see a max current rating for one of the NP-F batteries at 4A and others lower, meaning that the NP-F battery is rated at 28W or less.

If I were to operate this way (external + internal battery), either for this issue or just to have an extended run time, I would make sure that the internal battery is fully charged before turning on the camera with external power via an F970 or similar.

Chris Chiasson

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:38 am

The 12v output is meant for connecting to the power port. While the 7.4v output is more meant for a dummy battery. I have not run into any issues when removing the internal while powering with an external, but it's probably something you shouldn't do. I don't see why you'd want to swap the internal while powering with an external.

As for batteries, I suggest getting some from known brands. There's a lot of bad clone batteries that aren't giving the exact power they claim. I do recommend getting batteries that are 7.4 if you're going the dummy battery route. When it comes to 12V route with the power cable, I suggest switching the battery settings to show the volts. When it says you have 11 volts, you're good. But once it drops to 8.4V to 7.8V, means you gotta swap. It's suppose to switch to the internal battery once the voltage goes below 7.4V. That's usually what happens. Though I prefer to just switch batteries, or disconnect the power cable, before it dies, just so it can switch to the internal battery without any issues.

In my tests, 3500mAh lasts 1.25 Hours. 5000mAh lasts 1.40 hours. And 7200mAh lasts 3 hours more or less. Depending on the internal battery you have, that adds another 20 to 40 minutes. And less time when using SSD and Phantom Powering a Mic. Also, older batteries will die faster since batteries hold less charge as they age. If you want 3 hours powering all three, I suggest a V-Mount Battery if swapping externals isn't an option.

Return to Cinematography