Thunderbolt monitoring?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

alan.q.thomas

Thunderbolt monitoring?

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm

I haven't purchased a BMCC, but I plan to. I had a question regarding external monitoring. I'm not sure if my question will make any sense though. I looked through the FAQ's and other threads and haven't found a definite answer.

Can an external monitor be connected through the Thunderbolt output on the BMCC? I'd be looking to connect, say a 7" monitor, to a small jib. Monitors with an SDI input seem to be out of my price range. I'm trying to keep it around $500. The thunderbolt output would be perfect because I could use a small and cheap converter to get it from thunderbolt to HDMI. I don't need an incredibly elaborate set up. I'm just looking to hook up HDMI monitors basically. I guess my actual question is, can I live monitor from the BMCC through the Thunderbolt port?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

rick.lang

Re: Thunderbolt monitoring?

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm

alan.q.thomas wrote:I haven't purchased a BMCC, but I plan to. I had a question regarding external monitoring. I'm not sure if my question will make any sense though. I looked through the FAQ's and other threads and haven't found a definite answer.

Can an external monitor be connected through the Thunderbolt output on the BMCC? I'd be looking to connect, say a 7" monitor, to a small jib. Monitors with an SDI input seem to be out of my price range. I'm trying to keep it around $500. The thunderbolt output would be perfect because I could use a small and cheap converter to get it from thunderbolt to HDMI. I don't need an incredibly elaborate set up. I'm just looking to hook up HDMI monitors basically. I guess my actual question is, can I live monitor from the BMCC through the Thunderbolt port?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Alan, are you aware that you can connect a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt and run the included Ultrascope software? You get five scope display plus your video image.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

adamroberts

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 2:08 pm

You can only monitor via Thunderbolt by using a computer. The BMCC is a Thunderbolt peripheral. As are all Thunderbolt converters. It needs a host (Mac or PC) to decode the signal.

You can monitor via HDSDI and via HDMI with an converter.

David Sandberg

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm

You can get pretty cheap sdi to hdmi converters. Not as simple as a thunderbolt to hdmi, but it's something.

alan.q.thomas

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I appreciate it!

I was aware of the UltraScope monitoring via Thunerbolt, but carrying around a laptop would be too clunky for me on location for a shoot. I was hoping I could live monitor through it as well. Too bad I can't.

So in that case, I have a follow up question. If I were to get a monitor such as this, (just picking at random). Would the composite or component BNC inputs be able to take in an HD signal from the SDI on the BMCC? It says it can support up to a 1080p signal (and display a 1280x800 one). Will the composite input be able to take an HD signal?

Sorry if this question is amateur. I'm primarily a DSLR shooter and have only worked with HDMI monitors before. I'm not all too familiar with SDI (yet ;) ). Again, you're responses are greatly appreciated!

ChrisBarcellos

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

It should, but confirm with dealer before ordering. I am using a 7 inch Marshall HDMI monitor with similar specs. I feed it by inputting SDI signal from the BMCC to my BM Shuttle recorder, and converting it in the Shuttle for monitoring purposes to HDMI out which I feed to the Marshall monitor. Had to buy special cable to match, and the damn SDI pins are pretty touchy on the Shuttle too.

Csaba Nagy

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Might I suggest, you could possibly buy a used/older 11" mac book air that has thunderbolt. wont come in 7" form factor obviously, but it has a built in battery, lightweight, wireless connections, decent display, etc..just a thought. Really depends if you are willing to pay a little extra.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 pm

alan.q.thomas wrote:If I were to get a monitor such as this, (just picking at random). Would the composite or component BNC inputs be able to take in an HD signal from the SDI on the BMCC?

No.

Component BNC is an analog signal, SDI is a digital signal, they can't be easily converted. You can use a converter from SDI to HDMI though.

alan.q.thomas

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you all very much for your help! I'll be considering all of your input as I make a decision on what to do! :D

Blaine Russom

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 am

David Sandberg wrote:You can get pretty cheap sdi to hdmi converters. Not as simple as a thunderbolt to hdmi, but it's something.

How reliable is that? Does it get hot after runing for more than an hour? Does it need power?

Dustin Svehlak

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 am

Blien wrote:
David Sandberg wrote:You can get pretty cheap sdi to hdmi converters. Not as simple as a thunderbolt to hdmi, but it's something.

How reliable is that? Does it get hot after runing for more than an hour? Does it need power?

+1 as someone who is about to drop $300 on the Blackmagic battery converter, I'd love to know if this $40 box does the trick.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Johannes Leistner

PostSun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Hello everyone. I haven't got a BMCC yet, but I'm trying to figure out what my workflow will be once I'll get one.. Now, this might be a stupid question, but: Is there a way to get a full-screen live view of the BMCC's image on a Macbook Pro via the Thunderbolt connection? I know that I can run Ultrascope, but I don't know that programm, so I'm wondering: Is it possible to select a single scope (eg the video image) and show it fullscreen?
Thanks!

Return to Cinematography