Original BMPCC looks like it got a crack in the screen

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Original BMPCC looks like it got a crack in the screen

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Goran, very interesting. I hate to be the one to promote infidelity and promiscuity but you might like to ask a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to dance as I consider this a talented partner if you can’t find another original BMCC. “I’ve got a feeling” you’re going to fall in love again!
Rick Lang

Chris Leutger

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Looks good, that lens looks fine. For that late stuff, were you shooting wide open at 1600? The shadows look really nice. If you have three, and the one with the cracked screen still works, I think you're safe.

I'm still using mine. You're making me want to get another one. I'm about to take mine down to LA next week. We'll see whether that footage makes me want to continue this dance or to take out another....
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Brad Hurley

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

goran diffner wrote:I am constantly looking foor cheap vintage lens tips so if you got one you like and recommend please share.

If you don't already have the Helios 44-2 58mm, you should get that. It has a M43 mount (not to be confused with micro four-thirds) but adaptors are cheap and widely available. Gorgeous sharp images and nice bokeh with amazing flares, and the lens typically costs less than $100 USD. I have spent thousands on lenses but this is the one that makes my heart sing.

Paotrig Helios small.jpg
Paotrig Helios small.jpg (595.56 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:26 pm

I also like the Helios 58mm, but it never came in an M43 mount. Normally it's an M42 screw mount, I think you may find them also in L39.

If you like that Yashica lens, you may want to look for some other focal length, most of them are quite nice. They had close cooperation with Zeiss at the time and some people call these 'poor man's Zeiss'.

Another interesting line of lenses are those by Minolta for the older SR mount, also called MC or MD mount. They were in close cooperation with Leica, so these are 'poor man's Leica' lenses. The advantage here is the good prices you can still get since they don't adapt to the most popular mount, the Canon EF mount. They work fine on the BMPCC, since that has a very short mount, just like the BMCC 4K.

I started a long thread about these over here:
reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

BTW, there are some other threads over at reduser under Lens Tests covering vintage glass, written by very informed people. Another place to check is: vintagelensesforvideo.com
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Curtis Campsall

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Use it till it dies as long as it doesn't effect the image no worries. Unless you always use 3 you shouldn't need to find another. There are some good deals on eBay, but you'll never know the condition for sure.

I'm with you on loving the original, and not having any real need for the 4k. HD is more than good enough for low budget narrative, I've seen it projected in professional theatre and it is beautiful. Problem is I only have one, and would like to get another if I find the right deal. I'm tempted to spend a bit more and get an original mft cinema cam, but then I'd be into building it out from scratch, as all of my kit is for the pocket.
Dop16mm on the other forum

Chris Leutger

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:33 am

Brad Hurley wrote:If you don't already have the Helios 44-2 58mm, you should get that. It has a M43 mount (not to be confused with micro four-thirds) but adaptors are cheap and widely available. Gorgeous sharp images and nice bokeh with amazing flares, and the lens typically costs less than $100 USD. I have spent thousands on lenses but this is the one that makes my heart sing.

Brad, can you get a Leitax EF for that mount? I've read about that lens before, thanks for reminding me.
Amateur Auteur

Brad Hurley

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 am

Chris Leutger wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:Brad, can you get a Leitax EF for that mount? I've read about that lens before, thanks for reminding me.

A Google search for "m42 to ef adapter" turns up a lot of options; it looks like Leitax did at one time make an adapter for Canon EF but it's not clear whether they still do. Uli is right of course, it's M42 mount, not M43 (I was too lazy to look it up when I wrote that post and misremembered).

Note that this lens is a telephoto on the Pocket unless you use a speedbooster, which I don't.

For affordable zoom lenses, I love my Tokina 28-70mm-f2.6 to 2.8, which I got used in excellent condition for about $350. It's based on an Angenieux design. I got the Nikon mount in order to have manual control over aperture/iris, and I use it with either a Metabones speedbooster or a Metabones dumb adapter, which gives me a wide range of options for focal length. The only complaint I have is that the Metabones adapters are not a snug fit on my original Pocket (they are a perfect fit on my Micro Cinema Camera), so there's a fair bit of play when I use those lenses on the original Pocket.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 am

Flange distance is more critical for wides than for tele. Plus, it's very critical for parfocal zooms and for retrofocal wides (the ones that have a long flange distance for a moving mirror).

For other lenses you may just not get to infinity or the distance scale will be off.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Chris Leutger

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 1:49 am

I was wondering about Leitax because I've had all my Contax lenses Leitaxed by Duclos. But it wasn't clear to me whether they make M42 to EF or not. But yes, I can get a dumb adapter. I recently got the Metabones for the Pocket. So that's why I was asking. I thought it would be cool if I could the Helios cine-modded and adapter for Canon and use the Metabones to reduce the reach. I'll ask Duclos. Thanks!
Amateur Auteur

Return to Cinematography