Problem when exporting individual clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

spyderskidoo

Problem when exporting individual clips

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am

Hi,

I have a very strange problem. Everything was working perfectly until today. I have Davinci Resolve Studio 16, latest version. I want to export individual clips as usual, same export settings as always, but davinci stops rendering at second clip every time. It doesn't crash or show error, just "time to finish" goes up until forever. I tried to change second clip for another, but is the same with every clip. I even tried another project, but is always the same. I didn't change anything in the last months, everything was working perfectly.

I have no idea why it just stops...

EDIT: I just tried single clip export and it worked for few clips, however it stops again then. So single clip export does not work too. Video on the link:
https://we.tl/t-3L7cRYOaoo

Jim Simon

Re: Problem when exporting individual clips

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm

spyderskidoo wrote:latest version.

As a general rule, terms like "latest", "current", "newest", etc. are meaningless for a few reasons.

1. People sometimes believe they have the "latest" version, but don't.

2. The "latest" version will change soon. New versions can both fix as well as introduce bugs.

3. It's important for future readers to know which specific version an issue applies to.

I think it's best to list out the specific version number when asking for help. That applies to software, drivers, operating systems, and even hardware.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

spyderskidoo

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
spyderskidoo wrote:latest version.

As a general rule, terms like "latest", "current", "newest", etc. are meaningless for a few reasons.

1. People sometimes believe they have the "latest" version, but don't.

2. The "latest" version will change soon. New versions can both fix as well as introduce bugs.

3. It's important for future readers to know which specific version an issue applies to.

I think it's best to list out the specific version number when asking for help. That applies to software, drivers, operating systems, and even hardware.

I have davinci version 16.1.2.026, when I click check for updates, it says it's the latest. I am using mac os high sierra and didn't update anything in the last week. We have video production and need this machine every day. Yesterday was working, today Davinci just stops rendering, no matter what clip we try.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:38 am

You didn't tell us about your machine. It could be an overheating problem, typical for Apple where function follows form. Try to reduce the render speed for Deliver and see if that helps.
Which codec are you using for export?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

spyderskidoo

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 8:38 am

It is not overheating problem, because I am working on this machine for 3 years, every day and it all worked with no problem. I am using .mov format, h.264 codec. As I said, everything is the same like always, so I don't see why would that be a problem now.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 9:17 am

Hi Ziga

Let's start with the basic info requested in the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190 -
• a link to the log file,
• a description of the timeline and clip (e.g. what codec is it, what effects it has etc),
• a description of your render settings (e.g. are you rendering locally? what codec settings? what render settings apart from individual clips?)
• your system - which mac, what hardware specs, what GPU processing mode? (please note that the minimum requirements for 16.1.2 include macOS Mojave)

To rule out issues with project or render settings, try isolating the issue using steps similar to these:
• copy clip1 and clip2.
• In the project manager, context click, enable dynamic switching, create a new project and paste these into a new timeline.
• Using individual clips and default render settings, render to a folder on the Desktop as a ProRes clip.
• you can use in-out points to isolate specific parts of the clip for a quicker render test
• once you can establish that it renders locally, you can tweak the settings to determine the difference in settings causes the issue

SylvestCorp

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi
I have the same issue Dual Radeon VII threadripper 3960x Windows 10 Home DR “latest” as of last weekend. My issue starts with render goes to “0” and the First time i klik the gui the system is dead and Long Press Force restart is the only Way out. If i wait the screen goes black and hangs.
I didnt find a solution, but i bought a rtx 2080 super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 2:50 am

It is not the same issue since you have a very different machine and OS.
But to give any help, we need all the information listed above.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

SylvestCorp

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am

SylvestCorp wrote:Hi
I have the same issue Dual Radeon VII threadripper 3960x Windows 10 Home DR “latest” as of last weekend. My issue starts with render goes to “0” and the First time i klik the gui the system is dead and Long Press Force restart is the only Way out. If i wait the screen goes black and hangs.

Just a note that it seems to be gpu releated.

SylvestCorp

PostSun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm

SylvestCorp wrote:

Driver AMD 19.11.3 is stable.

SylvestCorp

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 am

SylvestCorp wrote:
SylvestCorp wrote:

Driver AMD 19.11.3 is stable.

I have had som luck with a single Radeon VII and pro driver 20.2.2

SylvestCorp

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Dual Radeon VII is a no go. Freeze and crash.

Steban42

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Hey,

I was having this same issue and looked here for a solution. I didn't see one, but others writing about GPU issues gave me the idea of unchecking the "use hardware acceleration if available" box. That did the trick for me. Slowed render times, but at least rendered each individual clip instead of stopping after 2 clips every time. Worth a shot!

Steve

Return to DaVinci Resolve