Saving is a pain in the ass

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sricabla

Saving is a pain in the ass

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 pm

When you save a project, why doesn't Resolve show where you are saving to? Why can't you see where you save? Why can't you save where you might want to? It would save a lot of headache if at least one of the first things in the Tutorials, if they did this first. Most apps let you save to a location that is that you choose. This would be a godsend, especially if you do a project. Make saving easier. PLEASE!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.36.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.36.55 PM.png (418.29 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Brad Hurley

Re: Saving is a pain in the ass

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 pm

See Chapter 2 in the manual.

Whenever you save a project, it gets saved to the project's database. You made a decision, when you set up Resolve for the first time, where that database resides.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

sricabla

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks for your reply! I forgot where I put it. It should still let you know where it is. I'm sure I'm not the only one who might of forgotten where I put it.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 pm

sricabla wrote:Thanks for your reply! I forgot where I put it. It should still let you know where it is. I'm sure I'm not the only one who might of forgotten where I put it.

It does, it just doesn't tell you when you use "save as" because "save as" will always save it to the current database.

To find out where your database is located, go to the Project Manager (click the little house icon at the bottom right corner of the Davinci Resolve window) and then click on the little "show/hide databases" icon to the left of the word "Projects" at the top left of the Project Manager window. Click on it to reveal your database(s) and its location. This is also where you go to make backups of your database (always a good idea) and to restore databases.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Reginald56

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 pm

sricabla wrote:When you save a project, why doesn't Resolve show where you are saving to? PLEASE!

Yeah, I much preferred (in PP) the ability to easily save the project file to wherever I wanted to. I don't understand this "database" nonsense at all.

TYKHAN

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Reginald56 wrote:
sricabla wrote:When you save a project, why doesn't Resolve show where you are saving to? PLEASE!

Yeah, I much preferred (in PP) the ability to easily save the project file to wherever I wanted to. I don't understand this "database" nonsense at all.

In Resolve you EXPORT the project file where ever you want to save it and whatever you want to name it, its same as in premiere “Save As”.
BOARD: ASUS X99-E WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.5GHz
RAM: 4x 16 Kingston DDR4 2133MHz ECC
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Driver v472.12
PSU: Corsair RM750w
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.1 build 4

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:59 am

Reginald56 wrote:I don't understand this "database" nonsense at all.

This 'nonsense', as you call it, comes from the fact that Resolve was climbing down the ladder from a high-end professional environment where such a kind of data management is essential. OTOH, Premiere 'Pro' is trying to climb up from amateur use into pro territory. BTW, up to version 5.1, it was one of the buggiest programs I ever tried to use in my life!

Personally, I prefer the database concept. Not only for serious collaboration environments but also for university labs.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 am

sricabla wrote:When you save a project, why doesn't Resolve show where you are saving to? Why can't you see where you save?

I think you need to rid your mind of the way other programs work and embrace how Resolve is designed.

What you can do -- which is what I do -- is, after I save a project in the Project Manager, which is how it normally works, I always export a backup copy of the file to a "Color" folder within the Project source file folder on the source drive. If things go south (which is very unlikely), I can always recover with the backup.

If you're mainly editing, the (free) Advanced Editing textbook that Blackmagic gives away for free has some really valuable information, and that will help you make the transition from Premiere or Avid to Resolve:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Charles Bennett

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm

If you click the info icon then right click on the database location it will show you the path to where it is.
Attachments
Database Location.jpg
Database Location.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Reginald56

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 8:28 pm

TYKHAN wrote:
Reginald56 wrote:

In Resolve you EXPORT the project file where ever you want to save it and whatever you want to name it, its same as in premiere “Save As”.

When I try to "save as," I get a message that the file "already exists in the database." When I export the project file, it shows up as a Drawpad file on my PC.

Reginald56

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 8:31 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
sricabla wrote:When you save a project, why doesn't Resolve show where you are saving to? Why can't you see where you save?

I think you need to rid your mind of the way other programs work and embrace how Resolve is designed.

What you can do -- which is what I do -- is, after I save a project in the Project Manager, which is how it normally works, I always export a backup copy of the file to a "Color" folder within the Project source file folder on the source drive. If things go south (which is very unlikely), I can always recover with the backup.

If you're mainly editing, the (free) Advanced Editing textbook that Blackmagic gives away for free has some really valuable information, and that will help you make the transition from Premiere or Avid to Resolve:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

The thing is, most of us already spent a year getting proficient at FCP or PP. If BM was smart, and don't get me wrong - I love DR and am super thankful they invented it, but if it were as much like what we're already used to, it'd be better.

Return to DaVinci Resolve