One question and one concern

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hans Engstrom

One question and one concern

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 am

My question.
When an external monitor is plugged in does it show the framing or the menu system if someone is fiddling in the menu? Did a feature on the RED and it sucked to not be able to change anything without it showing up for the director as well.

And then my concern.
The thing I´m most scared of is if the lcd touchscreen will handle cold winter conditions or not? It would be nice to have a alternative way to change the settings if it fails. Hopefully it will stay warm as it is attached to the camera body, but who knows? Where I live it´s not uncommon to work in -20 celsius but I have worked in -30 celsius as well.

regards
Hans Engstrom
1st AC
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/

John Brawley

Re: One question and one concern

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 am

Hans Engstrom wrote:My question.
When an external monitor is plugged in does it show the framing or the menu system if someone is fiddling in the menu? Did a feature on the RED and it sucked to not be able to change anything without it showing up for the director as well.

And then my concern.
The thing I´m most scared of is if the lcd touchscreen will handle cold winter conditions or not? It would be nice to have a alternative way to change the settings if it fails. Hopefully it will stay warm as it is attached to the camera body, but who knows? Where I live it´s not uncommon to work in -20 celsius but I have worked in -30 celsius as well.

regards
Hans Engstrom
1st AC

Hi Hans.

The camera will output either a clean feed OR a feed with camera status and frame lines (selectable via the menu). Status is frame rate, rate, WB, rec status, battery status etc.

At no point it is the user interface output to the HDSDI.

As far as the screen ?

You might be in trouble there. I believe the camera is only rated to Zero. Below that.....I don't know if they've tested it or even if it will work as you say. Might have to be some warmers for the camera.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Eric Santiago

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 am

I had a funny feeling this wasnt going to handle my climate :P
We get minus 40 here and it looks like my camera will land right about the dead of winter :(

Margus Voll

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 am

I bet lcd will work but be super slow.

i would go with beefy battery and hope for the best.

We got pretty much the same climate here in winters.

Hope to see my camera here before this winter and test it out.

Most cameras will fail either way in this cold in some point of time.
That is common here.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Hans Engstrom

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 11:05 am

John Brawley wrote:
Hans Engstrom wrote:My question.

And then my concern.

regards
Hans Engstrom
1st AC

Hi Hans.

The camera will output either a clean feed OR a feed with camera status and frame lines (selectable via the menu). Status is frame rate, rate, WB, rec status, battery status etc.

At no point it is the user interface output to the HDSDI.

As far as the screen ?

You might be in trouble there. I believe the camera is only rated to Zero. Below that.....I don't know if they've tested it or even if it will work as you say. Might have to be some warmers for the camera.

jb

Thanks for the reply. Nice to be able to select what it will output.

Yeah cold climate and lcd screens is not a good combination, I have been working with Alexa and Astro in this climate and usually there´s no problem as long as the camera is up and running all the time and for the lcd I usually just wrap it so that the air closest to the monitor doesn´t get changed all the time. It´s not as safe as working with film but the Alexa has been doing good for me. As everyone working in this climate also knows bringing the eguipment between cold and warm enviroment is a big problem. A production shooting in the same area and at the same time as we did on my last feature had two Alexa bodies break down for them because of problems with mixing cold and warm enviroment, luckily we had no problems at all.

I will do some shoting in cold conditions when I get the camera to test it out.

Hans Engstrom
1st AC
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/

Joel Crane

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 am

What about the opposite climate? Living in Western Australia, mining videos are a regular source of income, where working temperatures can reach 45 degrees Celsius and more? How will it handle heat such as that?

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

John Brawley

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Joel Crane wrote:What about the opposite climate? Living in Western Australia, mining videos are a regular source of income, where working temperatures can reach 45 degrees Celsius and more? How will it handle heat such as that?

From memory they've tested it to at least 40DEG.

The camera doesn't seem to overheat very easily, which is more of a concern. As to the screen ? I'm not sure.

Perhaps Kris can chime in here.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography