Brand New & Need Answers

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rgforester

Brand New & Need Answers

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Good afternoon,

Recently, I bought a Sony NXCAM HD Camcorder.

I'm not terribly Tech savey so any suggestions in layman's terms would be most helpful.

What do I need in the way of a capture device to download video from the camera to an iMac?
Do I need a capture card for $199 plus a desktop model?
Or I can get by with the capture card only? Or desktop model alone?

There are so many devices of your website, I'm unsure what to buy.

Thank you for your help.

Rick

Liam Kennedy

Re: Brand New & Need Answers

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Check the manual for your camera. You usually don't absolutely need any third-party capture devices (from Black Magic) or anyone just to transfer the video from your camera to any computer. That camera records video to memory cards - so you should just be able to take the card out and plug it in to your computer using any inexpensive card reader.

However..if you do want to capture uncompressed video output direct from your camera (bypassing it's internal compression) - then a capture card might be needed. But... as you say you are new to this... I doubt that is something you will need to do.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

rgforester

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Perhaps I should have qualified my comment when I said "I'm new at this." I should have said I'm new
downloading HD video. Our video production company is just starting to move awsy from MiniDv
to HD. I am very familiar with how to download tape to FCP and we need faster downloads than
are available with USB. That is why I was trying to find out if we need a capture card and/or external box.
So if you can tell me what you would recommend for
higher speed transfers, it would help us choose the right gear.

Thanks

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 11:26 pm

rgforester wrote:Perhaps I should have qualified my comment when I said "I'm new at this." I should have said I'm new downloading HD video. Our video production company is just starting to move awsy from MiniDv to HD. I am very familiar with how to download tape to FCP and we need faster downloads than are available with USB. That is why I was trying to find out if we need a capture card and/or external box.

So if you can tell me what you would recommend for
higher speed transfers, it would help us choose the right gear.

Having a capture card (like the ones from Black Magic) will make NO difference to speeding up capture from your camera. They are designed primarily to capture in "real time" uncompressed video from whatever video source is connected. That will likely not ever be faster than what you can capture via USB

Have you already tried to "download" HD video from the new cameras via USB? How did you do that? Was it by connecting the camera using it's USB port or were you using a USB connected card reader in to which you placed a memory card from the camera?

Capturing from memory cards (even via USB) is nothing like capturing from tape. It's always way faster than real time.

Other than that... I don't think I can help you any further. Good luck.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

rgforester

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes, I have downloaded video via USB and it's worked just fine. Obviously I was under the (false) impression that having a capture card would speed up transfers.

Thanks for your help.

Return to Getting Started