Problems with zebra and peaking...?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tjb

Problems with zebra and peaking...?

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 am

Hi,
I've not shot RAW video before. Irrespective of whether the zebra option is on or off on the Blackmagic 2.5k Camera, I get zebra lines and peaking colours in the footage transferred from the camera to DaVinci Resolve. This doesn't go even when the footage is exported to Quicktime. Is this normal? If yes, then where can I turn off this feature after transferring to DaVinci. Also, the peaking highlights don't cover the whole frame, they cut in exact half horizontally.

And if this isn't normal, then what can be the possible reason to cause this?

Frank Glencairn

Re: Problems with zebra and peaking...?

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am

You say you see zebras and peaking in resolve?

That's definitley not normal. Even if you would want that, I can see no way to provoke this, maybe unless you record with an external device via SDI and overlay on. Your footy comes from the SSD right?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 10:32 am

Very odd. Got any samples to share??

tjb

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm

@Frank and @Adam: Thanks for writing in.

I'm recording it directly onto the SSD card, 240 GB. I've tried it with overlays on and off but still the zebra and peaking highlights can be seen.

I quickly shot a few seconds worth of sample footage to upload for you to see. I've turned the zebras off but the highlights just don't go. Can't find a setting for it on camera or in the manual.

Here's the link:

Michael Beck

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 pm

tjb wrote:@Frank and @Adam: Thanks for writing in.

I'm recording it directly onto the SSD card, 240 GB. I've tried it with overlays on and off but still the zebra and peaking highlights can be seen.

I quickly shot a few seconds worth of sample footage to upload for you to see. I've turned the zebras off but the highlights just don't go. Can't find a setting for it on camera or in the manual.

Here's the link:

Wow, that is not normal. Do you see this in the camera? On the raw files? Or just Resolve?
------------
-Michael Beck

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Looks like what i'd expect to be recorded in some kind of secret "testing mode" that allows engineers to compare raw data from the sensor to the cameras interpretation of that data. Maybe you somehow got an engineering sample?! In any case this is nothing you could de/activate yourself (only probably in some hidden menus...), so you should return the camera.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:Looks like what i'd expect to be recorded in some kind of secret "testing mode" that allows engineers to compare raw data from the sensor to the cameras interpretation of that data. Maybe you somehow got an engineering sample?! In any case this is nothing you could de/activate yourself (only probably in some hidden menus...), so you should return the camera.

I'd try updating the firmware, if that doesn't fix it, then as Mac here says a warranty return for a new one.

paulkosmala

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Is it just the top half of the picture, if so maybe it's sensor related?

tjb

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 3:46 am

Thanks guys! Sending it back under warranty today. They said they'll replace it.
Mac, I think what you wrote makes sense. Thanks again!

Return to Cinematography