need help: from TV Studio output to large projector

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Wong

need help: from TV Studio output to large projector

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am

I have a TV Studio. I am having problem when output from TVS to the very large professional projector which only take DVI input. I've tried using a HDMI to DVI cable (for use on computer) and it doesn't work.

Do I need to add a converter between the TVS and projector? HDMI to DVI

I am looking at these two, don't know which one will work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... o_VGA.html
(i can then use a VGA to DVI cable)

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... o_DVI.html

Daniel Knoche

Re: need help: from TV Studio output to large projector

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 am

Possibly look at a HDLink Pro DVI. One issue with HDMI could be distance; it doesn't like it.
Could run SDI from TVS to Hdlink (up to 100m) and then DVI out of the HDlink into your projector. Cost is about $1000 (very roughly)
Daniel

Thomas Wong

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 6:51 pm

$1000 is too much for HDMI to DVi conversion.... I don't need other features from hdlink, although it's only $470 on B&H
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm

The issue you have is not just the converter to DVI - but also how you will physically reach the projector (cost/type of cabling).

How far away is this projector from the TVS?

If it is 15 ft or less - a simple HDMI to DVI converter may suffice. Longer than that and you will likely need some kind of specialized HDMI extenders.

Can you tell us exactly what model of projector you have as others here may have specific and relevant experience with the projector?

The advantage of the HDLink Pro DVI is that it will work via relatively inexpensive cabling (HD-SDI) and can reach up to 300ft. Not sure where the $1000 came from... it is $470 on B&H as you say.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Thomas Wong

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 am

I don't know the exact model of the projector yet. Usually i will work with a company and they have a scaler beside my TVS, so i don't see there is a problem on distant. But that scaler take DVI only, it doesn't display my video signal unless i add a HDMI to DVI converter. I think either the scaler or projector take only RGB signal, and TVS output is YUV. Maybe that cause no video signal without a conversion
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

Daniel Knoche

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 4:33 am

Liam Kennedy wrote: Not sure where the $1000 came from... it is $470 on B&H as you say.

Rough Aussie price (it's actually RRP is $A545 and yes for some reason had in my mind as more) but also assumed it was a permanent set up, therefore SDI cabling would be needed up to the projector, appropriate mounting around the projector and possibly labour.

thomas325 wrote: Usually i will work with a company and they have a scaler beside my TVS,
Have you spoken to them about the problem/concern? They may already have an appropriate device if in fact a device is needed
Daniel

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 am

OK... so that is a key piece of information. Are you saying you are connecting not in to a projector but instead in to a scaler which accepts DVI input only? If that is the case then what we need to know is the model of the scaler. It is very odd that such a system does not have the ability to support YUV signals. I imagine it's not a cheap projector system right?

Bill Bassett

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 4:21 pm

A lot of DVI inputs on projectors are RGB color space only. If there is a RGBHV input you could use a Blackmagic SDI to analog(RGB/YUV) converter.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... onverters/

joelhufford

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi Thomas,

it's interesting that your seeing no signal. Normally, and because you're right about the colorspace conversion being the issue, the answer is to get either one of these:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-con ... /#overview

or better yet, one of these:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/hdp2/

The issue you're running into is in fact that the DVI input on these projectors is not able to process the YPbPr component video signal. Both of these converters will handle the color space conversion, however, the HDP2 also has a built in scaler that allows you to scale both resolution and also framerate. This can be a life saver when working with a projector (or other destination device) that doesn't like fractional frame rates (59.94, 29.97, 23.976, etc).

However, if you're seeing no signal, and not a signal that appears to be in the wrong colorspace, it's possible that the DVI input is not passing signal due to HDCP. On most high end projectors (we work primarily with Christie) you can select the "format" for the DVI connector. Christie's options are:

RGB (Analog)
RGB (Scart)
RGB (Digital PC)
RGB (A/V HDCP)

usually selecting the A/V HDCP option will work to display the signal, however the colorspace will still be an issue, which is why you'll need one of those converters.

I've had issues with the HD Links shutting off the DVI-D output when receiving a "black" signal on the input. When that output is shut off, the projector loses sync and displays the "No Input" message on the OSD - not what you want to see in the middle of show! Of course, your experience may be different.

Thomas Wong

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:57 am

thanks for all the comments

All i know from that theatre is the scaler take VGA input only. And i don't need to worry about cable distance, i think the input is just beside my setup.

So back to my first question... will any of these work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... o_DVI.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... o_VGA.html
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 am

I for one have no idea. We don't know what it is you are plugging in to (not really). First it's DVI... now it's VGA. We don't know if it scales. Most any projector worth anything can take input at various resolutions. So... maybe a simple HDMI to VGA converter is all that is needed.

Anything else I would suggest is purely guessing.

Return to Live Production