Announcing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Christine Peterson

Announcing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, a new high resolution 4K digital film camera with an innovative large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter, combined with precision EF mount optics and high quality Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file recording for only US$3,995.

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design NAB 2013 booth at #SL218.

To learn more, please visit: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/p ... seID=38121
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

eliza

Re: Announcing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 am

Hi Christine,

Just wanted to know if the 4K BMCC form factor is identical to the previous BMCC EF?

Cheers,
Eliza

Brycelansing

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

For frame rates, I noticed 1080i50 and 1080i59.94.. Is this something that's giving us progressive results at 50fps and 60fps? Or is it just an interlaced 25fps and 30fps?

Christine Peterson

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 4:21 pm

eliza wrote:Hi Christine,

Just wanted to know if the 4K BMCC form factor is identical to the previous BMCC EF?

Cheers,
Eliza

Yes. They are indistinguishable from each other, except the 4K version says "4K" on the front!
Christine Peterson

ronhaley

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I noticed they said July for shipping, but not the year :)

mcovi76

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Please explain in detail the 1080i50 and 1080i59.94 interlaced frame rates. Can I shoot 1080i59.94, drop it in a 23.97 timeline and get "slo-mo" in a interlaced format?

Thanks!

JeroenvandenHoek

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

mcovi76 wrote:Please explain in detail the 1080i50 and 1080i59.94 interlaced frame rates. Can I shoot 1080i59.94, drop it in a 23.97 timeline and get "slo-mo" in a interlaced format?

Thanks!

The 'i' after 1080 stands for interlaced (a television format). 1080i50, for exzample, consists of 25 'even' lines/fields per second and 25 'uneven' lines/fields per second. In other words; 50 times half the pixels (in horizontal lines) per second.

slo-mo has got nothing to do with that.

hope this was helpful,
Jeroen

ChrisContiPhoto

PostFri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Regarding the 1080/50i & 1080/60i...
The day the BMPC4K was announced, I called BMD's offices in California to ask specifically this question. The guy I talked to said he was almost certain it was a typo and that there would be 1080p50 & 1080p60 framerates available.

Of course, now it certainly appears not.
#wompwomp

videoalex

PostFri May 31, 2013 4:44 pm

It appears that the 4k model will also now include a dongle for resolve? It was not included in the specs before. Just confirming.

videoalex

PostFri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm

ChrisContiPhoto wrote:Regarding the 1080/50i & 1080/60i...
The day the BMPC4K was announced, I called BMD's offices in California to ask specifically this question. The guy I talked to said he was almost certain it was a typo and that there would be 1080p50 & 1080p60 framerates available.

#wompwomp

This is the dealmaker/breaker for me. Being able to overcrank is really important - even if it's at a reduced frame size.

But, even my DSLR can do that.

Jwlovell

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

Shooting Resolutions
3840 x 2160, 1920x1080.
Frame Rates
3840 x 2160p23.98,
3840 x 2160p24,
3840 x 2160p25,
3840 x 2160p29.97,
3840 x 2160p30,
1920 x 1080p23.98,
1920 x 1080p24,
1920 x 1080p25,
1920 x 1080p29.97,
1920 x 1080p30,
1920 x 1080i50,
1920 x 1080i59.94.

videoalex wrote:
ChrisContiPhoto wrote:Regarding the 1080/50i & 1080/60i...

#wompwomp

This is the dealmaker/breaker for me. Being able to overcrank is really important - even if it's at a reduced frame size.

But, even my DSLR can do that.

sambak

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Well all hullabaloo about 4k camera but not real thing (date) is forthcoming;
specially the "SAMPLE FOOTAGE" did i say it right :?:
So Christine when exactly BMD plans to release the sample footage? I think it's more anticipated than the 5d Mark iii was :lol:

TC

Ricardo Chut

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 am

Hey, greetings everyone.
I've bought the BMCC 4K from Brazil. I know it's a question that many ask: I Want to know if there's any possibility of predicting the date of delivery of the camera, so I can plan my trip to get it.
Thanks

sambak

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am

Ricardo Chut wrote:Hey, greetings everyone.
I've bought the BMCC 4K from Brazil. I know it's a question that many ask: I Want to know if there's any possibility of predicting the date of delivery of the camera, so I can plan my trip to get it.
Thanks

Then plan your trip for for next year :lol:

Sean Hegarty

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 pm

What is the actual anticipated release date for this camera? I was on a waiting list for so long for the cinema camera I ended up buying one from a reseller. Excellent picture quality and I love the camera. I upgraded my order for the Cinema Camera I was waiting for to the Production Camera. Now I want to plan out my schedule for the rest of the year and I want to know if it will be available later this year for anyone requesting 4k shooting. What is a reasonable actual estimate for the camera's availabilty? Is it really going to start shipping next month or should I expect delays?

sambak

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 2:45 am

sheldon23 wrote:What is the actual anticipated release date for this camera? I was on a waiting list for so long for the cinema camera I ended up buying one from a reseller. Excellent picture quality and I love the camera. I upgraded my order for the Cinema Camera I was waiting for to the Production Camera. Now I want to plan out my schedule for the rest of the year and I want to know if it will be available later this year for anyone requesting 4k shooting. What is a reasonable actual estimate for the camera's availabilty? Is it really going to start shipping next month or should I expect delays?

Good to be in anticipation longer than your best estimation!! Unfortunately none has the answer for that. the only thing one would hardly suggest is that, the prospects of it being delivered with not much delays are bright!!
Even i am getting a sense that this 4k model will not suffer with the same delivery issues much as happened with the old 2.5k model.

So Fella, just wait!

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 pm

sheldon23 wrote:What is the actual anticipated release date for this camera? I was on a waiting list for so long for the cinema camera I ended up buying one from a reseller. Excellent picture quality and I love the camera. I upgraded my order for the Cinema Camera I was waiting for to the Production Camera. Now I want to plan out my schedule for the rest of the year and I want to know if it will be available later this year for anyone requesting 4k shooting. What is a reasonable actual estimate for the camera's availabilty? Is it really going to start shipping next month or should I expect delays?

With the Cinema Camera, who did you originally place your order with? We don't sell any of our products directly -- it all goes through our network of resellers.

It sounds like the team is still on schedule for the 4K camera. We definitely don't expect anything like the delays we had with the BMCC. That said, a lot of the resellers have long preorder lists, so it's difficult to predict with certainty when anyone specifically will receive their camera.
Christine Peterson

sambak

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

With the Cinema Camera, who did you originally place your order with? We don't sell any of our products directly -- it all goes through our network of resellers.

It sounds like the team is still on schedule for the 4K camera. We definitely don't expect anything like the delays we had with the BMCC. That said, a lot of the resellers have long preorder lists, so it's difficult to predict with certainty when anyone specifically will receive their camera.

Good to hear that Christine!!
Thanks

Sean Hegarty

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I placed my original Cinema Camera order with Safe Harbor computers here in the US back in December. When the cameras started rolling out about march I purchased one from someone who had preordered a long time before I did and I paid a higher price. Even paying the marked up price I really love the camera. So, I upgraded my original order to the Production Camera and I am really looking forward to no rolling shutter and the super 35 sensor, not to mention 4k at an incredible price.

Thanks

wörns

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Is the shipping in JULY realistic ? That's the one and only question everybody asks :lol:

Oskari Mörsky

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

wörns wrote:Is the shipping in JULY realistic ? That's the one and only question everybody asks :lol:

I"ll eat my lens caps if bmcc 4k will shipped in july. :D perhaps next july :D

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

wörns

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 pm

leze23 wrote:
wörns wrote:Is the shipping in JULY realistic ? That's the one and only question everybody asks :lol:

I"ll eat my lens caps if bmcc 4k will shipped in july. :D perhaps next july :D

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Haaaaa July 2014 or 2015 ??? :lol: so i hope they do, so i can send you Tabasco or somthing like that, to make the caps tasting better

:D :D :D :D :D

CloudChaser

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I ordered a 4k camera through BHphoto about 3 months ago. I just contacted them and they told me that Blackmagic Design has not confirmed a ship date with them, so they told me they basically have no idea when the camera will ship. Furthermore, he told me to expect several months in delay of the release date of July 25th. He told me that I was "very high" on the waitlist, whatever that means. The release date about a week away... Do you guys have any idea if it will be shipping on time? If you don't have an idea then it probably means it won't ship on time :P

DjWilly

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Yes, we are dying to hear news and updates about the camera. Are we on track so far? How's the engineers, they are all fine and on schedule, no one resigned or got sick or anything to delay release? Update us please..

David Whatley

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 7:37 pm

It took so m any months for me to get my 2.5K BMCC that I'm not expecting to get any fun packages on my doorstep in a few days either. I have an order in for the Pocket and the 4K with B&H and... well, I just have to wait like everyone else.

Personally, if I want anything, I want the pocket CC to arrive. The versatility this will give me is much more useful to me than the 4K/Global Shutter fun of the 4K at the moment. On the other hand I'm still waiting for when the Defy Gimbal will ship too.

In the old days we waited for our film to develop. Now we wait to get our gear. :)

David

lwcowan

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 pm

B&H is good as far as managing the message: ( I would hope they execute on the below)

"B&H# BLPRODCAM4K (BLACK-MAGIC BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTION CAMERA 4K) is still on backorder. Our purchasing agent will forward your backorder inquiry to our Supplier/Manufacturer for an update on its status. As soon as we receive a response from them, we will forward this information to you via email. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience this has caused you."

BMCC will do the best they can to hit the delivery date, it is the anticipation based on the past experiences others communicate where "I" as a 04/2013 pre-order new customer try and balance my anxiety :?

In the end managing the message is where I see so many wanting continuous updates from BMCC, even if that message is "Shipping Status Unchanged."

My .02

Thanks!
LW

lwcowan

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 pm

lwcowan wrote:B&H is good as far as managing the message: ( I would hope they execute on the below)

"B&H# BLPRODCAM4K (BLACK-MAGIC BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTION CAMERA 4K) is still on backorder. Our purchasing agent will forward your backorder inquiry to our Supplier/Manufacturer for an update on its status. As soon as we receive a response from them, we will forward this information to you via email. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience this has caused you."

BMCC will do the best they can to hit the delivery date, it is the anticipation based on the past experiences others communicate where "I" as a 04/2013 pre-order new customer try and balance my anxiety :?

In the end managing the message is where I see so many wanting continuous updates from BMCC, even if that message is "Shipping Status Unchanged."

My .02

Thanks!
LW

B&H is solid on their follow up! The response below came next day of my inquiry. Should I have any expectations that BMCC provide end users (order pending customer) this type of communication frequency, or this is really belongs in the BMCC distribution channel?

We are sorry to inform you that the BLACK-MAGIC BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTION CAMERA 4K is on back order by the manufacturer with no estimated time of delivery. As soon as we receive it from the manufacturer, we will promptly ship it to you and you will receive an email with a tracking number at that time. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience.

lwcowan

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm

lwcowan wrote:
lwcowan wrote:B&H is good as far as managing the message: ( I would hope they execute on the below)

My .02

Thanks!
LW

B&H is solid on their follow up! The response below came next day of my inquiry. Should I have any expectations that BMCC provide end users (order pending customer) this type of communication frequency, or this is really belongs in the BMCC distribution channel?

We are sorry to inform you that the BLACK-MAGIC BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTION CAMERA 4K is on back order by the manufacturer with no estimated time of delivery. As soon as we receive it from the manufacturer, we will promptly ship it to you and you will receive an email with a tracking number at that time. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience.

BTW, I know this is a "1st World Problem...) :oops:

RTSFilms

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm

I have been getting back order statuses from B&H for the last month, keep in mind I pre-orderd in April, saying that the item I ordered was on back order and as soon as the item is in stock it will be shipped to me.....I don't know if that indicates that the BMCC is not going to be released on its expected date or that's just B&H providing customer service to their customers. Keep in mind I also had an order in for the BMCC 2.5K and when I spoke to a customer rep via chat they told me I had a 6 month wait to receive that camera so i cxl'ed my order and the next month a slew of cameras were shipped! ....All the Black Magic interviews indicate that the shipping date hasn't changed and until I hear solid news from the horses mouth (Black Magic Design) I am assuming that all is well and good....also they said EXPECTED shipping date is the 25th of July so that means any date around that date qualifies.....

idono4563

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm

So it's the 25th already, B&H has no word from BM and BM hasn't made a single fricking press release for ages. Is anyone else starting to sweat? Throw us a bone please, yes we are on time or no we are f'd in the a. Anything.

Alex Flazen

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am

BM now says they will possibly ship the 4k in September. Funny how they say that in the day they are supposed to be shipping (by funny I mean horribly disrespectful). They couldn't have said that a few months ago. It seems like BM will do everything they can to be as vapid and unreliable as possible. I think they get a kick out of making our lives easier...they are probably having a good laugh right now. It must be good entertainment for them to cause so much frustration. So, taking a page from BM, I am going to officially announce a new camera I am developing. It's called the Flazen. It has 8k res, 10000 fps, shoot in pitch black, gold plated, pocket sized, 10k hour battery life, video camera.
Price is only $2999 and will ship tomorrow July 26th, 2013 (or whenever I get done having fun with everyone's pre-order money and use the rest to make the camera). I am sure at those specs I will have a lot of fun, so it may be a while...who knows.
Blackmagic, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Your company is a truly deplorable example of how to run a business.

Amir Sharafeh

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 8:21 am

So it is the 25th of July and I am looking at the B&H site and the BMC 4K that I pre-ordered still states that it is on pre-order. Can you enlighten me on the latest status for these cameras?
Thank you,
Amir

idono4563

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

So seeing as the folks at Blackmagic can't be bothered enough to inform their loyal customers of the current status regarding the BMCC4k, I have scrounged enough info to shed light on its current status. This of course should have been done weeks ago by someone moderating this thread; someone who cleary takes their job about as seriously as BM takes their promises. Updates are as follows:

According to an EOSHD article, Blackmagic held an event in LA yesterday the 25th (same day as promised release) at which info was, "..being reported back by attendees from the Blackmagic reps present." The article goes on to say, "The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will miss the scheduled July shipping and one rep at the event said that a ‘trickle out in September would be the best case scenario’. The image ‘needs more work’ to hit a target of 12 stops dynamic range and ISO 800."
Full article: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10856/blackmagic-4k-production-camera-now-due-in-september

A forum member of EOSHD named Kays Alatrakchi apparently attended the event and had this to say:
Kays Alatrakchi wrote:"Just got back from the L.A. Blackmagic event today. I suspect Blackmagic is about to get ranted on by quite a few online sites for pushing back the release date that they so confidently affirmed wouldn't be an issue back at NAB. The Blackmagic Pocket is also a slow trickle. According to some dealers yes the Pocket cameras will start shipping over the next week or so....straight to the Blackmagic offices and not to dealers! That's right, the Pocket cameras will actually first stop at Blackmagic where they will receive a firmware update, and only then will they start to be shipped to the dealers. I'm told to expect a very few trickle, so for some people who preordered the Pocket cameras, it could still be a couple of months away. The Blackmagic Production camera was also a disappointment, not just for the delayed shipping, but also for the fact that they still seem not quite ready in the software/firmware departments. Lastly, Resolve 10 is supposedly still on track for "3rd quarter" which could be any day, or still a couple of months away. All in all not a particularly exciting or revealing day with Blackmagic....but they did have free cookies!"

Another member here on the BM forums added his two cents on the Pocket Camera thread:
SergioV wrote:Ok, check it out: I heard it from a guy who talked to some other guys who said the following:
(The guy was the Black Magic Design rep at the LA product event)
BMPCC: Still waiting on the green light (I assume from some form of manufacturing QC) for mass shipping. No numbers yet (I don't think they even want to know them) but a few more demos have begun shipping to retailers. It should be a couple or three business days before those start shipping out. You're not getting RAW on the first wave. That's coming later on a firmware update.
BMCC4K: Still has about 3 to 4 weeks worth of development before those are ready to be approved for shipping. Not sure what the technical issues are, but those are taking a bit more time.

But that's just what I felt like knowing.

One other thing: they said they expect to be shipping full quantities around the end of next week to the beginning of the following week.

This is what the original press release said/still says:
Availability and Price
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be available in July for US$3,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.

This was the last update regarding shipping by a BM employee on this thread:
Christine Peterson wrote:It sounds like the team is still on schedule for the 4K camera. We definitely don't expect anything like the delays we had with the BMCC. That said, a lot of the resellers have long preorder lists, so it's difficult to predict with certainty when anyone specifically will receive their camera.

So on behalf of everyone who was hoping to get their cameras on time because they hadn't heard anything to the contrary, thanks for not keeping us in the loop Blackmagic Design! We didn't think you could piss off your already dwindling followers anymore than your first failed release, but here we are. All you had to do was pretend like you give a ---- and simply clue us in to what was going on. Instead, on your release date, we scratch or heads and find out the hard way that your plans have secretly changed. This company is either run by nerds with no PR skills, or by monkeys who have had their thumbs cut off. Either way, i'm glad I could get this info into the proper thread where it belonged to begin with.

Benjamin Pearce

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm

So on behalf of everyone who was hoping to get their cameras on time because they hadn't heard anything to the contrary, thanks for not keeping us in the loop Blackmagic Design! We didn't think you could piss off your already dwindling followers anymore than your first failed release, but here we are. All you had to do was pretend like you give a ---- and simply clue us in to what was going on. Instead, on your release date, we scratch or heads and find out the hard way that your plans have secretly changed. This company is either run by nerds with no PR skills, or by monkeys who have had their thumbs cut off. Either way, i'm glad I could get this info into the proper thread where it belonged to begin with.[/quote]

Don't you have anything better to do? Your world is not going to end if you don't get the camera now or in a couple of weeks from now. They've never even announced a release date, only a shipping date. Delays happen and for a company who have only been in the camera game for just over a year, I think they're doing alright! Take a chill pill and relax dude!

Christoph Benfey

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm

@Benjamin,

You're right, the world isn't going to end, and pretty much everyone is fine with delays, which as you say are to be expected. I think the frustration many have is with the lack of communication between Blackmagic and their customers.

Many of us will now have to spend extra money on renting equipment that we'd expected to own for upcoming shoots, which is also a little bit frustrating.

In our line of work, communication is everything. I personally am just disappointed that there wasn't any communication regarding the dates, which they must have known would have been pushed back, and going further by claiming everything was on schedule until the last minute.

I am still really happy that Blackmagic is doing what they are doing, but there is a responsibility to keep their clientele informed, being strung along isn't good for PR. I really hope they can follow through with their updated time frame.
lowkeystudio.com

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 pm

You get about as much communication out of Canon and Sony.

anyone who plans to do a project with equipment that has yet to ship is irresponsible and unprofessional.

If you project is so urgent you can always buy another camera...

How many film jobs have you shot that have been perfectly on time? Or is every job you do onetime and within budget?

I'd rather the cameras were late and worked correctly than they ship them with issues.

Developing cameras and software is not a simple 9-5 job. Many hurdles have to be overcome especially when you are trying to cram so much into such a low price point.

Many things can delay a project. It's not unique to BlackMagic...

The BMPCC is ready to ship, ontime.

The BMPC is delayed because BM believe the images is not as good as they believe it should be. I'm happy to wait for that.

RB3tv

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 pm

[quote="adamroberts"]
"anyone who plans to do a project with equipment that has yet to ship is irresponsible and unprofessional."
------------------------------------

Well isn't stating on the website that the product will ship in July, then NOT shipping in July just as unprofessional???
Especially after what happened just last year with the Cinema camera??

It's like me telling my client that I will have their edit ready this Friday, then not having it ready.

You can try to spin this anyway you want, but the facts are that they've been telling us dates for the entire history of their camera production that have not been met.

Please tell us how doing this repeatedly is professional?

idono4563

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 pm

adamroberts wrote:anyone who plans to do a project with equipment that has yet to ship is irresponsible and unprofessional.
I agree, but what is even more irresponsible and unprofessional is how BM handled this release. It's ok that there are delays, however the false promises and communication blackout by BM is on a whole other level of unprofessional. Bringing up Sony and Canon is not a valid excuse for this bs.

adamroberts wrote:If you project is so urgent you can always buy another camera...
Actually, some of us can't afford another camera and maintain the same promised work flow. Unless you are made of money, which I am not.

adamroberts wrote:I'd rather the cameras were late and worked correctly than they ship them with issues.
Yea me too. However, taking peoples money should warrant a line of communication with them as customers. Now we have to decide whether to cancel our shipment and lose our place in line, or stick it out and hope that the release isn't pushed back yet again without warning.

adamroberts wrote:The BMPCC is ready to ship, ontime.

The BMPC is delayed because BM believe the images is not as good as they believe it should be. I'm happy to wait for that.
Um, that means it is not ready to ship. You are simply contradicting yourself. Please stop trying to defend a company that fumbled the ball in a critical moment with their customers when the pressure was on. I am excited for all the new products from BM, but they can't afford to pull this horse ---- twice in a row with their camera releases. Nuf said.

lsherman3

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 am

There is an old saying. Of the three options, "Good, cheap, and fast" pick any two. BMD has tried to offer all three and I don't think they understand how much they are hurting themselves. I really wish they told everyone the release date would be christmas and then deliver in the fall. Thats a good long term strategy that helps cover ones ---.

Many businesses in our field only buy a camera once every three or four years so to wait an extra year past their purchasing point can be a hardship on a business. I truly hope that BMD learns from this because no matter how cheap and good their products are, if they don't communicate to the the folks that believe in them, then trust and business will be lost.

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 am

iduno8912 wrote:
adamroberts wrote:If you project is so urgent you can always buy another camera...
Actually, some of us can't afford another camera and maintain the same promised work flow. Unless you are made of money, which I am not.

Then you'll have to wait until it ships. Seem BM are the only company trying to fill this gap in the market. So it's obviously not easy else there would be more options...

iduno8912 wrote:
adamroberts wrote:The BMPCC is ready to ship, ontime.

Um, that means it is not ready to ship. You are simply contradicting yourself.

No contradiction at all. One camera, The BMPCC is ready to ship. On time.

The other camera, BMPC4K, is delayed.

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 8:02 am

iduno8912 wrote:
adamroberts wrote:I'd rather the cameras were late and worked correctly than they ship them with issues.
Yea me too. However, taking peoples money should warrant a line of communication with them as customers. Now we have to decide whether to cancel our shipment and lose our place in line, or stick it out and hope that the release isn't pushed back yet again without warning.

Um... BM did not take your money. They get paid after the cameras get shipped. If you paid full price for your preorder then your dealer is taking the piss as they sitting on your cash earning interest.

idono4563

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 12:37 pm

adamroberts wrote:
iduno8912 wrote:

Um... BM did not take your money. They get paid after the cameras get shipped. If you paid full price for your preorder then your dealer is taking the piss as they sitting on your cash earning interest.

B&H is BM's largest reseller and collects money instantly for pre-orders using Billmelater. Thats not taking the piss, thats how it works for financing my friend. Either way who cares, BM's lack of communication is still unacceptable with things considered. Thats what we are talking about here. I don't know why you refuse to hold them accountable. No point you make is going to let them off the hook.

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 3:40 pm

iduno8912 wrote:B&H is BM's largest reseller and collects money instantly for pre-orders using Billmelater. Thats not taking the piss, thats how it works for financing my friend.

So B&H has your money then.

iduno8912 wrote:Either way who cares, BM's lack of communication is still unacceptable with things considered. Thats what we are talking about here. I don't know why you refuse to hold them accountable. No point you make is going to let them off the hook.

Hold them accountable for what? For not shipping a camera that's not ready?

BM very seldom release info. Thats how they work. It's been like that since they began. Just like many other companies.

I payed a deposit (not the full price because that is foolish) for a camera that might ship in July. So it's been delayed... I'll wait. I waited 6mths for my BMCC EF.

If you really don't like how they operate then show them by spending your money on some other brand. Then your problem is solved.

If you REALLY want one of their products then deal with how they communicate.

RB3tv

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 pm

"Hold them accountable for what? For not shipping a camera that's not ready?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accountability in keeping one's word for an important date or event.

No one is questioning that it's a difficult task to bring these camera's into existence. What we are questioning are the methods being used to communicate the availability. Anyone can make promises, but when you fail to deliver (Twice now) after you made the announcement in the first place, you end up looking like a fool. Own up to it, be honest, and move forward.

If you hired me to be a camera op, lighting tech, etc on the 25th and I fail to show up would you not hold me accountable? I claimed that I would be there, on time and ready to work, and if I could not it's my responsibility to let you know ahead of time.

It's called keeping one's word, and if you can't keep that word let me know straight away. Don't hide the fact that you can't live up to (Your own) promises. Be honest and communicate before people have a chance to come into these forums and bash you for not keeping your word... Again...

Maybe I'll show up on the 25th to shoot for you, maybe not. We'll see...

sambak

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 11:37 pm

RB3tv wrote:"Hold them accountable for what? For not shipping a camera that's not ready?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accountability in keeping one's word for an important date or event.

No one is questioning that it's a difficult task to bring these camera's into existence. What we are questioning are the methods being used to communicate the availability. Anyone can make promises, but when you fail to deliver (Twice now) after you made the announcement in the first place, you end up looking like a fool. Own up to it, be honest, and move forward.

If you hired me to be a camera op, lighting tech, etc on the 25th and I fail to show up would you not hold me accountable? I claimed that I would be there, on time and ready to work, and if I could not it's my responsibility to let you know ahead of time.

It's called keeping one's word, and if you can't keep that word let me know straight away. Don't hide the fact that you can't live up to (Your own) promises. Be honest and communicate before people have a chance to come into these forums and bash you for not keeping your word... Again...

Maybe I'll show up on the 25th to shoot for you, maybe not. We'll see...

:)
It's just that people are pissed off over the lack of communication by BMD about the delay second time in a row...And the frustration is rising as the days going by...it's ironic that BMD isn't bothered to inform the people with an official statement!! No doubt BMD is a company i have started liking much for what it has done in terms of giving us so affordable yet great products. Still they as an entity has an obligation towards the people who buy these products and they have got every right to know what is what.

Greg Best

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Website says 4k "SHIPPING IN JULY". Is this correct?

sambak

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 pm

wwjd wrote:Website says 4k "SHIPPING IN JULY". Is this correct?

Its August for now!!

Jim Cullen

Accessories arrive by end of July deadline, leaving one thin

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I can't wait for the BMPC to arrive. It's the Global shutter at this price that does it for me.

I'm setting up for indie film work. After 14 yrs as a BBC camera op. - now freelance - I'm purchasing my own kit for work on the side, but there is a rather obvious hole in my setup!

purchased for use with the BMPC4K: Uspeed Docking Station, StarTech.com 2 Port eSATA ExpressCard Drive Controller Card, Kingston Technology SV300S37A/240G 240GB USB 2.5 SSDNow V300, Heliopan Variable ND Filter 77mm, Lanparte Battery Plate, Hark-Woods VL-70 battery, Hawk-Woods VL-L1 (VLL1) V-Lok Single Channel Li-Ion Quick Charger.

On hold! Alphatron EVF-035W Veiwfinder, Vocas 0350-1400 Top Handle, Vocas 0350-0415 Monitor/EVF Support & 50cm BNC cable
Last edited by Jim Cullen on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Cullen

DjWilly

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am

Hi,
Thought I should share something here as I really enjoy reading all your comments every day.
I thought maybe asking everybody about their wish-list in the BMCC4K.
I wish the add a delete function, it's nightmare for me now with the BMCC26K having loads of clips on the drive. I have to carry around a laptop and a docking station everywhere to clear unwanted clips. Also, it would be awesome to have an idea about the iris measurement. For now you simply guess and judge based on what you see. Finally, you have no idea how many times I wished I had slow-motion ability on my cam.
Well, that was me sitting a coffee shop relaxing and thinking these are easy to do tasks. But, it's just a wish list :D

ottis41

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Any chance of trading up the 2k for the 4k .. that would be a good gesture old camera plus some cash! :?:
Next

Return to Announcements