BMPCC HDMI Out - Compatible with ATEM TVS?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

becca23

BMPCC HDMI Out - Compatible with ATEM TVS?

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I am considering pre-ordering a Pocket Cinema camera, but before I do, I need some confirmation on whether the HDMI out supports a frame-rate that is compatible with the Television Studio. I have heard some say that the HDMI is 1080i, if it is, that would be great.

As a secondary question, is this a good camera for someone looking to do both live production and video production on a budget?

Mac Jaeger

Re: BMPCC HDMI Out - Compatible with ATEM TVS?

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 3:25 pm

The Pocket CC isn't out yet, so we can only speculate on base of CC2k5. The cinema cameras output can be set to 1080i although it records 2k5, so the 1080 pocket camera should be able to as well. Would be a bummer if BM cameras wouldn't work with their other popular devices...

Whether the pocket cc is good for live production and filming depends mostly on the lenses you add. If you've suitable glas, the camera itself will be great for both tasks.

becca23

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks for your answer. For anyone else interested, I sent an email to customer support and asked the same question. Their response was that the BMPCC will not initially support 1080i on the HDMI port. The rep said in his own opinion it is possible that a future update will be made to allow for it, similar to the way it was for the original cinema camera.

My number one use for the camera will be live with the ATEM TVS, so it looks like I will need to find another camera...

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 4:54 pm

So they told you there will be differences in their unified firmware? Troubling...

Return to Cinematography