SanDisc Extreme II 480 Gb drive

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

SanDisc Extreme II 480 Gb drive

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Has anyone tried the revised SanDisc Extreme II 480 Gb drive in the BMCC EF? Better yet could one of you folks at Blackmagic comment on this? I'm buying some additional drives and could use the heads up.

The new drives are not on the website as of yet. Not sure if that means it will not be or just has not been gotten to.

Thanks.

Margus Voll

Re: SanDisc Extreme II 480 Gb drive

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Have you compared the specs new vs old ones ?

What differences you see there ?

I just got 480 gig one but i think i have ver 1 maybe as it was not stated that it would be 2.

Just tested with my body yesterday and it was perfect.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Margus Voll wrote:Have you compared the specs new vs old ones ?

What differences you see there ?

I just got 480 gig one but i think i have ver 1 maybe as it was not stated that it would be 2.

Just tested with my body yesterday and it was perfect.

Like you I also bought a couple of the first generation 480's. So far they've worked perfect. A month or so ago they came out with a new one. Think I read about it here. Essentially they switched from a Sandforce to a Marvell controller. I'm no engineer so have to rely on someone much smarter than I to tell me if that's an improvement or not. Having Blackmagic clear this up would be best of all. I'm sure that I'll not be the only one asking for this information to be updated.

Here are a couple of links to reviews of the new one vrs the old one:

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/san ... iew-480gb/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sand ... view-480gb

Andrea Cecchini

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm

I have two drive 480gb and I never try other unit.
I can say with true I didn't have any issue.

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello,

This SSD is currently being tested along with some other models. If they are certified, they will be added to the list when the testing is complete.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:Hello,

This SSD is currently being tested along with some other models. If they are certified, they will be added to the list when the testing is complete.

Thanks for the information Nehemiah, and thank you as well for taking the time to respond. Look forward to seeing the results.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:Hello,

Note that the SSD thickness of the Sandisk Extreme II is only 7mm and we have had posts that seem to indicate that the original 9.5mm thickness of the Sandisk Extreme sits better in the drive bay and may put less stress on the pins. Might be good if BMD made a statement recommending the 9.5mm drives for that reason or drawing some attention to it in the list of validated SSDs.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

michaelhembrador

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi,

I have one of the new SanDisk Extreme II 480GB drives for use in my desktop. It is worth noting that even though it is thin (7mm) it does come with an adhesive adapter (fancy plastic) that you can place on the drive to make it a standard width drive.

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 am

mshembrador wrote:Hi,

I have one of the new SanDisk Extreme II 480GB drives for use in my desktop. It is worth noting that even though it is thin (7mm) it does come with an adhesive adapter (fancy plastic) that you can place on the drive to make it a standard width drive.

Thanks! That may work, depending upon what it looks like. If it covered the SSD, that would be bad for heat dissipation in the camera bay. But if it is very minimal support, should be fine. Can you comment or show what it looks like on the SSD?

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

michaelhembrador

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 am

rick.lang wrote:

Thanks! That may work, depending upon what it looks like. If it covered the SSD, that would be bad for heat dissipation in the camera bay. But if it is very minimal support, should be fine. Can you comment or show what it looks like on the SSD?

Rick Lang

Not really sure if you can tell in this picture, but the bumper is a very small frame that only goes around the border of the drive. I've also poked the drive under some intensive use and haven't noticed it getting abnormally hot. I really love how fast this drive is!
Attachments
ssd.jpg
ssd bumper
ssd.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 6:37 pm

michaelhembrador wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Not really sure if you can tell in this picture, but the bumper is a very small frame that only goes around the border of the drive. I've also poked the drive under some intensive use and haven't noticed it getting abnormally hot. I really love how fast this drive is!

Thanks, Michael; that should work fine in terms of allowing heat to dissipate.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

sean mclennan

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I'd love to hear about the new versions performance in the BMCC. Specs look great....but I still can't even buy it in Canada yet :x

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I'd love to hear about the new versions performance in the BMCC. Specs look great....but I still can't even buy it in Canada yet :x

Welcome back to the Great White North from Down Under! Looking forward to seeing what cats and dogs look like from Australia, or anything you'll be able to share.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

sean mclennan

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks! I was an awesome trip. Still moving all the data over to the edit machine. Shooting raw is soooo time consuming. :shock:

Return to Cinematography