ATEM TVS / DSK / Graphics with Transparency

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TomTailford

ATEM TVS / DSK / Graphics with Transparency

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm really confused!! Earlier I was able to create a transparent graphic overlay using the DSK.

Setup:
Input 1 (SDI) - Camera
Input 2 (HDMI) - Graphics from computer (I used a solid blue area for the part I didn't want to appear)

DSK setup:
Fill source - Input 2
Key source - Color Generator 1

Using the DSK, I was able to get the graphics to overlay over Input 1 - however, after attempting this again I've not been able to achieve the same effect.

I've been reading up about using the DSK for video and how it can only be achieved using 2 inputs due to the requirement of an alpha channel, however I've not found anything about overlaying stationary images.

The team I am working with would rather they controlled the graphics instead of me adding it to the mediaplayer... which is causing a headache for myself as I'm absolutely clueless as to how I can do something like that?

Example of graphic:
example-gfx.jpg
Example of graphic
example-gfx.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 5947 times

Thanks,

Tom

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: ATEM TVS / DSK / Graphics with Transparency

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 pm

If you have only 1 input for graphics without alpha channel, you must have the same source selected for both key and fill.

In your case:
Setup:
Input 1 (SDI) - Camera
Input 2 (HDMI) - Graphics from computer (I used a solid blue area for the part I didn't want to appear)

DSK setup:
Fill source - Input 2
Key source - Input 2

Try to use the upstreamkeyer instead of the dsk to be able to use chromakey.

Hakan.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Justin Strauber

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Not sure if you can do this on a TVS, but I've done it with the 1/ME

Hook up your computer and have it play out the motion graphics. The motion has to be WITHIN a pre-defined area. Take the graphic you showed for example, as long as the outline remains static, and only the graphics within that area have movement, you should be able to do the following.

Build a STATIC alpha channel image of your graphic, load it into the media player.

In your DSK, choose the KEY as the graphic in your media player, and the FILL as your computer output. You'll then have a clean graphic in the DSK that will overlay on your video. No need to use Chroma.

This will work with lower thirds as well. As long as they aren't some sort of animate in, and you just do a cut / dissolve of the DSK.

TomTailford

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for the advice.

The upstream key works nicely for the graphic I attached, and with the example given I am hoping I can use the downstream keyer with the alpha for a stationary name graphic which goes in a small box!!

Think that just about solves my production problems!! Thanks all!

Return to Live Production