Minimum System Requirements?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

aaronstout

Minimum System Requirements?

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm using the Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder for direct live capture from a Canon XF305, using the HD-SDI from the camera to the Blackmagic, and USB from the Blackmagic to a laptop running Media Express.

Media Express ingest settings are MP4, 720P, 5.5Mbps. (these will never change)

My question is this: What is the minimum hardware I can get away with using for a laptop? I can't imagine this process needs too powerful a processor since most of the work is happening in the Blackmagic box. I need to setup about 15 of these capture stations, and the laptop's sole function will be just capturing video out of the Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder. So keeping costs down is my main priority.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

aaronstout

Re: Minimum System Requirements?

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Sorry to double-post this on the Mac and PC forums. I'd really like to know what the minimum hardware is for both Mac and PC. I personally prefer Macs, but will go PC if the cost difference is significant, which it usually is.

Mike Squires

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 pm

The manual doesn't state minimum requirements, but I bet just about any laptop could handle it, since it is a hardware-encoder. All the laptop is doing is basically writing the stream to the hard drive.

I'd suggest buying a H.264 Recorder, and test it on a bunch of older laptops that friends or family members have.

aaronstout

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks. I guess that's a pretty simple solution. I do find it strange that there isn't any stated minimum requirements from Blackmagic.

I'll head on down to Micro Center with a camera & BM Pro recorder and see what I can conjure up. Here's to 'if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself!'

Return to Getting Started