Showing web content thru Atem1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

j_drews1

Showing web content thru Atem1

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 am

I've been searching the web and have not found one post about this. I work for a Church and we are hosting an event by Beth Moore that is simulcast via the web from their "Live" event. This is something we have to pay for and is a private link. Since the BMD switchers are broadcast quality, I know they block web content from a browser and DVD.
So, question is, has anyone run into the same problem, and is there anyway around this issue to be able to stream from my IMac via my browser and output it thru the Atem1?

Thanks,
James

Haakon Sundry

Re: Showing web content thru Atem1

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 am

j_drews1 wrote:Since the BMD switchers are broadcast quality, I know they block web content from a browser and DVD.

I've never heard of that... you should be able to just plug in the output source from your computer and assuming it's the same resolution and frame rate as your switcher's base, it should work.

Certain DVD players may give you problems because of HDCP, but not the web.

Richard Courtney

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm

j_drews1 wrote:I've been searching the web and have not found one post about this. I work for a Church and we are hosting an event by Beth Moore that is simulcast via the web from their "Live" event. This is something we have to pay for and is a private link. Since the BMD switchers are broadcast quality, I know they block web content from a browser and DVD.
So, question is, has anyone run into the same problem, and is there anyway around this issue to be able to stream from my IMac via my browser and output it thru the Atem1?

Thanks,
James

Use a video card that can output at the same framerate and resolution that your switcher is
running at. If it is a dual output drag your browser to the secondary monitor (which is usually the HDMI out on a dual head card).

Try showing something from Youtube and click on the full screen button.

I'm sure this is truly web and not Satellite DVB from Galaxy 19 which involves pro gear..
Last edited by Richard Courtney on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j_drews1

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm using ProPresenter 5 hooked up to and Ultra Studio so I can key lyrics over our video. So, when I have been trying to use the browser in ProPresenter it never shows to the switcher. I do have my computer set to the right output because I can run regular videos/backgrounds from Pro5 to the switcher. I'm wondering if the browser itself in Pro5 has different settings?

Richard Courtney

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Use your normal internet browser instead.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm

That's not anything to do with the ATEM. It's an issue with ProPresenter (is it designed to allow you to share your screen or an application window out via the Ultra Studio?).

What we are talking about is connecting your ATEM to your system as an "external display" (via HDMI). That's the easiest approach to having anything on your computer displayed via the ATEM.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

j_drews1

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. I will try just using my regular browser and trying that. I'm actually not using any HDMI... I have the newer IMacs, so I'm using thunderbolt to an Ultra Studio and then 2 SDI (key/fill) lines into the Atem on channels 7&8.

rcourtney wrote:
j_drews1 wrote:I've been searching the web and have not found one post about this. I work for a Church and we are hosting an event by Beth Moore that is simulcast via the web from their "Live" event. This is something we have to pay for and is a private link. Since the BMD switchers are broadcast quality, I know they block web content from a browser and DVD.

Thanks,
James

Use a video card that can output at the same framerate and resolution that your switcher is
running at. If it is a dual output drag your browser to the secondary monitor (which is usually the HDMI out on a dual head card).

Try showing something from Youtube and click on the full screen button.

I'm sure this is truly web and not Satellite DVB from Galaxy 19 which involves pro gear..

We are once again doing the GLS from Willow Creek this year via satellite and was going to try to use the HDMI out from the Sat receiver to the Atem1. Basically just as a back up to our back up if for some instance our center screen projector took a dump. The Willow Channel, if memory serves me right uses Galaxy 17. I haven't tried it yet, but I was assuming that it might not work unless there is somewhere in the satellite receiver software where you can change output resolution. Would I be correct with that assumption?
Thanks everyone!!!
James

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 pm

j_drews1 wrote:Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. I will try just using my regular browser and trying that. I'm actually not using any HDMI... I have the newer IMacs, so I'm using thunderbolt to an Ultra Studio and then 2 SDI (key/fill) lines into the Atem on channels 7&8.

Oh wow. That was one very key piece of information you just provided. From you original post I had no idea you were connecting that way. The suggestions for doing this via HDMI is completely pointless... as is "dragging any browser window over to the "external display". Basically in the configuration you are using there is no "external display". Instead the output is completely controlled via ProPresenter. Unless that software has some method to "display" parts of your desktop/apps I don't think you can do anything like what you are looking for.

We are once again doing the GLS from Willow Creek this year via satellite and was going to try to use the HDMI out from the Sat receiver to the Atem1. Basically just as a back up to our back up if for some instance our center screen projector took a dump. The Willow Channel, if memory serves me right uses Galaxy 17. I haven't tried it yet, but I was assuming that it might not work unless there is somewhere in the satellite receiver software where you can change output resolution. Would I be correct with that assumption?
Thanks everyone!!!
James

I'm not really understanding what you are doing here (GLS from Willow Creek?). Is that some Pro term I am clueless on (I won't be surprised if it is).

Is this some kind of pro satellite receiver to get some over-the-air (well... from space) TV channel? If the output is HDMI - it's very likely going to be copy protected with HDCP. In which case.. it will not work with the ATEM. I've used pro HD Satellite gear (downlink for a NASA feed) and that gear allowed us HD-SDI - and we could change the output resolution to whatever was needed. These boxes also sometimes have HD Component out - which won't be copy protected either.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Kevin Yoo

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 2:10 am

ProPresenter cannot display DVDs (because of copy protection reasons) or the Web view (because it is not processed through the render engine) out via SDI with the Alpha Keyer (or SDI) Modules.

If you have a second Thunderbolt port on your Mac that is available and an open HDMI (or SDI with converter) input on the switcher, you can assign the output in ProPresenter > Preferences > Display and output both the DVD and Web view that way.

Richard Courtney

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Liam,
Yes not knowing it was a mac with thunderbolt does change the path of helpful replies.
You do need to be able to see a Youtube Flash video before you can see the program in question.
I am not familiar with macs so can't help further.

It is not OTA (like ATSC digital TV in the USA) but rather FTA unencrypted digital satellite.
(DVB-S or DVB-S2)
We have a Tandberg 1290 receiver and it converts to SD/HD-HDI that can used with ATEMs.
This program appears to be web delivered, not satellite. Only one time they had to send us a card
to decrypt a broadcast. I may have been wrong about the satellite Galaxy 19 is the one
Pittsburg Teleport is currently using. Galaxy 17 is ABC network affiliates.

Edit: Don't want to confuse anyone about MAC or Mac or mac :roll:
Last edited by Richard Courtney on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm

If you need to get a secondary display from your iMac your best bet is a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, and then a HDMI to SDI format converter. This is what I do today. If you have a choice of any Mac then I would suggest a Mac Mini as it has the HDMI port on it already. Just take that in to a HDMI to SDI format converter and you're all set... Well, you need to set your output resolution to the ATEM resolution of course.

This method will not yield an alpha channel as there is no alpha channel to offer. If you need to grab video with an alpha channel, then you'll need something like CasparCG.

For the record it is 'Mac' as it is not an acronym. MAC means Media Access Control and is completely different than a Macintosh or Mac but both are computer related. You can get techies turned around when using the wrong one, and I'm being super picky ;)
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Return to Live Production