Classic vs Clinical

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gan Eden

Classic vs Clinical

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 am

I reading here that some people want a "nice cinematic look" to either their BMC or BMPCC yet then start talking about modern digital lenses? :shock:

C'mon guys, start using the skil and artform of MANUALLY FOCUSING. Yes I know manual lenses cannot be used in all situations but for many many years ENG cameras managed pretty well considering they never had AF or IS!! Same with film rigs!

I suggest seriously looking at both C mount cine and B4 ENG lens for a more traditional classic look rather than a souless digital look.

Just my Ten bob's worth. ;)

Steve DiMaggio

Re: Classic vs Clinical

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 3:52 am

Gan can you recommend some lenses under 1K?

Jeff Manning

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 5:11 am

I notice that all the time as well... People seem to make a big deal of DSLRs that can autofocus while taking video but I've always wondered why people want that. I'm very new to the world of film but the first lenses I bought when I got my 6D were old manual Nikon primes. I actually just sold my 6D but I kept my Nikon glass because I plan to use it with a Speedbooster when I get my BMPCC.

To answer Steve's question:
I'd totally recommend the Nikkor + Speedbooster route, depending on how wide you need your lenses to be.
I love my little declicked 28mm f/2.8 that I got on ebay for around $175.
On the BMPCC with a Speedbooster, I think that brings it to about 56mm

If you REALLY want budget lenses, look up some of the C mount stuff from Computar. I can't vouch for the quality since I don't currently have a camera to test them on but, for how cheap they are it's definitely worth trying out. I bought a 25mm f/1.3 yesterday for $15 off of craigslist. I also have a 12.5mm f/1.3 on the way that I got for about $80 on ebay.

Steve DiMaggio

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 8:08 pm

if I had the pc I would def go speedbooster, I contacted them recently and said they do not make a nikon to ef mount sadly.

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Steve DiMaggio wrote:if I had the pc I would def go speedbooster, I contacted them recently and said they do not make a nikon to ef mount sadly.

The Metabones Speed Booster or any focal reducer requires a lens designed for a larger sensor like a full-frame camera (FX) or APS-C (DX) and then it reduces the image circle to roughly fit on a smaller sensor, such as a true micro four thirds of BMCC/BMPCC sensor. You could use an MSB to go from full EF to EF-S in terms of sensor size but the flange distance of EF and EF-S lenses of course are identical so there is no room to accommodate the MSB. The difference in flange focal distance from Nikon (46.5mm) to EF/EF-S (44mm) doesn't allow enough room for the additional four element optics I believe.

Edit: corrected errors in the flange focal distance (sorry about that)!
Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

bhook

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Gan Eden wrote:Yes I know manual lenses cannot be used in all situations but for many many years ENG cameras managed pretty well considering they never had AF or IS!!

We had IS back in the day...rented it for $3,500.00 a day. :mrgreen:

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

mhood wrote:
Gan Eden wrote:Yes I know manual lenses cannot be used in all situations but for many many years ENG cameras managed pretty well considering they never had AF or IS!!

We had IS back in the day...rented it for $3,500.00 a day. :mrgreen:

Marc, is that you in the hat? Now I think about it, I don't believe I have any stills of me using my WWII era Bolex! Maybe a good thing... too 'Classico' as my nieces would say.

Rick Lang
Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

bhook

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 11:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:Marc, is that you in the hat?

Rick Lang

Nope...He was my engineer at the time. We ran the cameras out of that van in the background. His name was Gib Gibbons...first cousin of Billy Gibbons, the ZZ Top king of tone. The very pretty lady on camera stood in while I took the picture...she was much better looking than I was. ;)

This is me trying to tame an Elemac dolly on rails with a jib arm:

Ok, I done with the nostalgia overdose. :lol:

Michael Borkowski

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 am

Hi
I Concur!
Re ...can you recommend lens under 1k
Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens
Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine lens
Rokinon 24mm T1.5 Cine Lens ....NOTE ..Not the 24mm .... as i find it a fx lens from From t1.5 -2.4
Renders lots of glow or bloom at the lower aperture values though is great after T..or f 2.8-onwards
unless you like a late 70's early 80's kitsch glow look.

You can check out this Raw Bmc footage below using the 24mm at f1.4
just the opening old train shots ....keep in mind this was somewhat de glowed.... the rest is using a Zeiss PLANAR T50 mm F/1.4 .....at mostly f2.8

http://synapsecreative.com.au/showreel.html

Over a few k
Cooke S4/i Classics T2
Zeiss MK3 Superspeed Kit T1.3
Zeiss Ultraprime Kit T1.9

Cheers.
Michael Borkowski, Markus Holland.

http://www.synapsecreative.com.au

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 am

mhood wrote:... Ok, I done with the nostalgia overdose. :lol:

Thanks! I love these "classic" references partially in keeping with this thread. Maybe some others will post their pics from back in the day when there was no such thing as auto scene, focus peaking, and zebras ran in the wild.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

wipeman

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 am

Jeff Manning wrote:If you REALLY want budget lenses, look up some of the C mount stuff from Computar. I can't vouch for the quality since I don't currently have a camera to test them on but, for how cheap they are it's definitely worth trying out. I bought a 25mm f/1.3 yesterday for $15 off of craigslist. I also have a 12.5mm f/1.3 on the way that I got for about $80 on ebay.

I notice these Computar lenses have a wire coming out of them. I assume it is for some sort of auto-aperture or something and would attach to a suitable camera body. do you know if these can be removed? Is there also a manual option for both focus and aperture on these lenses?

Jeff Manning

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 am

wipeman wrote:I notice these Computar lenses have a wire coming out of them. I assume it is for some sort of auto-aperture or something and would attach to a suitable camera body. do you know if these can be removed? Is there also a manual option for both focus and aperture on these lenses?

Sorry, I should've provided some links.
You'll want to look for the ones that are all manual. I know nothing about the ones that have the wires coming out of them.
The ones that I bought look like this:
lenses.jpg
lenses.jpg (143.85 KiB) Viewed 3614 times

You may want to do a bit of research before buying since some of them won't cover the whole sensor.
I'm not entirely sure on what the rules here are for linking to other forums so I'll just say that if you google "blackmagic pocket cinema c mount" you should find at least a couple places that have lists of compatible c mount lenses from various brands.

wipeman

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am

I was looking at a similar lens but this one had a wire. Thanks for the photos :)

Has your research told you that both of these lenses (25mm and 12.5mm) will fit on the camera with a MFT adapter without any modification to the back of the lenses?

Jeff Manning

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm actually pretty sure that both of the lenses I bought may very well require modification but I'm a DIY guy so I kinda love stuff like that. Haha just look up a list of bmpcc compatible lenses and they ought to note if any given lens requires modification.
For example: The Computar 25mm f/1.8 works without modification, as does the Wollensak Cine Raptar 12.5mm f/1.5. However, the Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.8 needs to be modified.

Return to Cinematography