Help a Newb!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

IANDUNN

Help a Newb!

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to join the BMCC family. I have read every forum, here and there, about EF vs MFT. After reading them all I am still confused on what to choose.

Here is my situation: I am limited to a budget of about $3000. I own a set of Nikkor AI Primes all with EF adapters--as I owned a 5D II. I am looking to shoot a mockumentary style webisode and I am a one man team when it comes to camera, sound and lights.

With only owning the set of Nikkor's it seems all forums point to owning the MFT version. But, I have a feeling that the MFT, being a dumb mount, will be more expensive with needing to buy a speed booster and I have not found a good zoom lens for the MFT version. However, I do know that my Nikkor primes will be handy as the MFT to Nikon mount is much better than the EOS to Nikon mount.

As for the EF version it seems like I could just get the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm and pretty much be set for what I am doing. And it seems that the new Firmware coming out will give the EF version some added benefits that the MFT version doesn't have.

So, do you think the EF version, even though I would sacrifice the versatility of the MFT mount, be the better choice. Are there some things I might be overlooking? Thanks in advance. :P

Mac Jaeger

Re: Help a Newb!

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 am

Why not take the Pocket CC and save $1k for the lenses?

IANDUNN

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Mac,

You bring up a good point, and I did have a pre-order since day one and cancelled it. With the new price drops you get a little more camera, but you do make a good point.

Mark de Jeu

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm

IANDUNN wrote:But, I have a feeling that the MFT, being a dumb mount, will be more expensive with needing to buy a speed booster and I have not found a good zoom lens for the MFT version.

You do not NEED the Speed Booster with MFT, but at least it's an option for you. There is no current or future option for Speed Booster with EF mount. In terms of cost, your glass options can make the BMCC MFT less expensive. For zooms on the MFT, maybe the new Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8, or a nice Nikon that would match your existing glass. The Tokina you mention comes in a Nikon mount. Or maybe even http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-14x-8-5-1 ... 4175d3486c.

Unless you already have the EF glass that covers all your (current and future) needs, our unless you just prefer the look of Canon glass, I'm missing the reason someone would get the EF version over the MFT. I've heard of some who do not like the 'wrong way' focus of Nikon lenses, but that seems to be a trivial fix with a reverse-geared follow focus. With your current Nikon set, you seem to have resolved that issue for your needs.
Last edited by Mark de Jeu on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Taylor Camarot

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Maybe I dont fully understand your situation but you will need more than $3000 to get a fully operational BMCC, regardless of lenses.

-SSD's (480 - $350 EACH)
-External battery (unless you are always plugged in a wall, greatly limiting your mobility and shots - $400)
-Fluid Head Tripod (which you NEED if you do any camera movement - $600)
-EVF (do you plan on using the BMCC outside at all? $800)
-BMCC ($3000)

so right there you are at approx. $4,850. And that is still without ND filters, Shoulder rig, mattebox, etc. This is still incredibly cheap compared to nearly any other camera, but do not be fooled by the $3000 price tag
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

Ryan Jones

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 4:00 am

If everything is in place to shoot EF, adaptor wise, why not buy the EF and spend the remaining budget on SSDs and other necessities?

IANDUNN

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 4:35 am

Mark de Jeu wrote:
IANDUNN wrote:In terms of cost, your glass options can make the BMCC MFT less expensive. For zooms on the MFT, maybe the new Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8,

Hi Mark,

You make a really good point. When you talk about the above are you referring to the Nikon mounted one? Also, does this lens need power?

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 am

The active vs "dumb" MFT mount is an issue I struggled with too. My main zoom is a Leica Four Thirds zoom, with an MFT adapter - it has manual focus, but is a "focus by wire" manual -- requiring power from camera to run focus motor. Sigma lists manual focus over ride, but does not indicate if it is "Focus by Wire" or real manual focus like the Toknia lenses. Usually a manual focus on auto focus requires releasing the focus motor like the push/pull clutch on Toknia focus ring. However the newer Nikon power zooms have quick manual/auto setting that is a true manual focus, no power required, no clutch. Also there are several good nikon to MFT adapters that add iris/f-stop control of the nikon G lenses. I used my Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF G lens on a MFT AF100 with the adapter and it worked great - no power to lens, so manual focus and the adapter's iris control to adjust f stop, the AF100 still displayed correct f/stop as I adjusted adapter's iris control.

So since my favorite Zoom requires "power" I opted for the active MFT on the Pocket camera, as I shot ProRes and not "raw" anyway.
Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark de Jeu

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 pm

IANDUNN wrote:
Mark de Jeu wrote:For zooms on the MFT, maybe the new Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8,

When you talk about the above are you referring to the Nikon mounted one?

Yes.

IANDUNN wrote:Also, does this lens need power?

My understanding (without experience to confirm) is no. A lot of people are expecting this lens to work fine, but it will be great to see confirmation from a user of this new lens on the BMCC MFT. And some are expecting that combining with Speed Booster will make a nearly complete kit for them. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

IANDUNN

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Denny wrote:So since my favorite Zoom requires "power" I opted for the active MFT on the Pocket camera, as I shot ProRes and not "raw" anyway.
Denny

Hi Denny, I originally had a pre-order for the bmpcc since the first day they announced it, but like the impatient idiot I am, I unfortunately cancelled it upon hearing the price drop of the BMCC--since it was a amazing deal. Now, I am worried that if I order the bmpcc again I wont receive it until ... God knows when :(

Mark de Jeu

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Denny wrote:So since my favorite Zoom requires "power" I opted for the active MFT on the Pocket camera

I'm holding off expectations of the Pocket CC active mount working on anything outside the BMD-confirmed list of MFT-mount lenses until confirmed in the field.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

IANDUNN

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

So, I am thinking I have the below options, and thinking the MFT might be the best route to get a good start, still weighing my option. Of course, as time passes, and I save more money, the more I can add. This seems to come close to my budget …

Can someone let me know if I might be missing something …

Items I have:

1. Manfrotto 701 w/ Manfrotto sticks – a little worried that this might not be good enough to hold the BMCC.
2. H4N Zoom – This should take care of the sound.
3. MFT – Nikon mount
4. Set of Nikkor-AI primes 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm
5. Canon EF-S 18-135 (Only if I get the EF version)

Options of Items I will purchase:

1. BMCC MFT w/ Switronix Battery and Charger combo - $2195.00
2. SanDisk 240gb - $170 – this should suffice for now for PRORES.
3. Sigma 18-35mm 1.8f Nikon mount - $799.99

Total spent: $3,164.99

Or…

1. BMCC MFT w/ Switronix Battery and Charger combo - $2195.00
2. SanDisk 240gb - $170 – this should suffice for now for PRORES.

Use the Canon EF-S lens, and lose the MFT versatility.
Total spent: $2365.00

Anyone, know any good camera bag solutions?

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

IANDUNN wrote:1. Manfrotto 701 w/ Manfrotto sticks – a little worried that this might not be good enough to hold the BMCC.

I used a Manfrotto 701 head on Manfrotto 055CX legs for the first project I shot on the BMCC: . It worked fine, but there wasn't some huge rig on there, just a camera slider and the camera + lens. I have since bought a Manfrotto 500 head and I'm really happy with it (500, not 501 or 502. 500 replaces 701). It doesn't have proper friction control either, but it's smoother and larger than the 701.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

IANDUNN

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
IANDUNN wrote:https://vimeo.com/63790145.
Beautiful work ... just amazing! Thanks for sharing this makes me feel better about the 701.

Return to Cinematography