Any feature shot on the BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rod Lopez

Any feature shot on the BMCC?

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I was wondering if anybody knew of any feature film that is being shot or was shot on the BlackMagic camera? I'm curious. I am considering using the camera for a feature I will be shooting later on this fall and I wanted to see if anybody else has already done so.
Thanks,
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Theodore Prentice

Re: Any feature shot on the BMCC?

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 pm

If you havent purchased the camera already, then its a complete no-brainer at the new price. You can spend the savings for the needed data acquisition pieces (ssds, ssd reader)

The original BMCC is more that capable of shooting a "feature" or any other format for broadcast. You will still need all the other "feature" film required goodies, such as lighting, audio, talent, etc..

I speak from experience, having used the camera for "shot for broadcast" tv commercials, and music videos. (I own and shoot with the BMCC EF )

The workflow was a little quirky at first (no remaining time on ssd displayed, no clip management, etc) but the camera has been a rock solid investment as far as picture quality is concerned.

Hope this helps, or was there something in particular you wanted answered?

Rod Lopez

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks! That certainly answered a lot of my questions. I just got the camera less than a week ago. I have been shooting on DSLR for a while now, mostly 5Dmkii and iii. So I am now getting familiar with the workflow and such. I've already shot a handful of features but again, nothing with vmcc. And I've been searching online for information about features who used the camera. I have found an infinitive amount of test shots and short form projects but no feature so I was curious as to why. Again, thanks for the response.
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Im still getting used to shooting and having a 5d as a b-cam. (I never cared for shooting much with dslr.. no comment :mrgreen: )

So far shooting pro res on bmcc, and custom white balancing the 5d has given good results to match footage in post, for me anyway. Others probably have a different experience.

Good luck with the features!!

David J. Lee

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 8:54 am

I think Shane Hurlbut is shooting "Need for Speed" on the BMCC but I'm not 100% if that's as A cam or B cam (think it as A cam.) His latest blog post is some of his camera tests:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013 ... era-tests/

Dustin Uy

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 10:39 am

Weve shot a feature length for it

michaelsmithss

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 am

I've shot a feature with the BMCC.

Only have a few bad things to say and they are the usual ones that people pick up on such as, no ssd data indicator, can't delete clips on camera.

But I'm more than happy with the workflow and the final result of the image.

Rod Lopez

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Umbrella looks really good. I'd love to see it once it's completed. I know the bmcc can deliver a great look, but it's those other little quirks that makes me hesitate when it comes to using it to shoot a film. I gues it's like anything, I just need to get used to its workflow. For the price, I can't pass on it.
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Need for Speed is actually Canon C500, Canon 1DC, 5D, 7D, and GoPro. I don't think the BMCC is going used at all. Supposedly the Alexa is being used (according to IMDB) but I don't remember Shane ever saying he was using that camera and I recall him saying the C500 is the A cam. I could be wrong.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 pm

in the shotonwhat website the only feature that appears by BMCC is Puberty Blues...ahahahahha
http://shotonwhat.com/camera/blackmagic-design-cameras
Jesus Soriano

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 5:54 pm

SALT is a short, but has quickly become one of my favorites using the BMCC, Nice story, Beautifully shot, Great acting, And almost perfect color correction.

steve connor

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:SALT is a short, but has quickly become one of my favorites using the BMCC, Nice story, Beautifully shot, Great acting, And almost perfect color correction.

Now that's how you make a short film!

Rod Lopez

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:SALT is a short, but has quickly become one of my favorites using the BMCC, Nice story, Beautifully shot, Great acting, And almost perfect color correction.

Great film! really enjoyed it!
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 pm

newstyleip wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew of any feature film that is being shot or was shot on the BlackMagic camera? I'm curious. I am considering using the camera for a feature I will be shooting later on this fall and I wanted to see if anybody else has already done so.
Thanks,

We're in preproduction on a feature now that we're going to shoot on the BMCC, probably using raw. We're hoping to start production photography within a month.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rod Lopez

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Tamerlin wrote:
newstyleip wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew of any feature film that is being shot or was shot on the BlackMagic camera? I'm curious. I am considering using the camera for a feature I will be shooting later on this fall and I wanted to see if anybody else has already done so.
Thanks,

We're in preproduction on a feature now that we're going to shoot on the BMCC, probably using raw. We're hoping to start production photography within a month.

That's great to hear. I wish you good luck with the production. Please share how it goes once you get into production and post.
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm

newstyleip wrote:That's great to hear. I wish you good luck with the production. Please share how it goes once you get into production and post.

I'll try, but most likely we'll be relying on whoever ends up being the team's social butterfly to share updates until we're done with principal photography :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography