File Transfer Problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jay Yusko

File Transfer Problem

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 am

Shot some BMCC footage for a job (Prores, Film, 30 fps) and went to transfer the footage to my computer (PC, Windows 7, logged in as administrator) and ran into a problem that I have not heard of yet. The four video files can be seen on the mounted SSD (Sandisk 480 GB Extreme plugged into a Thermaltake BlackX) but cannot be copied or viewed. When I try to copy them, nothing happens (no error or status dialog box). When I try to view them, I receive the following error message: "The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and then try again". I can copy files to the SSD and create folders but just can't do anything with these four files. The files sizes are all there 7.77 gb, 4.67 gb, 2.93 gb, 1.51 gb, respectively. However, when I right click: properties on any of them, they are reported as a file size of 0 bytes.

A couple other important things: I've used this drive / dock and computer numerous times already to transfer video files and this has never happened before. Also, all of the files are viewable in camera, everything looks great there...full length, sound etc.

Any ideas? I'm desperate!

Jay Yusko

Re: File Transfer Problem

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:52 am

Ok, I've been sitting here for a few hours trying to figure this out and have come up with the reason that this is happening to me and it's kind of silly actually. I included the date in the name of each clip in this format 8/25/13. Windows does not allow the forward slashes in filenames and so I usually use this type of format 8-25-13. But for whatever silly reason, I used forward slashes so now I am doomed forever! :o

I made sure that this was the reason by performing an experiment....I shot two more clips, naming one 8/25/13 and the other 8-25-13. The 8-25-13 format file can be copied and viewed with no problems. The 8/25/13 file is just like the others.

So, I'm still kind of stuck. If I try to rename the clips that I need, I get the error message "could not find the file".

I know you people are super smart....any ideas??

Jules Bushell

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 am

Go to DOS

i.e. Go to start menu and in the run box, type "cmd"

In the CMD window, type:

cd "xxxx"

where xxxx is the full path name to your files and then use the rename command:

rename "yyyy" "zzzz"

Where yyyy is the old file name (putting quotes around it) and zzzz the new file name.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Jay Yusko

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 3:31 am

Thank you for your response. I am familiar with DOS. The problem here is pretty deep in that windows will not recognize the files on the SSD (even though I can see them). I need to find a way of renaming them (probably will have to use another operating system). Tried using chkdsk /f and that did nothing. Anytime I try to do anything (copy, cut, rename, etc) I get a message similar to "file not found".

Another (riskier) option I'm mulling over is to format the drive and then try to recover the date with something like Recuva.

Please for your own sanity, don't ever use an illegal character to name your BMCC clips! :cry:

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 am

Jay Yusko wrote:Thank you for your response. I am familiar with DOS. The problem here is pretty deep in that windows will not recognize the files on the SSD (even though I can see them). I need to find a way of renaming them (probably will have to use another operating system). Tried using chkdsk /f and that did nothing. Anytime I try to do anything (copy, cut, rename, etc) I get a message similar to "file not found".

Another (riskier) option I'm mulling over is to format the drive and then try to recover the date with something like Recuva.

Please for your own sanity, don't ever use an illegal character to name your BMCC clips! :cry:

Do you have a friend with a Mac? Mount the SSD in the dock and connect to a Mac.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Tom Fuldner

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 5:47 am

Don't reformat the drive!

Indeed, too risky.

Try Rick's suggestion.

Tom

Jay Yusko

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Adding a post to document the end result of my tribulations in the chance that someone else has this problem in the future.

I spent many hours reading articles and downloading software while working with this problem but did not have success. Only after nothing would work, in desperation, I performed a quick format of the drive in the hopes that I could recover the data using recuva (which worked). Unfortunately, at this point in time, there is no easy way to repair prores files that have been recovered from an SSD after a format. So, while I do have the files saved, they are not playable or editable for the time being. You can send them to a professional company to be repaired but my project does not have the budget for this, so I will reshoot instead.

The bottom line is that there does not seem to be an operating system (that I know of) that can handle an exFat drive and files with a forward slash in their filename. I tried about a dozen programs and techniques within Mac OS X with no success. I also tried about two dozen programs and techniques in windows. I am not that familiar with Linux or Unix, so there might be some hope for you there.

If anyone wants to duplicate this problem, just add a / to the name of a clip in camera and you will see what I was dealing with - it's a horrible problem since the clip is so close, but yet so very far away. :(

After moving on, I thought of a possible solution, which would have been to simply play the files in camera and record the SDI output somehow but I don't have access to that kind of equipment.

I hope somebody finds something useful in my struggle someday.

Return to Cinematography