Advice needed on purchasing lenses. Which mm to be purchased

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Luctantem

Advice needed on purchasing lenses. Which mm to be purchased

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 am

Well , I'm in process of building cinematography kit. But the camera, heads accessories etc... had reached my budget.

So I decided to buy just 1 lens for the moment and add one by one to my kit. But given the tight budget I need to carefully buy lenses so that I can manage to shoot all a around with less number of lenses possible and cover most of the shoot.

So I basically decide to add Rokinon Cine Lens 35mm T1.5 as 1st lens (is it ok? ) and there are following lenses in the rokinon catalog, So which order I have to follow in buying and important qsn can I just manage over all scenes with 2 lenses, If so which type?

8mm T3.8 Cine Fisheye
35mm T1.5 Cine Wide Angle
8mm T3.8 Cine HD
85mm T1.5 Cine
14mm T3.1 Cine
24mm T1.5 Cine
16mm f/2.2 Cine Wide Angel Lens

Full set here : http://www.rokinon.com/subcategory.php?subcatId=3&page=1

Camera Details ( Just in case to consider crop factors etc while advising ) : BMCC MFT with Novoflex nikon to mft adapter.

adamroberts

Re: Advice needed on purchasing lenses. Which mm to be purch

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 am

Really depends on what you are shooting.

Personally I'd go with the 24mm. It's closer to using a 35mm on a Super35mm (or 55mm on a 5D)

This would work well for narrative stuff.

Michael Borkowski

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 am

adamroberts wrote:Really depends on what you are shooting.

Personally I'd go with the 24mm. It's closer to using a 35mm on a Super35mm (or 55mm on a 5D)

This would work well for narrative stuff.

Hi
Even though the 24mm rokinon lens is a good bang for ya buck lens ...be aware
it's almost an Fx lens from T1.5 -T2.4...... meaning its exhibits a glow or a very soft bloom
at those T ,Or, f values .. then becomes workable between T2.8- T12

unless of course you like soft-glow & which would come in handy to obtain that aesthetic style.

the 14mm also exhibits this softness at lower T or F values

the 35mm and 85mm are workable & quite sharp from T1.4 or t1.5

if you like you can have a look at this footage shot with the 24mm at f1.4
this was deglowed somewhat,though its still a little evident which i like for these shots.
2nd vid down on the intro train section only!
Cheers
http://synapsecreative.com.au/showreel.html
Michael Borkowski, Markus Holland.

http://www.synapsecreative.com.au

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

True but very few lenses are at their best wide open. I find it best to stop them down 2-3 stops. Another reason to get the fastest lens you can afford because you'll want to stop it down anyway.

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Luctantem wrote:Well , I'm in process of building cinematography kit. But the camera, heads accessories etc... had reached my budget.

So I decided to buy just 1 lens for the moment and add one by one to my kit. But given the tight budget I need to carefully buy lenses so that I can manage to shoot all a around with less number of lenses possible and cover most of the shoot.

So I basically decide to add Rokinon Cine Lens 35mm T1.5 as 1st lens (is it ok? ) and there are following lenses in the rokinon catalog, So which order I have to follow in buying and important qsn can I just manage over all scenes with 2 lenses, If so which type?

8mm T3.8 Cine Fisheye
35mm T1.5 Cine Wide Angle
8mm T3.8 Cine HD
85mm T1.5 Cine
14mm T3.1 Cine
24mm T1.5 Cine
16mm f/2.2 Cine Wide Angel Lens

Full set here : http://www.rokinon.com/subcategory.php?subcatId=3&page=1

Camera Details ( Just in case to consider crop factors etc while advising ) : BMCC MFT with Novoflex nikon to mft adapter.

Luc, since you are buying manual Nikon lenses for the BMCC MFT camera, you might want to consider the effect of adding the Metabones Speed Booster for MFT to Nikon. If you think a MSB is in your future then that might affect which lenses you buy. Certainly the types of scenes and distances you work in is a major factor and if your next expense is the 24mm lens, that does make sense. However you might think for a moment about buying the MSB next and that will change your 35mm T1.5 into something like a 25mm T1.1. And if you did that I'd recommend you look at the 16mm T2.2 lens next and the MSB turns that into roughly an 11mm T1.6 lens. After that, if you need longer shots, go for the 85mm T1.5 and turn that into about a 60mm T1.1.

Food for thought?

35mm T1.5 has angle of view (AOV) of 80mm full-frame (FF)
35mm T1.5 w/MSB becomes 25mm T1.1 with AOV about 55mm FF

16mm T2.2 has AOV of about 35mm FF
16mm T2.2 w/MSB becomes 11mm T1.6 with AOV about 25mm FF

85mm T1.5 has AOV of almost a 200mm FF
85mm T1.5 w/MSB becomes 60mm T1.1 with AOV about 135mm FF

So with those three primes and MSB combinations you have some very fast apertures on 11mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 60mm, and 85mm lenses which cover the range of 25mm to 200mm FF.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ronald Coltress

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 4:44 am

Would this lens work on the BMCC MFT...It says Manual and Auto in the description and I wasn't sure if the auto part would factor in on the MFT
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

adamroberts

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Reger wrote:Would this lens work on the BMCC MFT...It says Manual and Auto in the description and I wasn't sure if the auto part would factor in on the MFT
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

It would work. I've tried it on the BMCC EF. Not really ideal tho. The focus ring has a short throw and turns infinitely.

You'll need an adaptor that can control the aperture of a Nikon G lens.

Gabe Darvas

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Kinda off-topic...

I have a Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. As I'm new to the BMCC world, I'm kinda weak at the wide end. I thought I could use this lens for a couple of shots in my feature film... It would equal to 30mm on the BMCC with the Speed Booster. How would the f3.5 aperture change? Will it be like 2.8?

Does anyone has any experience with this lens on the BMCC?
Gabe D.

Brian Caldwell

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 2:55 am

therussian2 wrote:Kinda off-topic...

I have a Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. As I'm new to the BMCC world, I'm kinda weak at the wide end. I thought I could use this lens for a couple of shots in my feature film... It would equal to 30mm on the BMCC with the Speed Booster. How would the f3.5 aperture change? Will it be like 2.8?

You just need to multiply both the focal length and f-number by 0.71 to get the result: 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 will become 12.8-39mm f/2.5-f/4 .

Gabe Darvas

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 am

Anyone?
Gabe D.

Gabe Darvas

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 pm

?
Gabe D.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 pm

therussian2 wrote:

Anyone?

Since the Speed Booster gives an extra stop, it doubles the amount of light hitting the sensor; effectively doubling the area of the aperture (assuming it's perfectly circular).

At f3.5, not needing the focal length of the lens for this comparison... but we'll use 55mm

=55/3.5, a diameter of 15.71mm aperture
the radius is therefore 7.86mm

Area is 193.95mm2. One extra stop of light means doubling the area to 387.89mm2

Work backwards to get the diameter from the area, gives 22.22mm. 55/22.22 = 2.47

So with a Speed Booster, a lens at f3.5 becomes f2.47

Jules

P.S. I have a Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Never needed to use it as I have faster prime lenses and a wider zoom.
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Return to Cinematography