capturing from Bmcc mft with HD extreme 3D possible?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Junior Ikenwa

capturing from Bmcc mft with HD extreme 3D possible?

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I have BM Decklink Extreme 3D card
but I wonder if I can capture video
from BMCC MFT SDI out put
to my hddrive, through BM extreme 3D card.
any one with idea, how to set it up, thanks

Tony
bmcc mft
extreme 3d card

Junior Ikenwa

Re: capturing from Bmcc mft with HD extreme 3D possible?

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:49 pm

any help

Randy Walters

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:16 pm

JT, this is really quite straightforward. I can't walk you through the specific steps, but I do use this exact card to capture stereo 3D over HDMI. SDI should work the same way.

You use the program "Blackmagic Media Express", which is installed along with the card's Desktop Video software. Get the latest version from the Blackmagic support section on their site.

All the instructions are in the Desktop Video manual (same place); they do a better job than I could of walking you through it!

Very Important - use their Speed Test software to make sure your drive/RAID is actually capable of supporting the required bandwidth! I use an 8-drive RAID array; if you're just trying to capture to a single system drive, it's probably not going to keep up. You need solid bandwidth to get good, clean, reliable captures.

Good luck! Works like a charm for me, even in stereo.

Junior Ikenwa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Randy Walters wrote:JT, this is really quite straightforward. I can't walk you through the specific steps, but I do use this exact card to capture stereo 3D over HDMI. SDI should work the same way.

You use the program "Blackmagic Media Express", which is installed along with the card's Desktop Video software. Get the latest version from the Blackmagic support section on their site.

All the instructions are in the Desktop Video manual (same place); they do a better job than I could of walking you through it!

Very Important - use their Speed Test software to make sure your drive/RAID is actually capable of supporting the required bandwidth! I use an 8-drive RAID array; if you're just trying to capture to a single system drive, it's probably not going to keep up. You need solid bandwidth to get good, clean, reliable captures.

Good luck! Works like a charm for me, even in stereo.

Thank you so much, you said what is the best for me, at least half bread is better than none,
if i may ask,
if i use single SSD sandisk 480gb on my Pc can it work as well?

Randy Walters

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Is that SSD the drive your system is booting from? When working with video, you should always be using at least a second drive, free from system and software, to store your data on.

If all you have is one drive, you're going to fill it pretty quickly with the footage you capture... and the fuller it gets, the slower it will run.

The easiest way to find out is to run the Speed Test software, as I suggested.

Junior Ikenwa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Randy Walters wrote:Is that SSD the drive your system is booting from? When working with video, you should always be using at least a second drive, free from system and software, to store your data on.

If all you have is one drive, you're going to fill it pretty quickly with the footage you capture... and the fuller it gets, the slower it will run.

The easiest way to find out is to run the Speed Test software, as I suggested.

Thanks,
i have one SSD 480 gb for programs installations only (booting) and another 480 gb for storage,
then 2tb verocraptor from wd also for storage such as pictures and compreesed video files

Randy Walters

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm

It sounds like your setup should work, though I'm curious why you aren't just copying the camera's files from the internal SSD. Que pasa?

Junior Ikenwa

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 am

Randy Walters wrote:It sounds like your setup should work, though I'm curious why you aren't just copying the camera's files from the internal SSD. Que pasa?

yes, well I know about that, I'm just new into this
trying to understand more about the camera and the card I have
the functions,
Thank you any way for your support

Return to Cinematography