Mounting options that don't obstruct the fan?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Pfeiffer

Mounting options that don't obstruct the fan?

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:24 am

I was shooting at the park today and it was pretty hot out, and something I noticed was that after a while the "REC" indicator was blinking during recording which I believe means that the camera is dropping frames. Thinking that maybe the SSD was getting full, I popped it out to put in a fresh one and noticed that it was pretty dang hot. I've noticed that all of the quick release and mounting plates that I have at least partially obstruct the exhaust vent on the camera body. I'd like to get something that doesn't, but due to the vent being pretty close to the mounting hole on the bottom of the camera, whatever I get is going to have to be pretty narrow. Does anyone know of any solutions to this? Cheaper and simpler would be better, like just a quick release adapter or something along those lines.
Sean Pfeiffer

Darryl Gregory

Re: Mounting options that don't obstruct the fan?

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 4:53 am

Not that I need visuals, but it always helps us...help you better, if we can see pics, or at the very least know what mounting plates and SSD drives you are using, And yes SSD drives are known to get "pretty dang hot" in the BMCC or a PC, Also it may "NOT" be your plates airflow , It could be your SSD drive dropping frames, anyway the more info (PICS INCLUDED) the better any of us can help you.

Cheers

Jules Bushell

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 am

Maybe cut out a sheet of rubber that goes on to the plate, cutting away a rectangular hole where the vent goes. The rubber in between the plate and camera should make everything non-slip and stable whilst leaving a gap for the vent. Just my thought anyway.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 am

Jules Bushell wrote:Maybe cut out a sheet of rubber that goes on to the plate, cutting away a rectangular hole where the vent goes. The rubber in between the plate and camera should make everything non-slip and stable whilst leaving a gap for the vent. Just my thought anyway.

Jules

LOL :D HAHAHAHA OMG!

Sean Pfeiffer

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 8:46 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Not that I need visuals, but it always helps us...help you better, if we can see pics, or at the very least know what mounting plates and SSD drives you are using, And yes SSD drives are known to get "pretty dang hot" in the BMCC or a PC, Also it may "NOT" be your plates airflow , It could be your SSD drive dropping frames, anyway the more info (PICS INCLUDED) the better any of us can help you.

Cheers

Well, I've got a cavision mounting bracket (model RS-15IIMQR), a couple no-name support rigs which I use rarely, and a giottos MH621 quick release adapter. I'm using a set of 4 Kingston SSDnow V+200 120GB and a pair of Sandisk Extreme 240GB. I am aware that the SSDs will get hot, though I get worried whenever any electronic component gets hot enough that it's almost painful to touch(which is what happened).

Due to the other thread popping up, I am now aware that Kingston drives may have problems with overheating compared to the Sandisks. So this may be an issue.

I have managed to think up at least a temporary solution, by screwing a thumbscrew with a threaded hole on the bottom into the bottom mount of the camera to act as a spacer, then attaching the quick release plate, it gives me an extra quarter to half inch worth of space between the camera and the mounting surface. It isn't much, but may be enough. Still looking for suggestions though.
Sean Pfeiffer

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 am

S_Pfeiffer wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Not that I need visuals, but it always helps us...help you better, if we can see pics, or at the very least know what mounting plates and SSD drives you are using, And yes SSD drives are known to get "pretty dang hot" in the BMCC or a PC, Also it may "NOT" be your plates airflow , It could be your SSD drive dropping frames, anyway the more info (PICS INCLUDED) the better any of us can help you.

Cheers

Well, I've got a cavision mounting bracket (model RS-15IIMQR), a couple no-name support rigs which I use rarely, and a giottos MH621 quick release adapter. I'm using a set of 4 Kingston SSDnow V+200 120GB and a pair of Sandisk Extreme 240GB. I am aware that the SSDs will get hot, though I get worried whenever any electronic component gets hot enough that it's almost painful to touch(which is what happened).

Due to the other thread popping up, I am now aware that Kingston drives may have problems with overheating compared to the Sandisks. So this may be an issue.

I have managed to think up at least a temporary solution, by screwing a thumbscrew with a threaded hole on the bottom into the bottom mount of the camera to act as a spacer, then attaching the quick release plate, it gives me an extra quarter to half inch worth of space between the camera and the mounting surface. It isn't much, but may be enough. Still looking for suggestions though.

I have nothing against DIY solutions, and I have nothing against you,
I'm just arrogant and stubborn about needing to DIY a BMD Camera :)
If I can come up with a better solution with the gear you are using in a few days,
I will post it here for you.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 am

I'm using that mounting plate from Ikan, which even costs less than your Cavision plate.

http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=629

The only con is that it's not quick release, but why the hell would I release the camera from the rods in the first place? It's useless without it. So no cons for me, because I don't need a cage.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

adamroberts

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 9:56 am

The vents at the bottom of the camera are recessed so the mounting plate should not block the airflow.

I use the viewfactor cage which also covers the vents but airflow is not blocked due to the recess.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 10:18 am

adamroberts wrote:The vents at the bottom of the camera are recessed so the mounting plate should not block the airflow.

I use the viewfactor cage which also covers the vents but airflow is not blocked due to the recess.

or let other chime in, who didn't read your OP :geek:

adamroberts

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:or let other chime in, who didn't read your OP :geek:

You are not making many friends on here Darryl.

I read his original post. I was pointing out the the fans should not get blocked by a mount as its recessed.

So the issue of dropped frames is probably nothing to do with heat.

Good to see you adding value as always.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:Maybe cut out a sheet of rubber that goes on to the plate, cutting away a rectangular hole where the vent goes. The rubber in between the plate and camera should make everything non-slip and stable whilst leaving a gap for the vent. Just my thought anyway.

Jules

This technique is done by Beachtek for their bottom mounting audio adaptor.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

adamroberts

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

Jules

This technique is done by Beachtek for their bottom mounting audio adaptor.

Jules

And also a totally viable option.

Return to Cinematography