Advice on accessories, battery and rig etc. for 4K camera.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

Advice on accessories, battery and rig etc. for 4K camera.

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi all,

It's a few months since I put a deposit on the 4k camera and unlike most people awaiting their Black Magic Camera, I'm in no hurry at all! For the simple fact that I'm trying to put get finance for the camera and the vital accessories that I'll need to start off. If anyone has advice on my queries below it'd be appreciated. Forgive me if the questions are premature as the BMDPC obviously isn't out yet.

What type of ssd(s) would most likely be best for the 4k?

I already have a full Lanparte (dslr) rig (minus the matte box). Is anyone using one of these with the BMDCC? I know they have a new specific cage for the Bmdcc out but I'm not ready to get that.

Regarding batteries, as I have the Lanparte rig, I was thinking of the Lanparte V-mount battery pinch. Does anyone use that battery system with their BMCC? or is there a better alternative? (switronix maybe)

I have a tripod but seriously thinking of upgrading if budget allows. Just wondering if anyone has any good advice on a nice tripod that wont break the bank. Something under 7-800 dollars perhaps.

Finally on the lens topic (I know there's already lots of lens queries on here). I currently have a 50 and 100 prime and I'm looking at a 24-30 range prime. I was thinking of a Rokinon 24. If anyone can recommend any other equally good lenses in this range that may be as good for less please advise.

That's all for now! as I said advice and feedback would be great.

Huey

PaulDelVecchio

Re: Advice on accessories, battery and rig etc. for 4K camer

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Sandisk Extremem SSDs seem to be the most reliable. They're not the cheapest ones, but the few dollars extra means better reliability and that's super important.

I'm sure the Lanparte rig will be fine. I'm not sure if you have the shoulder mount rig, or which one, but the DSLR one looks like it will be front heavy. You probably want the camera right on top of your shoulder or as close as possible. That's my preference.

The Lanparte V-mount rig will be fine and you can use Switronix batteries or I've also had good luck with Dynacore.

If you're looking for a good tripod, try finding something used (but in good condition) on Ebay. Vinten or Miller. Sachtlers will probably end up running you over $1200. I've had good luck with Manfrottos but a lot of people don't like them. Vinten I like better but I've never had a Manfrotto not be able to pan and tilt smoothly if you use the right head for the weight of your rig.

I have the Rokinon 24. Just don't shoot wide open. Also, there's a tiny bit of play when switching directions on the focus. I HATE that but I can deal with it. Rokinons are pretty good... really good for the money.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the reply and for advising on each piece of kit. This is the exact rig I currently have http://hz01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/907/406 ... 07_322.jpg but I use it in a 'bulldog' style with the shoulder mount coming from the top, level with the handle. I also have the two grips turned inwards. I like the rig but the baseplate on their new BMCC rig looks the business. See here > http://www.lanparte.com/d/file/Products ... 13203b.jpg

It may not be so front heavy with the battery etc mounted at the back, ie counterbalanced.

Cheers for the advice on the tripod too, I'll manage with what I have for now but I do soon want a heavier duty one. I'll check out the Vintens etc.

Regarding the 'play' on the Rokinon, that's a pity, probably exaggerated when using a follow focus too. And a nightmare for focus pulling on actors. What's the gearing of the focus like? Also, I like to shoot wide open for indoor etc so that mightn't be the best lens then? It does yield great results for the money.

Thanks again (and I'll subscribe on Vimeo), Googling the ssd's as we speak.

Hugh

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Just a friendly reminder:

I advise against buying relatively expensive accessories primarily for use with a camera you don't yet have in-hand.

Why? Because the BMPC-4K camera isn't shipping yet, and (based on recent BMD performance) availability may be relatively tight at least at first.

Wait until you have the camera, then buy accessories for it. In general, these items tend to go down in price over time, so that can be another reason to wait.

Once you have your camera, you can borrow/rent/buy accessories to test on it and see what you like, and also see if there are compatibility issues. If necessary you can return items for a full refund from a reputable dealer.

Alternatively, if you can use the accessories with other camera(s) while you wait for your BMPC-4K (that's what I do), great; by all means start buying accessories now if you want.

But these forums and others are littered with posts from customer who bought thousands of dollars worth of accessory gear before they received their cameras, and then waited weeks or months to use them (and were no longer able to return items).

Enjoy your gear research!

-

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Cheers Peter,

Thanks for the reply, believe me, I'm not rushing off on a spending spree here, I was just curious to what others thought of my requirements and to get an idea of cost etc. There's one or two things I would like to have when I eventually do get the camera and I'll probably only order them when I get notified about the shipping. I would hate to get delivery of it and not have an ssd to try it out! That and a thunderbolt cable are my only immediate requirements. Battery would be next. I was in fairly early with a deposit from a decent supplier of the BMDPC so when it does ship I should be within a few months of receiving it, as I said already, no hurry whatsoever :)

Huey

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 pm

That's cool, Huey. Good to hear you're taking things one step at a time. Sometimes can be overwhelming when you buy (and try to figure out) "everything" all at once.

Sometimes you don't realize what you really need or prefer until you have one or a few of the bits in-hand, too.

Just curious: How do you plan to use the Thunderbolt cable?

-

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Peter, yeah I know the feeling of being overwhelmed with stuff. That usually happens with software, like when I recently bought the Native Instruments 'Komplete' software. A daunting learning curve. Anyway, I'm new to the BMCC world and as far as I knew it connects to the mac via Thunderbolt? Is this not the case, how do you recommend connecting up then?

Hugh

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm

As described in BMD's cameras user manual, a TB cable can be used to connect a BMCC/BMPC-4K to a Mac for use with UltraScope.

The cameras don't support transferring previously-shot footage from a SSD inside the camera to a computer.

To transfer footage from a SSD, put it in a drive dock/caddie (TB, USB3, eSATA) connected to a computer.

-

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 am

OK thanks for that. I'm not as well up on the camera as a lot of you, how dumb of me to assume it transferred the files via a TB cable :lol:

H

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 am

Not dumb at all. I wish the cams supported pre-recorded footage transfer direct via TB. Might save some physical wear & tear on the cam & SSD's drive electrical contacts. But alas it doesn't work that way.

Luckily external drive docks are relatively inexpensive, and come in handy for other uses, too.

-

Nick Smith

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 am

I have that exact rig, and can confirm that it is perfectly fine with the BMCC. Though I would invest in some proper counterweights. If you're used to DSLR's, then the BMCC is hella heavy, and the battery plate is not heavy enough to act as a counterweight all by itself.

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Cheers Peter,

Dare I say I was being ever so slightly sarcastic. A thunderbolt connection and it cant be used for transferring data? I think that's absurd. I guess they have a reason but I never would have thought. I guess I'll get more up to speed when I eventually get hold of it.

Thanks Nick, I currently use the rig with the handles turned around and the camera dropped down so it's not as hard on the arms. I'll definitely look into balancing it better. Do you find that the camera turns easily on the rig? I find it hard to get the dslr fixed tight and sometimes the follow focus slips as the camera has moved to the right slightly. Very annoying, that.

Hugh

Nick Smith

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 12:43 pm

I have that same problem with DSLRs, but the BMCC has a hole for the locator pin, so that keeps it pretty firmly in place.

Return to Cinematography