Issues plaguing the Pocket Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

josephrose

Issues plaguing the Pocket Camera

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm sure the list will grow, and I'm not including feature requests or the fact that it's nowhere close to widely available over a month after it began "shipping".

So far we have:
• Poor/faulty internal audio
• Blooming sensor
• Poor battery life
• the box says that it has RAW, but it doesn't. And no ETA for it.
• horrible vertical lines all over the screen and image

I'm probably missing some. Remind me. Also, I know that not every one of these issues has appeared on every camera, at least not yet. However, due to the extremely small number of cameras that have even reached end users, any number of these showing up is a significant percentage of total active cameras.

In addition, it now seems that BMD aren't paying for the shipping to "calibrate" the bad sensors that they didn't notice were bad in the first place. They also are not admitting that there is even a problem, despite all the footage clearly showing it.

One day, if these issues are solved and the camera actually becomes available, I will buy one based on the potentially fantastic image. But I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath waiting on BMD to do the right thing, ever.

Felix Steinhardt

Re: Issues plaguing the Pocket Camera

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 pm

The problem are alternatives...I would buy a GH3 immediately but neither the EVF nor the LCD can be used for focusing and there are no other alternatives if you want it small, with good resolution...

josephrose

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Felix Steinhardt wrote:The problem are alternatives...I would buy a GH3 immediately but neither the EVF nor the LCD can be used for focusing and there are no other alternatives if you want it small, with good resolution...

I went ahead and bought the GH3. I've seen tons of good looking and in-focus footage shot on it, why do you think neither the EVF or screen can be used for focusing?

MagicAndMayhem

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 pm

josephrose wrote:I'm sure the list will grow, and I'm not including feature requests or the fact that it's nowhere close to widely available over a month after it began "shipping".

So far we have:
• Poor/faulty internal audio
• Blooming sensor
• Poor battery life
• the box says that it has RAW, but it doesn't. And no ETA for it.
• horrible vertical lines all over the screen and image

I'm probably missing some. Remind me. Also, I know that not every one of these issues has appeared on every camera, at least not yet. However, due to the extremely small number of cameras that have even reached end users, any number of these showing up is a significant percentage of total active cameras.

In addition, it now seems that BMD aren't paying for the shipping to "calibrate" the bad sensors that they didn't notice were bad in the first place. They also are not admitting that there is even a problem, despite all the footage clearly showing it.

One day, if these issues are solved and the camera actually becomes available, I will buy one based on the potentially fantastic image. But I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath waiting on BMD to do the right thing, ever.

Advertising like ...
shoot-digital-film.jpg
shoot-digital-film.jpg (157.54 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

https://vimeo.com/groups/137730/videos/61998956
check out 1;08

dealers like ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11569&p=72763#p72763

Return to Cinematography