BMCC MFT not compatible with Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

D.Stefanovich

BMCC MFT not compatible with Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7?

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 pm

We just got in our first lens for the Black Magic Cinema Camera (MFT), the "Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Lens," and the camera does not respond when we press the iris/focus buttons. We also cannot manually focus the lens using the ring. Since this is our first lens, we're not quite sure how it's supposed to go.

I looked for quite a while and looked to see if I could find if this lens was compatible in the first place but could not find a list. Does anyone know what the problem could be/if this lens is compatible? Thanks.

Alex Valente

Re: BMCC MFT not compatible with Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7?

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 am

BMCC MFT does not have an active MFT mount (communication between lens and body), so there's no way you can control iris or autofocus.

D.Stefanovich

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 am

Right. Hmm, that's what I was concerned about.

So is there a particular tidbit of information that I should look for when ordering a lens, or list of lenses that you know of that are compatible?

Austin Reed

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 am

Some of the lenses I use are Canon FD, Nikon lenses, but You'll need the different adapters (FD-m43, NikonF-m43, etc...). As long as you can set aperture manually on the lens, along with focus, you should be good. Manual iris. You can get Rokinon cine lenses with the Nikon mount or the micro 4/3 mount. SLR magic mft lenses work too. Be careful with some adapters though, they might be too tight and not work.

Return to Cinematography