Rode ntg2/audio/WHAT?!?!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

FrankApollonio

Rode ntg2/audio/WHAT?!?!

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

ok so i just tested the audio with my rode ntg2. I dont know whether its the cord, or the mic or the camera... but when i twist the 1/4" it cuts out and makes noises and all kind of crap...and obviously your not suppose to twist it. but it moves on its own also. ( why they didnt just put an XLR on this is besides me) the audio is really really quiet... even when i hold the mic a foot away at 70% mic input. Right now the ONLY thing going for this camera is its image quality. its kinda upsetting that i spent a decent amount of money and the audio sounds worse with the ntg2 then the internal mic sounds... if anyone has any knowledge on how to fix this audio issue... ( BLACKMAGIC DESIGN... ) that would be great.

Jules Bushell

Re: Rode ntg2/audio/WHAT?!?!

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi Frank,

I've had that same crackling noises (really loud) problem last night when filming with my BMCC. I kept on twisting the inputs to the camera until it went away. Will have to test before the next shoot to narrow down what the problem is.

As far as low levels are concerned, if you are not using an external pre-amp and connecting the mic directly or via a passive adaptor then firmware 1.2.1 is the best to use. I keep the BMCC channel inputs at 50% and have good levels. With later firmware, at least with my camera, the levels are way too low, noisy and not usable at all.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Return to Cinematography