Zoom H1 and BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Valentino R. Sandoli

Zoom H1 and BMCC

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi!

I'm planning to buy an external recorder for audio using a BMCC, a colleague of mine has the H4n and it's pretty good, and I've read that H1 records with the same sound quality, so, do you think it is a good combination, the BMCC and the H1? The only thing is that, from what I've understood reading the specifications of the recorder, this doesn't have an output to connect the audio recorder to the camera, but, if that's true, I think it's not a real problem, since I can sync the audio of the recorder with the camera one.

ungovernedreason

Re: Zoom H1 and BMCC

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 1:56 pm

The h1 will work in completley controlled situations if you are planning to sync in post. But it doesnt hold a candle to the h4. Definatly should be better then the onboard audio. It is definitely a begginers step though. Not the same league as h4 or other devices.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Valentino R. Sandoli

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 2:07 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:The h1 will work in completley controlled situations if you are planning to sync in post. But it doesnt hold a candle to the h4. Definatly should be better then the onboard audio. It is definitely a begginers step though. Not the same league as h4 or other devices.

I just don't want the horrible sound of the BMCC, also I don't need the best one, just happy with a decent sound... Maybe I have to research a little more but I thought the H1 was enough! Thanks!

Dustin Svehlak

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 2:11 pm

I own both and to my ears, the H4n onboard mics sound better- more bass, less metallic sounding than the H1. You also have the added advantage of using an external mic with the H4n as well as recording a separate track with the onboard mics.

Both have a headphone output that could be converted to the 1/4 of the Blackmagic. I've never recorded this way as I just sync in post though.

I would say that in a run and gun situation where you're not just recording dialogue, the H1 would do you fine. If you can handle the extra heft though, the H4n sounds better and gives you more flexibility.

All this is further complicated by the release of the S
Zoom H6 lol! But hopefully that just means H4n recorders will be had at a discounted price soon.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

matthijsliethof

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 6:08 pm

From what I have read and heard your best of with a Roland r26 since that has better preamps.

Me though I have a zoom h1, and am going to get a juicedlink rm222 preamp with an ntg 2 rode Mic.

Which should work perfectly.

Sent from my Android Phone

Stefan Longin

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 pm

I posted this already some time ago:

I had the NTG-2 and the H4n and I sold both. I tried to work with a boom to capture sound for a testimonial statement with this combination and I was really dissapointed. In one meter distance (max 1.5) and I had to push recording levels nearly up to max and the result was still low. I could save this take by pushing the levels in Audition and cover the upcoming noise with overlay of atmosphere sound.

After some reasearch I found out I was not alone. Forums in the past 18 months only are full of complaints about this combination. H4n seems to have a cheap PreAmp and NTG-2 low recording level (15mV/Pa) too. For the price NTG-2 is a good-sounding mic but it is not sensitive and it needs to be very very close to the subject. H4n has good-sounding on-board mics but pre-amps are miserable for external mics.

I went for the Roland R-26 and a Sennheiser ME66/K6 (50 mV/Pa) and I am very happy with this combo and each of them too. Sennheiser costs more than twice but its way better than the RødeNTG-2 and worth the money. If you have phantom power and don't need battery power you could also go for the MXL FR-300 Price is quite the same or even cheaper as NTG-2 but I sound and sensitivity (45mV/Pa) is much better.

hope that helps
S. Long

Return to Cinematography