Pocket cam HDMI issues.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tim Joy

Pocket cam HDMI issues.

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm

For my application, I need to convert HDMI to composite video for use on an RC heli.

I have tried a few converters that work on all my other cameras, but the pocket cam will not display at first. When I "prime" the converter with a working signal, then plug the pocket cam in, the picture is greatly cutoff and squeezed. I mean that I see about 1/4 of the image.
I have tried two different cables. I have tried different displays.
The camera will display *close* to correctly plugged directly into a TV, but the status display is cutoff at the edges.
Any Ideas what could cause this or fix this?
This could be a really popular camera for aerial shooting, but not being able to get an image down to the ground makes it a no-go.

Here's one of the converters I tried, and has worked with other cameras for the last year. http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Universal- ... +converter

Here's the first test on the copter flying blind-

Tim Joy

Re: Pocket cam HDMI issues.

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am

I think I found the problem.

I found an hdmi converter that works, and it says the input is 1080P 50, so it seems like a PAL signal is coming from the camera.

Is there any way to switch it to NTSC???

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 am

On the BMCC SDI output, "If you have selected to record in 25 fps or 29.97 fps on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, and set the SDI overlays to Off, the SDI output will be set to 1080i50 and 1080i59.94 respectively. This allows you to work with most switchers, which only support interlaced high definition formats."

I assume,this alsp applies to the BMPCC (pocket) HDMI output. So to get "NTSC" 59.94 (60), set the camera to 29.97. I use this setting on my camera, and the Zacuto EVF shows 1080i59.94/60 output on the HDMI. For monitoring on a remote viewfinder on helo, if the monitor supports the output, you can use either one. The camera is still recording at the frame rate set in the menu.

There is no PAL or NTSC in digital Cinema, as these standards apply to TV Broadcast systems from the analog days. BMD set the outputs so,the Cinema camera can be used with a broadcast switchers, which require the sync setting.

By the way, NTSC stands for, "Never The Same Color" twice!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Joy

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks. I didn't try 29.97, because I most often use 23.98, which should have the same hdmi output as 29.97.... You would think, yeah?
But apparently it doesn't. Is this a bug?

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Do not think so, this is setup to allow interface with both PAL (50) and NTSC (59.97) video switchers according to BM specs.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography