Dropped frames on bmpcc

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

trulyhung

Dropped frames on bmpcc

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 am

I'm using a brand new Delkin Devices sd card that has 41MB/S read and 80MB/S write. This card shouldn't be too slow right? Could it be my camera? I.e when I'm panning or moving the camera quickly, looks like there's dropped frames, it would basically stutter for a minute before continuing playback. Any ideas as to what's causing that?

Rob Foulkes

Re: Dropped frames on bmpcc

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 am

I haven't received my own BMPCC yet, but it sounds like your SD card is too slow. BMD suggest Sandisc Extreme Pro cards, and apparently the Sony high speed cards work fine too.

Suggest you try these before suspecting a duff camera. (The Sony cards are better value for money)

Rob

leepatterson

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I suspect it is the card. I use The Sony 94mb/s 64gb card and the Sandisc Extreme on my Pocket Cam with no issue. You might be able to use the San Disc Extreme class10 45mb/s but that is possibly the lowest you can go:)

scratch that, it just displays No SD with the 45mb/s:(
Last edited by leepatterson on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm

trulyhung wrote:I'm using a brand new Delkin Devices sd card that has 41MB/S read and 80MB/S write.

Are your sure about those specs? Seems odd to me, that the card would write almost twice as fast as it reads! Probably the card was falsely advertised. Also consider that not all cards reach their top speed in all card readers/writers, so it's thinkable that some cards don't perform well in the Pocket CC.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 5:13 pm

I have been using the SanDisk 64mb/45mbs cards, formatted HFS+, works just fine in ProRes.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

trulyhung

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 6:00 pm

The sony card works? Looks like 95MB/S read and 45MB/S write. Has anyone else had good experiences with that card?

Return to Cinematography