Lens compatibility

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adnan Umer

Lens compatibility

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi, I recently purchased the BMCC with the MFT mount. I'm a canon shooter and possess a few EF and EFS lenses. I am also thinking about getting the Bower 7.5 f3.5 fisheye to have a wide angle and a different perspective. I went with the MFT mount because it seemed more adaptable to different lenses with adapters in a long run. I have a couple Panasonic MFT lenses but they are not working with the camera.

Does anyone have the EF or EFS glass and things that I need to know to get the most out of this camera? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Manu Gil

Re: Lens compatibility

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for cheaper solutions and hopefully some other company makes them.

goodluckdesigns

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 am

eddiekhan wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for cheaper solutions and hopefully some other company makes them.

you can find much cheaper solutions then what he offered, which was not even really what you asked.

RAINBOWIMAGING Canon EOS EF Lens to Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter (search this on amazon)

&

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF to Micro Four Thirds Cameras (again on amazon)

cheers!
Good Luck Designs

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks to everyone. After taking the plunge and buying the bmcc I'm trying not to spend much on add ons for now. For an indie filmmaker its hard to keep up with the quality that's out there. I have ordered one of these and I think there will be no aperture or IS control with these. I prefer the manual focusing for video anyways, so hopefully I can live with that.

Manu Gil

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 am

eddiekhan wrote:Thanks to everyone. After taking the plunge and buying the bmcc I'm trying not to spend much on add ons for now. For an indie filmmaker its hard to keep up with the quality that's out there. I have ordered one of these and I think there will be no aperture or IS control with these. I prefer the manual focusing for video anyways, so hopefully I can live with that.

You can change aperture in Canon camera. And after put lenses on blackmagic camera.

adamroberts

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:32 am

If you are a Canon shooter with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and limited budget to purchase additional kit and lenses why did you but the MFT version of the camera?

The problem with these cheap Canon EF to MFT adaptors is that they can't control the electronic aperture in the Canon mount lenses.

Some are simply mount adaptors which are fine if you have a manual Canon mount lens and others have an aperture built into the mount which works to a degree.

It's not a great solution tho as the aperture in the adaptor is in the wrong part of the light path for that lens design. So you end up with chromatic aberration and other light distortion effects. So you in effect degrade the image quality.

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

I guess I got lost in the online reviews saying that the MFT mount is more adaptable to different lenses, even the EF. Do you know how well does the redrock adapter works?

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I understand the redrock adaptor actually powers the EF so it uses its own aperture ring as apposed to these other adaptors.

Manu Gil

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm

eddiekhan wrote:I guess I got lost in the online reviews saying that the MFT mount is more adaptable to different lenses, even the EF. Do you know how well does the redrock adapter works?

Only change F aperture. Stabilizattion dont work.

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 pm

The top reviewers said that the lens does not use the entire sensor hence, the corners are not sharp enough if you're using EF or full frame glass. I hope I can find the work around with these adapters or the redrock .

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:42 pm

If you bought a MFT camera already why not look into the very affordable rokinon/samyang cine lenses?
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Adnan Umer

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks Adrian, I was looking into Bower/Rokinon 8mm fisheye for the establishing shots to get the wide side covered. The price is less than $300 and if you have any other suggestions to cover the tele and the midrange around 35 to 100mm(35mm eq.) ?

Return to Cinematography