Stabilize in post bmpc 4k Footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Aristotelis Papakonstantinou

Stabilize in post bmpc 4k Footage

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi guys. I believe one of the key advantages of working with 4K footage and GLOBAL shutter is the possibility to stabilise in Post production. if i am thinking properly the ability to stabilise these shots are stunning even for the most shake shots without losing resolution and without jello effect. I would like your opinion about this. Are you believe that even handheld footage can look like steadycam shots using something like adobes warp stabiliser?

Mac Jaeger

Re: Stabilize in post bmpc 4k Footage

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 pm

pulala_8 wrote:Are you believe that even handheld footage can look like steadycam shots using something like adobes warp stabiliser?

No. Problem is: post-production stabilizers can only correct image position and orientation, but they can't compensate for motion blur. You'd need to shoot at small shutter angles (or higher framerates...) to minimize motion blur, otherwise your deshaked footage will fade out of focus every time the camera moved. It's the same difference as between optical and electronic IS: only optical IS can avoid the global motion blur.

Return to Cinematography