From a BMCC to a BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robreed

From a BMCC to a BMPCC

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:47 pm

I stepped up from a Canon 550 and bought the BMCC.
After getting over the shock of the flat image it shot, and finally colour grading the footage.I was blown away.
STUNNING.
BUT, the size of the thing was a real put off. Its like something out of a Sci Fi film. You couldn't use it subtly or
in a documentary style shooting. Its just so BIG. I also hatted the display, useless in DAY,the fixed battery also meant adding to the bulk. SO I sent it back.....and bought the BMPCC.
The problem is that Ive been spoilt by the BMCC.
I also could use all my Canon lenses on the BMPCC EF. So now I have a cheap EF-MFT adaptor $50.
The image so far is not blowing me away. Also the crop factor is tough to swallow. Its really hard to get any width to the shots with any of my lenses. Canon 50mm, 17-55 and a 28mm......everything is in your face.

Ive seen some great stuff done on the BMPCC.....so is the cheap adaptor to blame?, will spending $1000 dollars on a MFT 1.4 or 1.2 lens SLR Magic,etc....give me the same images that I had from the BMCC EF...
Also picking ONE lens to get me going is tough,I know that one lens will not do everything.
BUT what would be a Desert Island ONE lens only BE>?????

Any thoughts appreciated by a NEWBIE, so go gentle.!!!

Denny Smith

Re: From a BMCC to a BMPCC

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:16 pm

You could try a SLR Magic T1.4 or Olympus 12mm 2.0'lens. Mthismwould give you a moderate wide equiv. of 35mm on full frame camera. The "crop factor" is using only the center of Cannon lens image circle.

Adjusting your thinking to S16 terms, a 17mm lens is "normal" (50mm on full frame 35mm camera);
8-12mm takes you to wide angles; 20-30mm gives you a "long" portrait type shot; 45mm equals the standard full frame 35mm camera's 135mm classic "short" telephoto. 48-80mm is "mid Tele" and 135mm and on is "long" tele lens. Ultra wides are rarely used in "film movie" shooting, and most Super16 shooters used 8-12mm wides for "establishment" shots, going to longer lenses for med. and close up shots. You do not want to put a "movie/video camera in your talent/subject's face, you want to keep a reasonable distance back. Only exception would be for some "special low angle or handheld shots of action scenes.

So consider either of the two 12mm lenses, both fairly compact, for a "wide lens". Also the Panay/Leica DG lenses (25mm/45mm) are both excellent MFT lenses, with little distortation, an issue with many of the MFT "compact" lenses. The 45 has OIS, which works with the pocket camera. The three would give you a basic prime kit.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jon Braeley

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 pm

I have the Panny-Leica 12-35mm F2.8 for the MFT... superb lens. I also have the 25mm F.1.4.

Both good lenses for the Pocket.

No one camera does everything and the Pocket camera for me, is a second camera - one that I can have with me all the time.

Not sure why you think docs cannot be shot on a camera unless it is small... I've been shooting docs for 16 years now and mostly on cameras much larger than the BMCC.
Empty Mind Films: http://emptymindfilms.com

robreed

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks guys,
So are you saying that the EF-MTF adaptor is causing a degradation of image quality ?
or the Canon lenses, cos they are not true MFT lenses?
Would a true MFT lens make a big difference ....???

Re the size issue, it was also that all the gear I had, like glide track, and a mini-steady cam wouldn't take the considerable weight of the BMCC.
Also out and about, it seems easier to carry extra batteries and sd cards for the BMPCC.

BUT in the end I want the picture quality.
I hope I didnt bail out on the BMCC too early. Now I dont want to drop any more money going the MFT route with the BMPCC if it isnt going to deliver the picture quality is saw with the BMCC.
Tough one......

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:51 pm

How were you shooting with the BMCC, ProRes or raw? Image quality in ProRes is close, raw not out yet for Pocket cam. Also, "cheep" adapters do cause issues, mostly in not having correct flange distance. If you want to use your Canon glass, consider the Metabones adapter or Novaflex. Both are excellent.

So with a "good" adapter you can use the Canon glass. I use a Novaflex adapter for my Nikon lenses on the Pocket, works great.

Going to MFT lenses, will keep size and weight down, which is why you said you got the Pocket.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JerryBruck

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 pm

As far as the crop factor issues of your migration, there is good news -- ie, the Metabones Speedbooster EF-MFT reverse teleconverter which will more than make up for the narrowing of your wides -- and bad: no ETA from the manufacturer. To the x2.8 crop factor of the Pocket Cam I think it is, the Speedbooster will add a .71 multiplier, so your net will will near 2.0, better than the 2.3 of the BMCC. The adopter is active so the electrical contacts should work (aperture control, IS, maybe metadata) but you should check again for your particular lenses. Lenses characteristics such as bokeh are reported to be entirely unaffected. Sharpness increases to the point where some shooters recommend softening filters. Lens speed increases by a full stop. $400.

Updates (presumably) are hidden away here:
http://www.metabones.com/sony/questions

The engineering behind it is described here:
http://www.metabones.com/images/metabon ... 0Paper.pdf

Among the designers' recent credits is a set of 12 high-speed primes for Panavision's new 70mm digital cam, so there are grounds for optimism. The writer of EOSHD.com reviews it enthusiastically on his site somewhere.

robreed

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:16 am

I have to say that the power connection is very fragile>>>
I have a external battery, and the charger. The tip going into the power hole on the side of the BMPCC is fragile
because its soooooo thin.
I have already bent one of the external battery connectors with a slight accidental brush against it.
Also the HDMI connection is fragile. I had planned to buy the Hyper deck to record via HDMI, I'm not sure.
It would have to be all locked off and tied down.
I know its a price you pay for such a small footprint of the BMPCC.
On the fence with it all at the moment with both cameras.
Loving the Blackmagic picture quality though.!!!!!

JerryBruck

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

@Robreed -- important and troubling points that you raise. The HDMI thing sure wasn't designed for active use -- I use an external monitor on an dslr (for stills) with a full =>mini cable and both ends require care and attention or else! Especially the smaller camera socket. So here comes micro. Let's hope someone is designing a locking/protective accessory; it would have to accommodate all five ports, they're so close together.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 4:02 pm

The "Wooden Camera" Pocket Cage has that option, with five small tapped holes next to each port, and a "cable minder" that attaches to the ones in use. Only down side is each cable minder bracket is $60.
(http://woodencamera.com/Blackmagic/Util ... Clamp.html)

I have the cage, and plan to get one cable clamp for the micro hdmi connector to start.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

robreed

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks guys....
Can I check something.....

When switching on the BMPCC you get a short white flash and then the ready button, to black screen.
Also when switching from PLAYBACK to camera view you get the same white flash and then blackscreen.
And on reverse you get the same white flash and then black screen, followed by IMAGE of what has been filmed.
Thanks guys.

JerryBruck

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 pm

@Denny Thanks for this info. But besides $60 x(n), that Wooden cage sells for $400 -- all this just to start tricking out a $1k cam. The description from your link is so minimal, entirely without numbers, that I can't visualize just how the clamp could be mounted from other cages, such as the one I own.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Jerry, that is the price for the rig. You can get the cage only for $99.00, which is why I think $60 for the cable clampis a bit high, but it works. So cage and clamp is $160.00. I already have a rod mount, and the cage has a 3/8 tripod mount on the bottom that my existing quick release plate attaches to. Cage also makes a nice palm rest. I am thinking of making a side handle for it too.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JerryBruck

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks more.

Return to Cinematography