BMCC recording formats clarification

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kando

BMCC recording formats clarification

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Dear BMCC crew. I have a following questions regarding the recording formats of BMCC. My knowledge is limited to only DSLR h.264 format. so as I understood only CinemaDNG format is a RAW, and ProRes and DNxHD are not recorded as RAW and will not allow further beauty of RAW grading??

John Brawley

Re: BMCC recording formats clarification

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Kando wrote:Dear BMCC crew. I have a following questions regarding the recording formats of BMCC. My knowledge is limited to only DSLR h.264 format. so as I understood only CinemaDNG format is a RAW, and ProRes and DNxHD are not recorded as RAW and will not allow further beauty of RAW grading??

All the BMCC formats are a LOT more gradeable than what you're used to with h.264.

ProRes and DNx give you a slight amount of compression but are still a whole lot better than dSLR h.264 codecs because you've got 10 bit instead of 8 bit files, better colour subsampling and far LESS compression so you won't run into the limitations of the codec as quickly.

RAW offers 12 bit images and ZERO compression for the ultimate in image quality.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Lorka

Re: BMCC recording formats clarification

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Kando, best thing is to install Resolve, get some of John's sample footage and try it for yourself. If you're used to grading DSLR H264 it won't take you long to appreciate the difference with RAW.

Return to Cinematography