New Studio Setup Help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mz.tahmass

New Studio Setup Help

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 5:26 am

So I've got a maximum budget of $20,000. I'm looking to do a complete upgrade of our existing studio setup we have as it is getting outdated. I was looking at the TriCaster because it's such an easy solution however after doing some more research, you clearly get more for your money with Blackmagic.

This is a list of the features that are required:
4 inputs (minimum)
Chroma Keying Capability
Media Playing functionality for all the different video clips that are played through the programs
An HD live streaming solution

Preferably with the 4k setup (BM Production Camera & 4k Switcher)
So basically, If I gave you $20,000 cash, what Blackmagic (and non-blackmagic) products would you use to set this all up. Of course the basics are already included, monitors, cables, etc. Also included is a 15in MBP retina

Kane Peterson

Re: New Studio Setup Help

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Curious what TriCaster solution are you looking at?

While ATEM can be cheaper, I really like how much the TriCaster can do and is all integrated. Just one (BIG) example, you can find message after message about people wanting automated clip playback, the BMD + HyperDeck solution is all manual. Not to mention that it doesn't support alpha channel playback, unless you want to put two Hyperdecks together, and get those to playback in sync!

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm

i don't think the hyperdecks are quite there yet for general vtr replacement. for starters, you have to format the drive in a computer before you can record, and there is no way to erase clips in the machine to free up more recording space (remove, insert in computer, erase, return to machine-seriously?!?). maybe look at the Ki Pro as a recorder/player, I know I am right now.

the switcher is great, but we have an unresolved problem of the inputs occasionally getting out of sync and not being usable (another thread on here somewhere about that). i have one client that won't let me use the ATEM anymore until that gets fixed. still waiting BM...its going to cost you a switcher sale as we need another as well soon.

so far the routing systems (micro and compact video hubs) have performed flawlessly. nice stuff here. we also have a lot of the smart view monitors, all three models. really good pictures for the money, but not perfect. being native SDI inputs is excellent, would love to see more competition that offered this at this money level.

i like BM's stuff a lot and there is considerable bang for the buck. but i come from network broadcast and expect things to work, and unfortunately their bar isn't that high. if you can live with issues like this their stuff is indeed great.

happy shopping!!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

James R Carder

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 pm

You might want to look at Livestream products which are built using Blackmagic Design cards
http://store.livestream.com/pages/lives ... re#content

jamesvandyke

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 7:55 pm

For additional playback options, I've heard several people using ProPresenter and CasperCG.
James VanDyke
Dallas, TX

Wpsdude

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I'd like to know what config you're trying to use with a 4K BM camera in a studio. You're already going to have issues with this because it will never do what a triCaster can. $20K is camera money certainly not switcher and camera money. Sure you could do it on the cheap with a JVC GYHM600U $4,400.00 and a TriCaster 410 $9,995.00 and you've got some left over. Or you could go with the HM750 or 790 and you'd be at $20K.

ATEM people is old Echolab controllers with a small brain the BM created. There are no virtual sets, TriCasters can play any kind of media now in the DDR's and Graphics, Still channels. You get 1M/E standard, but BM is making you pay for it in the new version that isn't even out yet.

Thomas Beck

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Tricasters are fine products. However, the budget at my little public/government access channel was so limited that getting one just didnt make good financial sense. My budget the last two years combined has been about 20k. Here is what we got:

2 sony evi h100s ptz cameras and a remote to control them
2 canon xa 10 cameras
1 panasonic hmr10 (works fine for our needs, quite happy with it)
1 atem m/e1 for use in the studio
1 atem televsion studio for the field
1 behringer ultracurve
2 laptops
Assorted cables, connectors, hdmi to sdi and visa versa converters, etc
Adobe photoshop
mxlight

These products have revolutionized how our little station can approach in house and field productions. Would I like virtual sets, sure. Do I need one day in and day out. Not at all. We have even had success thinking outside the box. We will be in the field with tvs and mxlight. We stream out a video on ustream, bring it up on a laptop back at the studio run it through the me1 and out through the cable system. Poor mans live remote! Ill agree with those above in getting the best you can afford. That said sometimes less is more.

Kane Peterson

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 6:46 pm

You have to do what you can afford. But the original message was talking about how the decision was easy because the ATEM does more. While I'll bit the first to agree the ATEM is cheaper, there is no way it does more. Either that guy didn't look enough into what a TriCaster can do or he got a really bad demo of one.

James Hope

PostTue Oct 15, 2013 4:13 am

Trib wrote:You have to do what you can afford. But the original message was talking about how the decision was easy because the ATEM does more. While I'll bit the first to agree the ATEM is cheaper, there is no way it does more. Either that guy didn't look enough into what a TriCaster can do or he got a really bad demo of one.

I agree. I had to work on a flight kit recently for a similar budget (we already had cameras though, JVC GY-HM790s). I looked at products from BMD, Ross Video, and NewTek. I found that the TriCaster 455 did more than what we needed, for less than I had to pay to make the BMD stuff work as seamlessly and automatically (i.e. automatically play DDRs when switched to without glue hardware, and built in CG that doesn't need an additional PC with Photoshop). The 455 can also record four streams at once, such as main program and 3 iso.

Now the TriCaster 460 is a 4 M/E mixer (up from 1 M/E on the 455). We were lucky enough to buy our 455 just before the 460 was announced so got a free upgrade (same hardware). I'm very impressed with what it can do with the price.

BTW, I don't intend to recommend a competitor's product on this forum, but I felt I needed to correct some misinformation.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Return to Live Production