Canon 5D with Ninja vs BMPCC

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

MattLEO

Canon 5D with Ninja vs BMPCC

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Good evening everyone -

My BMCC just arrived and I am as happy as a hooker at a shiners convention! Been shooting with friends for the last 6 weeks and OMG! Love it! This aint your grandmothers 8mm camera!

I have a big job coming up and I am in need of a back up camera. I currently own a 5D Markii that I love and have rigged out. I was thinking of purchasing the BM Pocket Cinema Camera 1. because I want one, 2. because its so small I can really do some gorilla cinema with it to capture B roll footage and 3. because I want one like a kid that wanted the new GI Joe with Kung Fu Grip on Christmas (most of you are probably too young to remember that) - oh and did I mention that I want one?

I was on the set today shooting a music video and a guy had a sweet set up using his 5D with the Ninja 2. Recording directly into the Ninja - I was like, WOW! Never thought of that one - duh!

What are your thoughts on getting the Ninja 2 and using it with my 5D instead of purchasing the Pocket Camera? And whats the deal with people sending them back to be re-calibrated? I will need something that is reliable and will compliment the BMCC footage. I am about to shoot out of the country for a month and need something I wont have to worry about failing on me. Not to mention I will have to purchase around 5 or 6 extra batteries.

Thanks for the time you took to read and respond. Loving this camera - its an early Christmas for me!

Matt'LEO

Robert RED

Re: Canon 5D with Ninja vs BMPCC

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm

ATTENTION READ THIS

Mr. Rivera said:

"If I've missed a post in regards to other products that conflict with ours(and granted I've been here for about 2 months now so it is possible), those would be asked to be removed or if I was trying to have a hardline stance, just delete them. Seeing as I haven't done that with this thread and I sent you a PM to ask that you not post this type of stuff, I would think out of common courtesy, you would understand that is what we ask and for the simple fact that in the registration notes you agreed to it states:

"You agree that the Blackmagic Forum is for the discussion of Blackmagic Design products. Discussions regarding other vendor’s products that are not part of a general discussion including Blackmagic Design products are not allowed and should be brought to other, more general industry forums. This will help ensure the forum and discussions cannot be hijacked by product vs product conflict."

I'm here to manage the forums and make things easier for users to find help with Blackmagic Design products, not with other companies products. Simple as that."
Every Day is a drop of Life
Email: red@robertred.ch
Facebook: facebook.com/followRobertRED
Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/robertred
BMDCC Channel: Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/bmdcc

Christian Schmeer

Re: Canon 5D with Ninja vs BMPCC

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Was he using it with a 5D Mark II or Mark III? As far as I know only the Mark III has clean HDMI output. The signal coming out of the Mark III is uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2, but it's still 8-bit. The BMPCC records ProRes HQ 4:2:2 at 10 bit.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Return to Off-Topic