Newbie needs help :)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

reelediting

Newbie needs help :)

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 pm

I run a website myarmtv.com up until now for the last ten years we have only posted edited videos after the event. I run small budget operation but am now ready to make an investment in a switcher. Am seeing soo many options out there and have made a few phone calls to some resellers but everyone seems to say exactly what I want to hear so I am not sure if I am being sold or told it straight.

armwrestling event

3-5 cameras

I will be mobile, once a month have to board a flight to some part of the country.

audio was a concern, would like to have the tables mic'd up, maybe competitors and announcers

would like to do the switching in computer to avoid needing additional equipt.

(would have liked slo mo capabilites but on the lower cost models I don't see that option

and ofcourse ability to add graphics/ lower thirds/ ect

all of this while at the same time being left with a small budget leftover for cameras so I was wondering what the lowest cost camera I could get away with (looking at something in the canon vixia range. Easy to transport multiple and cost is effective.

Could someone point me into the right direction?

I was hoping to keep my costs between switcher/ and cameras below 3000

Sincerely,

Thanks

Gary

reelediting

Re: Newbie needs help :)

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm

the canon vixia rf 30 is 200. could I get five of these and connect through hdmi. the distance between switchers and cameras no more than 30 feet. is this too far for hdmi? (I also recognize I would need a sdi converter)

reelediting

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 5:05 am

anyone?

I was told this forum was helpful. :/

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 5:10 am

Welcome. Sorry we have not lived up to your expectations.

You are asking for pretty big wish list there for $3000. I don't have anything to suggest in that budget range and therefore I chose not to attempt an answer.

Good luck.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

jamesvandyke

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I agree with Liam, trying to do all this for under $3,000 isn't realistic.

I'd scale back your plan. Consider a one or two camera shoot and use Wirecast from Telestream as your switcher and streaming encoder. Wirecast will let you do graphics.

You'll have to buy a capture card like one of the Blackmagic DeckLink cards to get the video signal into the computer. If you could place webcams on the tables you'd have a fixed shot but you might be able to bypass the need for a capture card.

For audio, I'd get a small mixer that you can connect to your computer via USB. Wirecast will let you bring that audio into the computer.

Instant replays are in a whole different category of dollars and equipment. I'd give up on that until your ready to invest more.
James VanDyke
Dallas, TX

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 pm

You don't get it / all for this price.

But just a try:

4 x small and chhep HD camera like Panasonic HC-V100 -> $ 1000,-
4 x HDMI to SDI converter (HDMI only work up to 5m with ATEM) -> $ 500,-
2 x HDMI Monitors -> $ 300,-
1 x small PC for controling ATEM -> $ 300,-
1 x analog to digital audio converter (no AES, but SPDIF - works) -> $ 50,-
1 x small audio mixer like something from Behringer -> $ 100,-
2 x microphone (no name) -> $ 100,-
4 x tripods -> $ 400,-
2 x microphone stands -> $ 50,-
cables, headphones -> $ 200,-

total $ 3000,-

But
without graphics, streaming PC, intercom, rack, slowmotion ....

graphics and slomotion maybe can made with casparCG, but a useful PC for that cost about $ 1000, - 1500
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kane Peterson

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Not sure on a few of those prices.

4x HDMI to SDI converters for $500? BlackMagic ones are $280 a piece on BH, so that is over $1000 right there.

Not trying to pick everything apart, but also looking to be realistic.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Thomas.

You missed the one thing that must be included in the setup. An Atem switcher. So with a Tvs youre well over budget at 4000 dollars.

Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Ali Ghazizadeh

PostWed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:You don't get it / all for this price.

4 x HDMI to SDI converter (HDMI only work up to 5m with ATEM) -> $ 500,-

Thomas,
i'm running ATEM with 20m HDMI Cable,
it's depend on camera power output and quality of cable,also i have 30m cable that is working fine,
if you camera power output on HDMI is not good you can use HDMI power Booster .
ATEM 1 M/E,Smart Video Hub,full Set of OpenGear,AnalogtoSDI mini,hdmitoSDI mini,
HyperDeck Studio,H.264 Pro,DecklinkExtrem+,DecklinkStudio,Decklink 4K,decklink mini mointor,decklink mini recorder,Tranex 2D,smart Scope Duo,SmartView HD

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:03 am

4x HDMI to SDI converters for $500? BlackMagic ones are $280 a piece on BH, so that is over $1000 right there.

Trib, Blackmagic is not the one and only seller of HDMI to SDI converters ;-)

i'm running ATEM with 20m HDMI Cable,
it's depend on camera power output and quality of cable,also i have 30m cable that is working fine,
if you camera power output on HDMI is not good you can use HDMI power Booster .

So you have luck. My low cost Panasonics can't drive a HDMI signal for such a distance, also with booster. I tried diffrent booster an different cables....

You missed the one thing that must be included in the setup. An Atem switcher. So with a Tvs youre well over budget at 4000 dollars.
Hatl, you are right....

So the wanted setup for $ 3000,- is really impossible. Maybe when starting with 2 cameras and without any tripods and with less audio (which wouldn't be "very professional")
Last edited by Thomas Seewald on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

reelediting

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 pm

thank you for all of the great posts. if I am able to come up with a few more thousand would that change what switcher you got?

My entire vision rests on doing more than two cameras so I am willing to make the investment into the right switcher first.

so my vision once complete wouldn't change. the constant would stay the same so I want to make sure that the switcher I do get is no more than i need and no less than I need.

so given I could come up with a few more $$ would the type of switcher you recommend change with my plan.

thanks

Ali Ghazizadeh

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 12:15 am

if you can wait,i think ATEM 4k 1m/e is good option you will get 10 SDI input,you can have External Fill/key input and have 8 more input left to do what ever you want to do,
ATEM 1 M/E,Smart Video Hub,full Set of OpenGear,AnalogtoSDI mini,hdmitoSDI mini,
HyperDeck Studio,H.264 Pro,DecklinkExtrem+,DecklinkStudio,Decklink 4K,decklink mini mointor,decklink mini recorder,Tranex 2D,smart Scope Duo,SmartView HD

RobAshard

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 am

The best software solution or this would be Vmix at http://www.vmix.com.au. PC only I'm afraid. That can do slomo replays. Have a look at the in-depth demo video on their site. The slo-mo replay is at 15m 40sec in. There's also a Studio Tech Live webcast where they talk to the software designer. Seems like Wirecast on steroids for less money. There's a free 30 day trial so you can see if it does what you want.
Obviously you need to get your HDMI cameras and convert them to SDI and then in via something like a Blackmagic decklink Quad. You might just manage this if you already have a desktop pc that's up to the job and can do it with three cameras. Doing the sound properly will be tricky, certainly within the budget.
Rob.

Kane Peterson

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 am

Trib, Blackmagic is not the one and only seller of HDMI to SDI

I know, but I doubt you will find cheaper than the BMD ones (while I personally like AJA converters more myself anyways).

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 am

He asked for small budget.

Here we go, a HDMI to SDI converter for $ 115,- (without scaling) - works with ATEM

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-to- ... 10175.html

reelediting

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 am

thanks guys. I got the ATEM tv studio with berrigher and a travel case rack for 1250 from avalive.com

just got it out of the box and doing a test with the camera that I currently have canon vixia hfs21 and The hdmi is being recognized but the video isn't showing up attached a screen shot

seem to have the settings set at 1080i on both the atem and the camera. the audio is showing up.

any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 6.51.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 6.51.03 PM.png (460.26 KiB) Viewed 14873 times

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 am

Always a "good approach" as far as starting to diagnose such a problem is to connect the camera direct to a monitor. Many monitors either automatically display the signal format in a pop-over when a new signal is received - or there is a button on the remote that will bring up this information (on several of my monitors the "info" button displays the video format). At least that way you can verify the basics of the output from your camera are as expected.

The other thing to consider/check is the HDMI cable. How long is it? Do you have another cable to try out?

reelediting

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 5:31 pm

god help me i hope this all comes together. finally have video to monitors. after having experimented i am thinking i may outgrow this quickly do to my desire to advance

everything is on short hdmi cables for now to test. waiting for hdmi cat5/6/7 extenders to arrive in the mail. i couldnt afford to go the hdmi to sdi just yet. i ordered one for 150 before i saw the link above. also waiting for sdi cable.

to save money for other components i found four jvc 1080 hdmi output at frys for 100 bucks
i already had a vixia hfs20 (about 1.5 years old that i paid 700 for then.

all cameras work on 16 hdmi length but 30 foot a no go.

next hurdle figuring out audio and graphics

and wondering if i can help announce the event and run the switcher.

am i biting off more than i can chew?

i am not even worried about trying to live output saturday. i want to do a dry run and record the h264 from usb2

i will post the vid after weekend.

i know i am all over the place here but if i am expecting 25 armwrestlers to be at this event. i wont know their names until an hour prior....if i want thier names in lower thirds i would have to create those on the fly before it starts or is it possible during broadcast to create? still getting the handle on the software switcher and how it will be when we are live.

reelediting

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 pm

ouch I just re read all that and it makes very little sense. I can not write on my phone.

I am posting a youtube sample in just a second to show you what I got.

so far money spent (and some wasted money)

1250 -Atem TVstudio with Behringer 2496
428- (4) JVC HD everio
70 - Behinger Kenyx802 audio mixer (two imput)
227- (3)x J-Tech Digital HDMI Extender by CAT 5E/6/7
176- HDMI converter (was 150 before shipping and tax)
60- 4 XLR audio cables
50- (7) short HDMI cables to go at each end of the cat5/6/7 extenders
50- 1 SDI cable
100/ extension cords/ misc/ and power outlet
30- (4) 30ft hdmi cables **********wasted money..useless :(

$2431 so far

wishing I had the slo mo option and maybe should have opted for the 4k. Needing a bunch of SDI converters is what killed that option.

equipt already in posession using macbook pro, yeti blue mic, canon vixia, and I have a t4i DSLR that I can't figure out if I can use at all :/

and a couple mic's, one cable, one wireless

video link to sample set up

thanks for the help. I feel like that is a life time of knowledge online and I have just been reading and reading and reading and at the same time getting into a time crunch. event is saturday.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 6:21 pm

If you are going to be recording from the H.264 output of the TVS - be sure to upgrade the firmware on the TVS to 4.1.2 (that is rumored to have a fix to an audio sync drift issue).

If you are going to be using Lower Thirds during the show... practice how to do that as soon as possible. If you have never done it before it is a little tricky. How are you planning on creating them? Hopefully you have Photoshop and you can use the plugin to transfer them direct to the switcher and have them placed into one of the two media players automatically?

Looks like your setup is coming along nicely. You didn't mention about audio on the Youtube video.. did you just not record it?

Don't even try to get the Canon T4i working with the setup. It won't give you a completely clean HDMI output - as the cameras letterbox the video out (it happens with most of the Canon DSLR's). Also... not sure if there is special firmware available for the T4i (Magic Lantern) to switch off the various info display stuff either). I have a Canon 60D... and it's pretty much useless to connect to my ATEM. The T4i will not be any better.

Reginald Richardson

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 8:19 pm

To reelediting,

Can you please provide me with the Model of the JVC Camera your puchased?
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

reelediting

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 2:13 am

@Liam

thank you, I have the latest firmware and ran it for over an hour recording
doing an audio test every 20 minutes. let it record continuously and had
zero audio drag. so it seems I am good to go.

as far as audio goes here is a youtube clip that was meant for my
web guy so forgive the language at the end

I am not sure what specific question you have but I am running
through the mixer first, 1 channel is an xlr input from my desk which is
a yeti pro, then I have another xlr channel for a 99 dollar mic I got from guitar city
audio tecnica pro 45 (this mic will catch the action on the table..trash talking)

then I have a wire less mic that I have imported into the 3rd channel for whoever
my guest is.

@flamboyant
It is JVC Everio GZ-HM45BU (99 bucks on sale fryes electronics)
I didn't add the battery or a memory card. I have them powered at their location
via the cable, went into settings turned on HDMI turned off auto power off
and removed display settings. these bad boys have had no problems and
I can not tell the quality difference from my vixia.

here is a link to it I think. price is a little different from in store.
http://www.frys.com/product/6549613?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

ALSO big time update…what turned out to be a waste of money for me
because they didn't work. The J tech HDMI extenders with a dual cat 6 cables
50 feet length…couldn't get nothing out of them.

turns out I go to radio shack and purchased the auvio hdmi extender for
20 bucks and the original 35 foot length hdmi cables that I thought were
a waste turned right on with no glitches …this was the original length
I was looking for.

so I am good to go.

If anyone is curious as to what we are filming. goto netflix and watch documentary
Pulling John.

We assisted with that production.

So I am returning the 227 J tech and adding 60 for the auvio extenders.

thanks guys, and I won't bother with t4i

regarding graphics, now that I have the basic set up and audio playing I am going to spend the next
couple days trying to figure it out. My web guy says he wants to try and live broadcast it so he is worry
about that. It is up to me and some photoshop action. wish me luck. I will play around with that for a
few days.

gary

reelediting

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 am

here is the audio mixer that I was most concerned about to be able to raise the audio of commentator interview over background armwrestling or vice versa.

I have the mic's imputed into here with the outs going to the xlr imputs of the behringer converter
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.21.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.21.41 PM.png (933.21 KiB) Viewed 14740 times

reelediting

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 2:30 am

the jvc. I have four and they all work. I love low budget
Attachments
20131016_191528.jpg
20131016_191528.jpg (734.34 KiB) Viewed 14739 times

reelediting

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 am

the hdmi extender from radio shack (blurry pic)
Attachments
20131016_191534.jpg
20131016_191534.jpg (688.42 KiB) Viewed 14739 times

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 am

How were you planning on Livestreaming?

I can't recall if you are using a PC or Mac?

If Mac then the only option to livestream from the TVS only (via it's H.264 over USB) is via Livestream.com where their encoder software supports the TVS directly.

If using a PC you can also use MXLight to stream to most anything.

reelediting

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 am

oh boy.. are we going to hit a snag here. my web guys says we are going to live broadcast it. so now looking into that. we were going to use a software that combines multiple internet connections and breaks up the data being send and recombines on their end and spits it out to a content distribution network.

so I am trying to figure out how to get that h.264 feed to go out. are you saying live stream is only option on a mac? I am running mac book pro. :/

the first company is switchboard by connectify

not sure what the cdn is but it wasn't live stream.

Gary

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 8:01 am

On a MAC with the TVS alone (no other capture device) your ONLY option is to use Livestream.com (that's what I said.. and it's true).

If you need to stream using something else on the MAC then you will absolutely have to use a different capture device. That does not sound like it would be an option - as your event is this weekend right?

Only other option is to get a PC and use the MXLight software.

Seems a little late in the game to figure all this out. But... good luck.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 11:22 pm

If you're using a box that breaks the Internet connection in to multiple feeds (a bunch of LTE modems for example), it is likely already a video box like a Teradek Cube with Bond or similar.

Generally speaking, you can't bond multiple carriers and have it work with video. That bonding works with things like web pages because it can split the TCP sessions between multiple streams. But that technique doesn't work for video that is one large TCP connection (as opposed to a web site that is a bunch of small TCP connections). The only way to bond video is to have a true video bonding device. And those almost always come with an SDI or HDMI input. If that is the case, you'll just send them either SDI or HDMI and that would be connected to the live streaming provider of your choice. No h.264 required as that is done by the video bonding device.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 pm

From what Gary was describing it sounded more like a data level bonding rather than at the video side of things. That's where the data is sent over multiple carriers to the same endpoint server and recombined there. Still a proprietary setup... But not necessarily going to handle the video side directly. I could be wrong..hopefully I am. If it is in fact something like what you described Ben that would be ideal.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Most data level bonding doesn't require a server and just crams a bunch of connections together. Then it splits your session between the connections. Pretty cheap and easy. Works great for websites, completely fails for video.

If there is a server in the middle that is actually setting up bonding, then it may work. That is pretty rare outside of the video industry.

I own and use a Teradek Cube, Bond and Sputnik (the server that combines it all together). I *always* prefer SDI as HDMI is the spawn child of satan. The Cube/Bond/Sputnik combo is freaking amazing! They even have a single product called the Bond II that has the Cube and Bond merged in to one product. Just spin up an Amazon EC2 instance with the free Sputnik software and you're up and running! Add few LTE modems from different carriers, maybe a hard wired connection and have it split the video in to pieces and re-assemble in the cloud.

Want to get hardcore crazy? You can take a Cube Decoder and link it to Sputnik too! Tell the decoder to grab the video from a Sputnik server, then you can place a Bond II anywhere on the planet that you have Internet access and the Cube Decoder can plug directly in to your ATEM switcher. BAM! Instant roaming news reporter at a fraction of the cost of a SNG or ENG truck!
Benjamin Higginbotham

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 am

Yep. Although Gary's description definitely was related to recombining at the server end. Which implies to me it is more than a simple data aggregation thing. We'll find out when he replies I guess.

Love the whole concept of the teradek stuff and the remote roving broadcast. Still pretty expensive though...and in the context of the original posters budget concerns...likely not something I would guess is being used here.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:32 am

Yeah, likely not here. Data may be useful to someone in the future though. Every webcast I do (less one) I use Teradek Cubes as the prime encoder for. Really great stuff they build at a reasonable price (compared to other products in their category).
Benjamin Higginbotham

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:40 am

Hey. It was useful to me in any case. Do you have off the top of your head how much those three components would cost? I think it needs to go on my "need to budget for this" list.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 am

Cube 105 (SDI without WiFi model) is $1,700
Cube 155 (SDI with WiFi and battery model) is $2,000

Bond is $2,500

Sputnik Server is free. If you want to host it on Amazon EC2 it is just the cost of the instance which I think is like $20 a month.

You can also get a Bond II which includes the Cube and Bond unit all in one... That is $4,000 and the unit I would suggest if you need it.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Scott Ryan

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 3:02 am

Plus the cost of LTE / 4G / 3G modems and service / bandwidth associated.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 am

Lte not required. You can also split up LAN connections.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Reginald Richardson

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 am

@reelediting

Have u got any production footage with the JVC camera's.
i have read the reviews all seems well and great,
Camera seems great to with the exception of no Mic Output..

please send me a link of production footage..

thanks
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

reelediting

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 am

Hey guys great stuff. I am going to refer leach to this thread so he can read that info. We ended up dumping the live because it was pausing every five seconds for five seconds and start again. That just isn't the quality I need. We used two T-Mobile Lte and 4G mobile hot spots to combine two ******* connects to an underwhelming 1. something mb upload.

We decided to focus our energies on doing the production right. Here is a sample clip (which are all the JVC cameras. I went with a 4 camera set up opting to use my mac as an thunderbolt import to try and get some videos but it just didn't work as planned.

Things that went well.

1. although I am not quite sure I felt we got the audio balanced out as I would like. I see potential for future productions.

2. on this forum I read about using a usb external numbers pad to switch. This proved invaluable as my partner said it made a huge difference. If we were using the mouse or regular keyboard we wouldn't have been as efficient with the switches

3. cameras_ for what we want to do. live streaming and or rebroadcasting on our site. being a low budget op. This entire thing was possible only because I was able to use some low end cameras.

things I didn't like

1. not sure if we haven't figured out the equipt yet or what but we spent and entire 24 block (no sleep) trying to figure out how to get animated lower thirds and no dice. (we opted for some fade in boring graphic.) this really is a deal killer for this particular model. Someone give me hope here... or I am buying the next model that makes it possible and selling this one.

2. I really thought I was going to be able to play a snippet of video for my sponsor and the media pool says still images only supported. Uggghh another reason I may need a different model.

3. I WANT INSTANT REPLAY SLO MO. I knew I wasn't going to have that option but it is definitely on my list for my next investment. I am a little confused on all the different products that black magic has. What do I need to think about getting next.

other comments.

Live broadcasting is a straight pain in the ass. pheww this can kill a man trying to figure out all of the different tech stuff that goes into it. I understand the limitations regarding the breaking up data and recombining. It really is a language above my knowledge level but, Leach my partner, says the service we are using is sending those bits to a third party that is recombining them and it doesn't make a difference...so he says. but we ran into glitches...

we looked into livestream but at that point it was soo late and just decided to live to fight another day and figure out the production side of it.

been a rough few weeks mentally, glad it is over but I know that I am going to do it again. I will read over all the stuff you guys said about the combining stuff and see if I can get it.

Really the live broadcast is the ultimate goal, from my perspective at the moment streaming is so unpredictable and frustrating. Hoping our final solution whatever it maybe is dependable when it comes to a roaming video package. Our locations will never be the same...my ultimate question is finding a dependable solution affordable? atleast dependable enough to advertise to our customers and be able to deliver a solid product. Thanks everyone helping.

Gary

reelediting

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 am

@flamboyant (see link previous post) our switcher got the audio from the hdmi although we didn't use that for audio

reelediting

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 1:20 am

I can also see....wanting the option for 8 cameras :) although if I wanted to stay with lower end cameras I would have to get 7 more hdmi to sdi converters.

something to keep in mind as I am saving for next component or upgrade.

bottom line

I LOOOOOOOVED IT!!! (the ability to produce something cool but also affordable) armwrestlers have always dreamed of being on tv. And although we are just a little website... the fact that I can come close to giving them a 'real sports' treatment...on and affordable budget. Dream come true!

Scott Ryan

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 am

I've also struggled getting animated lower thirds. There's 2 ways you can do it.

The cleaner way is send 2 signals to your mixer. A key signal and a fill signal. This allows the mixer to combine them and give you that transparency behind the actual graphic. This way will give you the cleanest graphics, but again you will lose 2 channels on your mixer. Most people here will suggest using CasperCG, but it's Windows only and I had a hard time using it. One program I rely on heavily is ProPresenter. This program is really great. To do the above key/fill you have to buy the program itself plus the Alpha Key module. I haven't bought the Alpha key module yet, since I don't personally use this method. There's another way to get animated lower thirds I'll explain below.

The way I've used through ProPresenter is buying or finding a free lower thirds graphic you like on VideoHive.net or DigitalJuice.com, edit it and render it out to your liking and loading it into ProPresenter with a chroma green background. Now in your mixer you can use the chroma key (might under DVE) to key out the green and you have a transparent background for your animated lower third.

Reginald Richardson

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 am

@reelediting

Great quality from those camera's
will look at the next model up.
pitty these don't have a external mic output..

They seems very perfect for this kind of job..
however, sometimes i does have to do some solo shots,
just taking video, and not a live broadcast
VidMedia Solutions

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 am

Try to show the sportsman always from the same side. It's confusing to see someone first at the left,suddenly at the right an then on the left again.

For lower thirds and playback of videoclips: i don't have pro presenter. Maybe ist very easy to use.

But give CasparCG a try. the software itself is for free and has huge possibilities ! You can create a own client for comfortable control of lower thirds and videoplaybacks.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 pm

+1 for CasparCG as well. The animated lower thirds we use at SpaceX come from a CasparCG box as do the video roll ins. All in a free software package. It does take a bit to learn, but worth the time investment in my opinion.

You're not going to get a lot of animation capability out of any ATEM switcher, large or small. The media pools are just not large enough for this. You're also not going to get any video roll of real value, you'll need an external box like CasparCG or a Hyperdeck (or just a computer playing a video clip full screen if your budget is already too thin).

Live streaming will only be as good as your bandwidth. For constrained venues I use a Teradek Cube, Teradek Bond and Sputnik server to make it all work. But this is $4k (hyper cheap when compared to broadcast, but expensive in a startup environment). Even then, if you only have a measured 1Mbps of upload bandwidth, then you really want to keep the live stream itself under 500Kbps to ensure you never hit the bandwidth ceiling. That means you're quality will be down there in order to cram that much video data in to such a small pipe. The easiest way to get high quality streaming is to get a good Internet provider with a great *upload* speed (download speed is pretty irrelevant to you for a live stream perspective).

T-Mobile is great in some markets, but their LTE signal is on a very high frequency which makes it difficult to penetrate building walls. Try Verizon which is on a 700MHz band and can blow through a lot of buildings. It all depends on your region though, some providers are great in one area and suck in another. For me, I have two Verizon LTE modems, one AT&T modem, one T-Mobile modem and an Ethernet adapter all hooked to my Teradek Bond for those hard-to-do remote situations. Works well most of the time.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Richard Courtney

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm

reelediting wrote:bottom line

I LOOOOOOOVED IT!!! (the ability to produce something cool but also affordable) armwrestlers have always dreamed of being on tv. And although we are just a little website... the fact that I can come close to giving them a 'real sports' treatment...on and affordable budget. Dream come true!

Wait for the athlete's sponsors see their company logos. Win-Win situation.

Best Wishes.

illpicasso

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 pm

For streaming i always use Vidi U. We tried using other software encoders but constantly ran into dropped frames. On vidi U you just turn on adaptive streaming and no more paused videos. If you have to use a 4g modem instead of ethernet or wifi, I would only trust verizon 4glte.

Return to Live Production