Can the BMCC operate while AC is plugged in?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

borbafett

PostMon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

We don't have an extra $300 right now for a battery solution like Switronix. Our camera arrives in about a week, and we are wondering if it can operate while being charged/plugged in. I know some cameras will not function when they have AC running to them.

Marshall Harrington

Re: Can the BMCC operate while AC is plugged in?

PostMon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I believe that when it's plugged in it's only charging the battery inside the camera, so no real AC power. Kind of no different then when it runs off the battery.

So yes you can be charging the battery while in use.

I've been wondering if you can charge the larger battery while it's charging the camera battery and use the camera. I'm just doing it and nothing's broke so as they say, "if it ain't broke . . ."

Marcel Beck

PostMon May 06, 2013 10:20 pm

I've plugged in the AC plug when I did my 24hour time-lapse, works!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

borbafett

PostMon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm

thanks guys!

Darryl Gregory

PostMon May 06, 2013 11:09 pm

borbafett wrote:We don't have an extra $300 right now for a battery solution like Switronix. Our camera arrives in about a week, and we are wondering if it can operate while being charged/plugged in. I know some cameras will not function when they have AC running to them.

When you are ready to buy a battery solution...
Save a few hundred dollars and get a Swit 190WH battery,
then check eBay for the Lanparte V-Mount battery pinch,
Between the two you should save about $200 or more. SWIT Pro Video Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, V-Lock Mount, 190WH, it will last more than twice as long as the Switronix PB70, and the battery pinch is only about $125 depending on the ebayer, And Since Adorama or B&H are not going to offer a Bundle for the PB70 on the Blackmagic 4K Production camera like they did for the 2.5K Cinema camera this is a much better deal for cost and longer battery life anyway.

We really do need to keep these Online Camera Retailers in check!
As long as we know how and why they do what they do, We have choices, and deals to be had.

borbafett

PostTue May 07, 2013 1:30 am

You're the man Daryl, thanks!!

Darryl Gregory

PostTue May 07, 2013 3:25 am

borbafett wrote:You're the man Daryl, thanks!!

You are very welcome, If I can help just let me know, I'm here...Well until the bullies try to get rid of me 8-)
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostTue May 07, 2013 3:26 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Since Adorama or B&H are not going to offer a Bundle for the PB70 on the Blackmagic 4K Production camera like they did for the 2.5K Cinema camera this is a much better deal for cost and longer battery life anyway.

Darryl's advice may be the best for your budget. Initially Adorama wasn't including a bundle with the Switronix battery and charger but they do offer it now with the addition of the BMD handles. However because the handles must be included in that option, it exceeds your budget.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Darryl Gregory

PostTue May 07, 2013 3:32 am

rick.lang wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Since Adorama or B&H are not going to offer a Bundle for the PB70 on the Blackmagic 4K Production camera like they did for the 2.5K Cinema camera this is a much better deal for cost and longer battery life anyway.

Darryl's advice may be the best for your budget. Initially Adorama wasn't including a bundle with the Switronix battery and charger but they do offer it now with the addition of the BMD handles. However because the handles must be included in that option, it exceeds your budget.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not only is it "not a good deal at all", the handles are terrible, and if you did the math Rick, This is nowhere near the savings they have on the BMD EF Cinema camera and Switronix PB70, not even close.

Richard Martz

Current draw for the BMCCand BMPC

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Also I'm just wondering what the current draw is on a BMCC? The specifications on "current draw" are not readily stated in the manual. Since the camera will work on 12VDC-30VDC the current draw should be diffferent depending on what voltage you supply to the camera. But most external camera camera batteries are specified at 12VDC even though they might run closer to 14-15 VDC. SO...all that to say could someone at BMD tell us what the current draw is at 12VDC for BOTH the BMCC and the BMPC?
Richard Martz
MagicMartz Media
Brik Power Batteries
USA, Atlanta, GA
rmartz@magicmartz.com
www.magicmartz.com
770-598-6509

Aaron Scheiner

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

In the BMD FAQ for the BMPCC it says the power draw is 6.8w , which at 12V implies 0.57 amps.

From my previous calculations (which I'm too lazy to locate) a 70WH battery lasts about 4.5 hours on my BMCC, implying a power usage of approximately 16w (or 1.3A @12V) (naturally this will change depending on the lens used {IS}, screen brightness, SSD used, etc.) .

Nigel Smith

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:

I was told by a UK supplier that the Lanparte battery pinch did not come with a lead that fit the blackmagic power socket. Can you confirm how you got it to work please?
Thanks
Nigel

adamroberts

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 am

loopyfilms wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

I was told by a UK supplier that the Lanparte battery pinch did not come with a lead that fit the blackmagic power socket. Can you confirm how you got it to work please?
Thanks
Nigel

The cable is pretty cheap. You can even make one yourself if you buy the parts.

ProAV.co.uk stock the cable. So does cinegearpro.com

http://www.cinegearpro.com/cgpro-d-tap- ... r-403.html
£15 sorted
Last edited by adamroberts on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel Smith

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Great :)
Thanks for the link Adam

sean mclennan

Re: Current draw for the BMCCand BMPC

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 am

magicmartz wrote:Also I'm just wondering what the current draw is on a BMCC? The specifications on "current draw" are not readily stated in the manual. Since the camera will work on 12VDC-30VDC the current draw should be diffferent depending on what voltage you supply to the camera. But most external camera camera batteries are specified at 12VDC even though they might run closer to 14-15 VDC. SO...all that to say could someone at BMD tell us what the current draw is at 12VDC for BOTH the BMCC and the BMPC?

Current draw on the BMCC is "roughly" 20w...as stated by BM in this forum about 6-8 months ago.

sean

ChrisBarcellos

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Try this DIY solution if funds are limited.

Johnbarnesthe3rd

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 am

Marcel Beck wrote:I've plugged in the AC plug when I did my 24hour time-lapse, works!

Hey Marcel, can you tell me more about your time lapse and what your setup was for that? I just bought the Pocket 4K and am interested in a time lapse as well.

For example, what kind of media storage did you use and how many GB did it fill up in 24hours continuous shooting? What were your record settings on camera (ie did you shoot BRAW and if so what quality setting exactly)?

Would love to know also how your time lapse turned out, if you have any video to share.

Thank you!

Return to Cinematography