Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ulysses Paiva

Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Everywhere I look, I only see "test" footage. Its "something test", "another thing test"... Almost every video from BMD cameras users are only tests.

Dont get me wrong, they are important for every user to get used to their gear. But... and a BIG BUT...

There's only a very, very few videos shot "for good". At least available online on Vimeio and Youtube. I just want to see proper TV Commercials, Music Videos, even corporate and other stuff that really have used these cameras to their true purpose. Specially short movies or even feature movies. But I can only see a very few compared to the huge amount of "Test Shots".

Its very pleasing to see the results of the camera when properly used. I really enjoy it and so many others.

So, folks, PLEASE! Stop shooting dumb and everlasting test shots. Start writing a good story/script and go shoot! PLEASE!
Ulysses Paiva

Mark Jamerson

Re: Tired of BMCC and BMPCC "Tests"

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:58 pm

:lol: :lol:

+1
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Joaquin Torrents

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 pm

+10000 ;)
Joaquin Torrents

Matthew Silver

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:04 pm

You can see actual client work that we did with the BMCC camera -

We think they turned out great and the client wants to do more, so there that is. We've already shot a bunch of pieces for our entertainment side, just nothing that we've put online yet. So, our BMCC is definitely getting a workout. We don't really do test footage. These were our tests.

Hope you enjoy!

Matthew

Steve DiMaggio

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 pm

the past 10 or so videos I did for work with the bmcc
http://www.youtube.com/classicdrumshop

I have done 3 or 4 audio tests for this board, all of which people were happy were done

I do think that sometimes, me included, will go out with new gear and label things "test" because that is what it is

feel free OP to post your music videos or commercials

Larry Sullivan

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:22 pm

I feel the same way, but I wouldn't dare come on a forum and whine about it. Do you have one of these cams? Where are your pro videos? If you don't have it...do you have a cam? Why aren't you working on a pro video with whatever cam you have? If you don't have it....why haven't you bought it yet so you can rush out and shoot your own pro videos? The BMPCC has been out a month or so and we are already expecting commercials and narratives to be flooding YouTube and Vimeo? Those types of projects take time, money, coordination and effort. I crave pro vids too...mainly narratives, but I wouldn't dare disparage those who are at least out shooting something. I learn from some of these test as well. Just some thoughts.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I've been saying the same thing for a long time...

When the Canon DSLRs first showed up there was an explosion of creative work and short films. Then with each subsequent generation of camera the ratio of "tests" shot up. Until seemingly all we have are tests.

I guess that's the result of true democratization in filmmaking. Possession of a great camera alone does not a filmmaker make. And when all else fails the average mind will obsess over gear and spend their days testing things to no end.

Even some of the more successful types that label themselves as "filmmaker" and don't label there work with the word "test" are essentially doing nothing more than collecting endless libraries of B-roll. Birds in the park, passing cars, people shopping, nighttime snow... I like to call it the "screen saver school of filmmaking"... Go out for a day and shoot a bunch of stuff then come home and throw it on a timeline with a catchy tune you downloaded from the internet, and BANG! ART!...

I still haven't posted much of anything I've done with my BMPCC yet for this reason. I don't want to contribute to it... Though I do have a "test" posted it's half-way a swipe at this very subject... ;)

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:28 pm

I believe there's a lot of commercial work done with the BMCC and BMPCC - but that's the point: it's commercial, and therefore usually not free to show to anyone.

focuspulling

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Everywhere I look, I only see "test" footage. Its "something test", "another thing test"... Almost every video from BMD cameras users are only tests.

Dont get me wrong, they are important for every user to get used to their gear. But... and a BIG BUT...

There's only a very, very few videos shot "for good". At least available online on Vimeio and Youtube. I just want to see proper TV Commercials, Music Videos, even corporate and other stuff that really have used these cameras to their true purpose. Specially short movies or even feature movies. But I can only see a very few compared to the huge amount of "Test Shots".

Its very pleasing to see the results of the camera when properly used. I really enjoy it and so many others.

So, folks, PLEASE! Stop shooting dumb and everlasting test shots. Start writing a good story/script and go shoot! PLEASE!
Got anything to share? Looking forward.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

JerryBruck

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 pm

@g14matthew -- I very much enjoyed the zany spirit especially of the second of your three links, and the color in that one too. Obviously you've discovered a star in your financial adviser. Since the BMCC isn't engineered to vet the advice that flows through it (yet), I might add that her cheery advice to those teenagers to finance college with bank loans when all else fails deserves a warning footnote or ten. I hear there's good money (for those with skills) in cooking methamphetamine, it's almost the new "plastics" but not exactly the same of course, though this info too might be out of date by now.

David Sandberg

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 pm

The Blackmagic cameras have only been in the hands of people for a relatively short time and with a lot of pro work it can take quite some time before you can put the work online. With a festival run and then TV airings it can easily take two years before you can put it on youtube.

I recently finished a short film shot on the BMCC EF-mount (I wanted to get the MFT but I couldn't wait for it). Shot it all in raw and there's a bunch of VFX in it (camera tracking is so much easier when you don't have to deal with muddy h.264 compressed 8 bit video!).
All I can show right now is a teaser: (password: wallace)

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm

No. I dont have any cameras, nor any experience. I never shot a commercial in my life and I only watch pirated DVDs on my 20 year old tube TV. And my post was only intended to sarcasm those who shoot tests and I didnt even for a moment thought about inspiring and saying people to take the next step and start shooting something elaborate we'd really love seeing because I dont like the image of any BMD cameras and I have no interest in seeing anyone's work because I simply dont enjoy it. And I wasnt aware the pocket has shipped since september and the 2.5k for over a year. And yes, a year isnt enought time for us to see proper (commercial/elaborate) material shot on these cameras.

Sorry to be such an ******* and to have tried to make everyone mad instead of just saying I would love to see everyone's work done properly and within a nice script/story.

I gotta go back to shooting my home videos in my cell phone. Sorry! And keep shooting tests because thats why you bought the camera, right?

Peace!

;)
Ulysses Paiva

NicWassell

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 pm

For your consideration... a short I made a couple of months ago.

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 pm

David Sandberg wrote:The Blackmagic cameras have only been in the hands of people for a relatively short time and with a lot of pro work it can take quite some time before you can put the work online. With a festival run and then TV airings it can easily take two years before you can put it on youtube.

I recently finished a short film shot on the BMCC EF-mount (I wanted to get the MFT but I couldn't wait for it). Shot it all in raw and there's a bunch of VFX in it (camera tracking is so much easier when you don't have to deal with muddy h.264 compressed 8 bit video!).
All I can show right now is a teaser: (password: wallace)

Very nice, David. Thats what Im talking about. Great color (nothing fancy and exagerated as most use to do). Very well shot and the VFX are also well done. I studied VFX and motion graphics for over 5 years and started my business doing animation. Well, very cinematic and I really enjoy seeing this type of work.
Thanks for sharing.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:09 pm

nicwassell wrote:For your consideration... a short I made a couple of months ago.

Nic, I saw it some time ago. Its among those videos I enjoied watching and was happy it was shot on the BMCC..
Ulysses Paiva

georgetsirogiannis

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Given the delays, I think this is the point where we'll start getting really good, professional or at least professional-like, works.

For short films in particular, they do need some time to appear. Not only because of the shipping delays, but also because, as most of the people around here should know, we don't usually upload the films right after we finish them - this is a minus point when it comes to festival submissions (because, even though this starts to change, most festivals still prefer premieres over films that have already screened, including online).

So there will be some time until the real thing starts flowing. I guess so, at least. :)

Guy Bleyaert

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 pm

I 'am starting to shoot a feature film next year. But I just got the BMCC today so you will have to have some patience ;), besides there is somebody here on the forum that has just finished a feature film if I am not wrong.
Guy Bleyaert “ Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. ”

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 pm

The shorts shot on Canon DSLRs didn't take much time to appear...

But then again there were a lot of competitions like "Story Beyond The Still" (among others) that really helped push people to actually get beyond "testing"...

Maybe that's what the Blackmagic community needs. A really good competition with some solid prizes.

Natal

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Are you not aware that 90% of users buy cameras to test them? :lol:

That is the geek way!!

Guy Bleyaert

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 pm

This is an action feature film I directed and produced and been released this year. Shot on Panasonic HVX200 and AF100 and been released this year in Europe.

Do not forget , film is not just all about the pixel quality only ;)
Last edited by Guy Bleyaert on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Bleyaert “ Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. ”

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Natal wrote:Are you not aware that 90% of users buy cameras to test them? :lol:

That is the geek way!!

Auhauhauauhauhhauhauhauh

:mrgreen:
Ulysses Paiva

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm sorry, but the comment about "explosion of short films" on Canons?

No.

Outside of Vincent LaForet's 30P short film, the actual short film on a D90 or 5DMKII was NON-EXISTANT in the beginning. They were ALL tests, or Phillip Bloom's faces videos. I was there for that entire explosion, saying that there were shorts done immediately on any of those cameras is complete falsehood.

The 7D was over a YEAR later than the 5D, and the 5D 24P update didn't happen for some time after that.

It wasn't until the 7D and 5D that you got more than random test footage being shown.

This is how every single camera release goes, and was the same way with RED when it started shipping. Again, I was rather involved at the start of either of those (Had the first D90 in the US delivered days early, first GH1 in the US delivered weeks early, and RED #81 was our tool for some time) and it was ALL tests for a good year if you surfed the web/forums.

Tacked on, most people can't actually share footage from paid jobs. That's how it's always been. When the GH1 first popped up I put it on a Heineken National and couldn't share a single frame for over six months afterward.
Kholi Hicks

Tom

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:I believe there's a lot of commercial work done with the BMCC and BMPCC - but that's the point: it's commercial, and therefore usually not free to show to anyone.

This.

I have done a couple of films which I am very proud of and am itching to share with the world, but I am prevented from doing so due to several scary looking contracts. I cannot even share one single frame with anyone.

Another project of mine is being shown at private screenings which my client is charging for - so I obviously cannot share any of that either!

It's very frustrating that the only things I am free to share are test or tutorial videos. I imagine its the same for many other people on here. The end result is it looks as though these people, including myself, only do test or tutorial videos - and not proper work.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Kholi wrote:I'm sorry, but the comment about "explosion of short films" on Canons?

No.

Outside of Vincent LaForet's 30P short film, the actual short film on a D90 or 5DMKII was NON-EXISTANT in the beginning. They were ALL tests, or Phillip Bloom's faces videos. I was there for that entire explosion, saying that there were shorts done immediately on any of those cameras is complete falsehood.

The 7D was over a YEAR later than the 5D, and the 5D 24P update didn't happen for some time after that.

It wasn't until the 7D and 5D that you got more than random test footage being shown.

This is how every single camera release goes, and was the same way with RED when it started shipping. Again, I was rather involved at the start of either of those (Had the first D90 in the US delivered days early, first GH1 in the US delivered weeks early, and RED #81 was our tool for some time) and it was ALL tests for a good year if you surfed the web/forums.

Tacked on, most people can't actually share footage from paid jobs. That's how it's always been. When the GH1 first popped up I put it on a Heineken National and couldn't share a single frame for over six months afterward.

The 'explosion' came almost immediately after the release of the 7D. Because the 7D solved a lot of the problems the 5D had by adding 24p etc... The 5D MKIII was an infant that wasn't designed for filmmaking. It was extremely limited and new technology that took a lot of time to mature.

The Blackmagic cameras are not. They have their qwerks. But there is absolutely no reason in the world that people can't make the same kind of shorts they've been making on Canon cameras with them...

Also I'm not talking about "paid gigs" I couldn't care less about commercials... I'm referring to all the people who go out and shoot B-roll of generic things rather than even attempting to tell a story. I'm talking about creativity, and lack thereof. And I think that's what the OP was getting at as well.

A lot of people have become so hung up on the technology that all they can do anymore is pixel peep, and "test". They aren't producing anything of substance.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 pm

nicwassell wrote:For your consideration... a short I made a couple of months ago.

And yet there is Rolling inteference on the first shot on the girls hair.
That camera is driving me nuts :(
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:
Kholi wrote:I'm sorry, but the comment about "explosion of short films" on Canons?

No.

The 'explosion' came almost immediately after the release of the 7D. Because the 7D solved a lot of the problems the 5D had by adding 24p etc... The 5D MKIII was an infant that wasn't designed for filmmaking. It was extremely limited and new technology that took a lot of time to mature.

The Blackmagic cameras are not. They have their qwerks. But there is absolutely no reason in the world that people can't make the same kind of shorts they've been making on Canon cameras with them...

Also I'm not talking about "paid gigs" I couldn't care less about commercials... I'm referring to all the people who go out and shoot B-roll of generic things rather than even attempting to tell a story. I'm talking about creativity, and lack thereof. And I think that's what the OP was getting at as well.

A lot of people have become so hung up on the technology that all they can do anymore is pixel peep, and "test". They aren't producing anything of substance.

I guess we define explosion differently, which is okay. There really wasn't any explosion of creativity from my point of view, but instead a lot of footage that looked different than the preceding prosumer cameras (HVX200, EX1, XH-A1) with 35mm Adapters which were finally getting to a place of constant use.

It was mostly test footage, the D90, 5D, GH1, and all the way up until the following year after the 7Ds release. I spend WAY too much time on forums, but my memory is quite good, there wasn't much to show for on any of these cameras but this was ALSO a different time: anything with shallow DOF looked amazing, so it all seemed "new".

I definitely do not agree that the 2.5K or Pocket Camera are mature... if they were, there wouldn't be several topics on how to expose the camera, how to shoot LOG, etc. You're talking about a method of shooting that a lot of people in this price bracket are not accustomed to. Still learning how to handle color in post, still learning what the camera likes and does not like.

It's nowhere near as simple as shooting a 7D or 5D if you're shooting LOG, not even in the same ballpark.

As far as tests go, it's a knowledge base for cameras. There are Directors and DPs that cite Vimeo in magazines, claiming that they've seen footage on Vimeo that inspired them to try different things, not just a camera that they've never heard of (GH2-Hack) but a technique that "some kid" was using to accomplish a shot. This is not a bad thing, at all.

And lastly... attempting to tell a story... well, go out and do that? If it's that easy to do. It's not, because then you have people asking if that story was worth telling, or if you told it the way they think you should have, so on and so forth. Just telling someone to "go and shoot a story" is basically like telling someone to "Make a cake".

I didn't even say a "good" cake, I just said make a cake. It sounds simple, it isn't easy.

People shouldn't be discouraged about shooting what's in front of them, and even sharing what they've discovered with others. I've literally watched some new forum users' eyes develop through videos they've posted on Vimeo, and I can name at least one that I've paid VERY close attention to, whom I interface with online often, that has finally had the chance to start shooting narrative and because he spent SO much time following his daughter around or shooting trees, beaches, rocks, well he's good.

Just plain good.

IN the days when the GH2 first came out, I thought it wasn't all that great, until I saw his test videos with his daughter. I immediately sold my 5D and bought a GH2 the next day because of his tests.

Here, have a look at his Tests on vimeo, mixed with some footage from his first feature, with the 2.5K:

That's it from me, sorry to cut in, carry on!
Kholi Hicks

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am

Well, I bought my DSLR for video almost as soon as the 5D MKII was released, and it was way before the 7D and TV commercials were already been shot at that time. We could already see some shorts shot with the 5D and the 500D, the first two video DSLRs. Although it was very few as the revolution wasnt really beggening yet, the amount of "test" shots wasnt so huge comparing to proper footage. By that time I just grabbed my camera, gathered some friends and started shooting. Of course, first of all I made about 2 or 3 "test" videos to get used to the camera, but soon after that I was shooting shorts with friends.

Like I said, test shots are needed, but you can almost say that we can only find test footage out there instead of a great and delightful amount of "narrative" or commercial work.

Sometimes I remember the 5D was used on Ironman 2, Many major music videos, the final episode of the 5th season of House (I may be mistaken about the number of the season) and some others.

It really is not about the camera, but mainly about the story. Of course, a bad image is not enjoyable and a good image counts and helps. And it would be very amazing to see much more narrative works available shot on the BMCC or even the Pocket.
Ulysses Paiva

ChrisBarcellos

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 am

Shot this for a little on line contest with the BMCC.

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:34 am

I just shot this for a contest entirely on BMCC. BTW, your vote by Liking the page would be appreciated! :D lol

http://26th.abcsofdeathpart2.com/entry/ ... ns-shadow/
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:52 am

Here's some more stuff:

a proper long-form video ad for a church youth camp (shot on BMCC and a T2i):

tejano music video:

quick and dirty wedding/signing video:
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

bhook

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:We could already see some shorts shot with the 5D and the 500D, the first two video DSLRs. Although it was very few as the revolution wasnt really beggening yet,

Before the 5D, GH2 and 7D there was the Nikon D90. So enamored with vDSLRs was I that I bought and actually used the D90 on several paying gigs (talking head corporate). IMHO, if you're going to pass out credit for the vDSLR revolution, you shouldn't fail to mention Nikon and the amazing D90.

Austin Reed

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 am

I think people are excited not just about the camera itself but about the whole idea of generating film like quality together with color grading. When DSLR's first hit the scene, the hype was "FULL HD" and people probably didn't care about color as much but when these cameras hit the scene, it was all about color. You can't let the flat image be as is, you need to correct/grade. That's why we see 10 videos of the same shot. Personally speaking, I didn't know there was such an art and science to color. These cameras are game changers because they give the low-budget filmmaker a decent platform to capture and express. I agree, the test footage is piling up but it is interesting to see how the camera reacts in different hands.
And Seeing amazing work, test or not, is always inspiring.

Dustin Albert

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 2:24 am

I don't mind video tests. I would just prefer to see different tests. It seems like everyone shoots the same exact thing.

I don't think I've seen a single vfx test, for example. How about an underwater housing test. etc...
Never stop learning and trying new things…

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 am

This thread got a bit long so I got to keep my thing short...

I'm not surprised that there are so many test videos shot with blackmagic cameras because all of the users are beta testers. Just look how many features are we still waiting for to be fixed. :D

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 3:14 am

idut21 wrote:I don't mind video tests. I would just prefer to see different tests. It seems like everyone shoots the same exact thing.

I don't think I've seen a single vfx test, for example. How about an underwater housing test. etc...

That would be amazing! And not boring tests.

pavel89l wrote:This thread got a bit long so I got to keep my thing short...

I'm not surprised that there are so many test videos shot with blackmagic cameras because all of the users are beta testers. Just look how many features are we still waiting for to be fixed. :D

Ahahahahaha. You're right!
Ulysses Paiva

raadgie

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 4:41 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Everywhere I look, I only see "test" footage. Its "something test", "another thing test"... Almost every video from BMD cameras users are only tests.

In fact, we are testing your patience. :D
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

hugh

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 5:02 am

idut21 wrote:I don't think I've seen a single vfx test, for example.

Here's my VFX test-

password- bmpcc

Insomniac

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 8:37 am

Briwil wrote:

Here's my VFX test-

password- bmpcc

That was very cool, Briwil. Can I ask how you did it?

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 am

For anyone taking the OPs sarcastic answer for true, here's his "iphone-test-video-site": http://www.ulyssespaiva.com.br/

And to reply to Ulysses as well:

got my BMC in April, did only test videos so far (thank god I'm getting better results now than in the beginning) and I have completed a 57min and a 10 min film this year, both still done with the 7D.
I'm a one-man-part-time show, so when I start my next film probably in feb/march 2014 I won't put it online until it has been accepted by hopefully some festivals - I don't think its encouraging for curators to choose films, which are already online - although no one knows my name and might not end up at an festival and say, booh, I've seen that already.

But this might be a reason as well you don't see that much narrative/documentary work done with the BMC.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:39 pm

gmf wrote:For anyone taking the OPs sarcastic answer for true, here's his "iphone-test-video-site": http://www.ulyssespaiva.com.br/

The site is outdated. Its from 2012 'cause I didnt have time yet to update it since last year. The new one will be launched at www.upmdfilmes.com.br but thanks anyway to take the time to check it.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Briwil wrote:

Here's my VFX test-

password- bmpcc

Nice job! I really love to see any good work. Its just delightful. Hope everyone now gets what I was trying to say.

:D
Ulysses Paiva

Richard Brown

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

After waiting five or so months for my Pocket Cinema Camera, I bought the Cinema Camera out of frustration and current availability, then received the Pocket in a surprise shortly thereafter this October.

That said, with equipment having just arrived, there's been no time to shoot anything of substance. I am, and have been, gearing up to shoot a feature, which takes time... thus, I have nothing but a test or two to talk about, mainly, that super telephoto is easy, wide angle is not. Further, I am still working with machinists to adapt stuff, like, with X lens, the Pocket does not fit the Steadicam, so we make it fit.

So, I am not shooting any shorts or whatever, as I am still gearing up, contacting every lens manufacturer to try to round out the wide angle end of things. Without a proper visual palette, filmmaking tends to be stymied. The Super 16 community has largely caught on to the Pocket revolution, and prices have head north, WAY north. Thus, it's to the machine vision companies we must seek, but covering the near Super 16 sensor is problematic when 10K machine vision sensors are 2/3 inch. 10K lenses are sharp enough, yet, too small an image circle. Still, there is hope.

We stand at a crossroads where independent production can compete with major studio production, but the fact of the new technology does not mean, necessarily, there are new filmmakers. This, however, is the hope of such democratization.

On the flip side, a surfing film, concentrating on the facial gestures, state of beards, and dentition of surfers might be fun, and quite doable, but lacking dramatic structure. For that, we need a new revolution in lenses. Funny thing, the lenses will likely all be much more expensive than our Blackmagic Cameras.
All Things Behind the Camera are my Art,
Baking and Making Dessert, my Passion.

Worzel Gummidge

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 3:03 pm

What a dumb thread.

Seems the OP has an ungrateful attitude. If you don't like tests then don't watch them! Nobody is forcing you! :roll:

Cristobal Infante

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Plenty stuff on my website, just search through the categories:

http://bmcc.tv

hugh

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Insomniac wrote:
Briwil wrote:Here's my VFX test-

password- bmpcc

That was very cool, Briwil. Can I ask how you did it?

It was just done in AE (CS6) using the 3D camera tracker- it was supposed to track the camera, but it ended up tracking his face instead, so I just went with it.

focuspulling

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Well, someone added this to my User Group and it looks like a commercial job, if that's the gold standard: https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/77648980
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Rod Lopez

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 pm

I second this motion. Too many tests. Get out there and do some real work and post that. Test show nothing. Until you take the camera out there and spend a couple of days on the set and editing, you won't know much.
Rod Lopez,
www.NewStyleIP.com
@RodLopezFilms
@NewStyleIP

Steve DiMaggio

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 4:48 am

newstyleip wrote:I second this motion. Too many tests. Get out there and do some real work and post that. Test show nothing. Until you take the camera out there and spend a couple of days on the set and editing, you won't know much.

since this is a prosumer priced camera, of course you are going to have plenty of people shooting "test" because they are learning the art as much as the camera.

Just remember the same group of people shooting tests are the same group that purchased enough cameras to give you 13 stops at 3K when your only other options was silicone image and red cameras

georgetsirogiannis

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Steve DiMaggio wrote:Just remember the same group of people shooting tests are the same group that purchased enough cameras to give you 13 stops at 3K when your only other options was silicone image and red cameras

Now this is wise. It's not so easy to think about this, but you're absolutely right.

Jules Bushell

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 12:37 pm

newstyleip wrote:I second this motion. Too many tests. Get out there and do some real work and post that. Test show nothing. Until you take the camera out there and spend a couple of days on the set and editing, you won't know much.

If you are shooting a short film, your're not posting this for free on YouTube/Vimeo straight away. Has to go through the festival circuit, probably take a year. Have to recoup the budget some how. I'd try to sell it to some TV channel. After two years, maybe post it on-line.

Feature films take of course a lot longer to go through the process of making it, post production, sales agents, distribution, marketing, theatrical, DVDs, cable, online chargeable, plus other Windows (airports, hotels) etc.

I wager, you won't see top quality work posted on-line for free any time soon.

So I say the opposite, keep those tests coming else we won't see much at all.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk
Next

Return to Cinematography