Raw for the Pocket!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Lee Mackreath

Re: Raw for the Pocket!

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm

My raw 10 seconds

EAFMM

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Totally right man!

thanks

Kholi Hicks

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 pm

leepatterson wrote:My Sony 64gb SD XC1 94MB/s cards are coping with Raw really well

Have you run stress tests with this card? Lots of detail, foliage, for an extended period of time?

Would be interested in hearing the results, that card is half the price of the Sandisks unless I'm looking at the wrong one.
Kholi Hicks

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 pm

misterkofa wrote:I don't get all the questions about does this or that card work? BM clearly states the cards that do. Just get those and you're golden. As a rule of thumb, people should be getting the 95/MBs cards not only cause they work but it's great for off loading. Simple.

So tell me: which cards do they "clearly state" to do raw recording? As i understand it, not all cards on their list of approval are good for RAW, some only do ProRes. And even if it was stated more clearly: there have been other misleading informations on their site, like "active mft mount, enabling OIS on panasonic lenses" which is only true for lenses that happen to have a ois on/off switch.

Johan Cramer

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

leepatterson wrote:My Sony 64gb SD XC1 94MB/s cards are coping with Raw really well

Are you positively sure? I tested them, too, but they started dropping frames after 5-7 seconds.

Did you just record with the camera (which works, but results in the rec LED blinking after about 10 seconds), or did you also open the footage in Resolve? And pay attention to whether the numbering of the DNG frames is continuous or having gaps?

The Sony cards seem to have fast buffer memory for storing image sequences at 94MB/s, but their actual flash memory is much slower and drops frames as soon as the buffer is full.
Last edited by Johan Cramer on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn Miller

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:50 pm

adamroberts wrote:BMCC (EF & MFT) = 2.5k Uncompressed RAW with 1080p ProRes...

And 1080p DNxHD... let's not forget about 1080p DNxHD. :-)

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Dan Harris

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Kholi wrote:

Have you run stress tests with this card? Lots of detail, foliage, for an extended period of time?

Would be interested in hearing the results, that card is half the price of the Sandisks unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

I tested all day, my Sony's would shoot a 1st take then nothing. After a reboot same story, simply did not work, the record button flashed repeatedly.

The San Disk were flawless.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Did you try both filesystems? Maybe mac/windows filesystem is better in that borderline case.

leepatterson

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 am

Kholi wrote:

Shot around 5 min of internal low light with SLR Magic 50mm T1.4, heading out to the street tonight and will do some traffic and shop interiors. Sadly cant do any daylight shots cause of work commitments. But I will be going to the highlands this weekend and will have a chance for some extended outdoor work. Will report back on Monday. They are completely solid with Prores and the 5min last night are flawless in Raw. Fingers crossed:) Yes, they are about half the price of the SanDisc cards:)

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 11:00 am

misterkofa wrote:As a rule of thumb, people should be getting the 95/MBs cards not only cause they work but it's great for off loading. Simple.

I couldn't agree more

Swahn_Kung

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:After testing raw for quite a while now, the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I (64GB,95MB/s) is the card I recommend.

That's exactly the card I got. Hopefully it works just as good as yours.

Rob Fasold

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Could you expand on that? Really well as in some glitches or zero glitches? Please keep us posted...

Cheers

leepatterson

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 pm

*Update* just shot Raw with the Sony Card again and found dropped frames at around 340 :(

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 pm

But if it works "almost well" for RAW, can i assume it works "flawless" with ProRes? I'm going to buy a couple (4 to 6) cards for swapping on set in a tight schedule, and would like to benefit from the fast offload and save a couple hundreds on the way...

lee patterson

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 pm

I've had zero problems with ProRes on the sony cards:)

andrew

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 11:02 pm

steve connor wrote:Step back and realise exactly what BMD have done here, 12 bit RAW on a small camera that costs $995 it's a very BIG deal.

I completely agree. Now that the pocket can shoot raw I sometime find myself looking at the tiny camera in awe! It's hard to believe I'm getting such high quality frames from such a little camera.

bmpc raw.jpg
bmpc raw.jpg (693.79 KiB) Viewed 4130 times

Shot 24p raw on beta firmware with Panasonic 14-45mm lens.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 11:28 pm

If all goes well (read: the budget allows it), I'm going to take my Pocket + Nex-7 and HOPEFULLY a gimbal and possibly if I can finagle it, my Arca-Swiss f-field camera when I go to Patagonia... I have a terabyte of RAW that I shot with my BMCC MFT in Glacier NP this summer that I haven't finished editing (aargh), and while the footage is gorgeous, that camera is a bear to carry around when hiking.

The only catches are power and memory cards. I might not have access to power for several days at a time on that trip, even though most of the time we will be staying in hotels and such.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

adamroberts

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

andrew wrote:I completely agree. Now that the pocket can shoot raw I sometime find myself looking at the tiny camera in awe! It's hard to believe I'm getting such high quality frames from such a little camera.

bmpc raw.jpg

Shot 24p raw on beta firmware with Panasonic 14-45mm lens.

Lovely footage as always Andrew.
Previous

Return to Cinematography