List of approved SSDs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: List of approved SSDs *updated*

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 4:04 am

[quote=“Brambler”]… My question for the board: Since the Extreme IIs haven’t been recommended officially, what's the next-best thing? Looks like I might still be able to buy an Extreme first-gen from B&H. Any others?

Thanks,

Peter[/quote]

I think the next best thing may be to look at the Digistor SSDs. They were used in the Blackmagic BMCC and BMPC4K cameras at NAB 2013 and the Digistor site tests them using the BMCC I believe. They are a little more costly than the Sandisk but in the ballpark.
Rick Lang

Mark Davies

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Brambler wrote:Hey all,

There are some questions on this board about the Sandisk Extreme II 480gb drives. I thought I'd chip in with my recent experience:

Just unboxed a brand-new BM Cinema Camera and a brand-new Sandisk Extreme II 480gb unit. Attached the included shim so that the drive fits the enclosure. Formatted the drive per instructions on my Mac and began test-shooting under ideal conditions (no extreme temperature, no blockage of fan, etc).

About 50% of the time I get dropped frames shooting RAW. (REC light starts blinking, visible skipping on playback)
No dropped frames shooting ProRes.

My question for the board: Since the Extreme IIs haven't been recommended officially, what's the next-best thing? Looks like I might still be able to buy an Extreme first-gen from B&H. Any others?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter

Are you sure its the drives? I think there has been some issues with mac formatting and I believe you need to reformat after every use. There are others who know more than me who can hopefully step in.
Mark Davies

Zachary Marsh

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey, I just noticed these SSD's and was wondering with the speed host if they work with the BMCC? Anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electroni ... ywords=ssd

I'd rather have a couple 120's than a single 240+, especially since I'm using Light Iron's server and want every to see takes frequently.

Cynosure Media

PostSat Nov 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Zachary Marsh wrote:Hey, I just noticed these SSD's and was wondering with the speed host if they work with the BMCC? Anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electroni ... ywords=ssd

I'd rather have a couple 120's than a single 240+, especially since I'm using Light Iron's server and want every to see takes frequently.

I've had good luck with my 500gb EVO. Keep in mind, I think the lower capacity drives are a little slower than the higher capacity drives. If you look at the link I posted below, you will see the 120gb drives are only rated for 410mb/s, which as far as I know, won't handle raw footage. Also note that these are 7mm drives, rather than 9.5mm drives, so you will need a spacer if you want it to fit snugly. I used 2.5mm plexiglass and taped it to the back of the drive, no problems, but you won't be able to run it without a spacer.

Check this out, the link posts a lot of info you should know. Add a "www." to the beginning of it.

anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested

Mark Davies

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 10:01 am

Tony Rivera wrote:Here's the link to the most current list of SSDs that have cleared our approval.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 2&os=linux

Sidenote:
This was just updated in the backend of the site so it may take a little while to refresh on the actual page so please be patient. :)

Tony. It's clear the sandisk II's have not made the list. Is it possible you could confirm they will not be on the list and maybe some info perhaps re testing? :)
Mark Davies

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am

One might also look into the At**os list of not recommended drives (at the bottom of the page):
Discovery what Drives

It is interesting that they do not recommend the Crucial M4, Intel 330 & 520 and some OCZs.
Comment for the Crucial M4: "After many formats reliability drops, this drive is not always detected in the Recorder."

They do recommend highly the SanDisks Extreme & Extreme II.

I might also add, that personally I had good success with the Samsung 840 series, just had to make its case a bit thicker by sticking some foam onto it.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 08, 2013 3:15 am

Brambler wrote:My question for the board: Since the Extreme IIs haven't been recommended officially, what's the next-best thing? Looks like I might still be able to buy an Extreme first-gen from B&H. Any others?

Thanks,

Peter

I would also think the Plextor M5Pro / Extreme should be a good performer. I think it is only available in the US and Canada currently. Has quite consistent read/write time on clean and used drives and using incompressible data. 128 GB or 256 GB or 512 GB.
Rick Lang

Vince Gaffney

PostFri Nov 08, 2013 5:21 pm

There are factory refurbished SanDisks Extremes on Ebay. Decent price too.

I just tried one of the refurbished drives for 289.00 and it works great with RAW. So there's that if your interested.
Last edited by Vince Gaffney on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm Purnell

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am

Benjamin Brown wrote:I have been using the Extreme II 240GB for a month or so. Shot every format except DNxHD. It has been a solid performer.

The question about the shim is simple. It sticks on and slides in. I hope that clears it up.

I've attached an image. The tape is on the SSD for my reference of used or clean. I believe I borrowed the idea from a Frank Glencairn post. Thanks for that. The black tape on the end is a handle. My fingers won't fit inside the tiny area to remove the drive.

photo.JPG

Where does one find the shim to make the newer hd's fit?

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

Malc84cine wrote:Where does one find the shim to make the newer hd's fit?

Normally in the box with the SSD when you buy it.

cro0w

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello,

I've been using the Samsung 840 250G for a while now. It's been doing me pretty well.
Sean Mitchell | DP, Photographer, Videographer & Digital Artist.

François Zaïdi

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Was it the PRO version ? Did it work with uncompressed ?
Live Camera Director - Post production @ GIGOWATT FILM
French based AV production company

Please visit us : http://www.gigowattfilm.com

michaeldias

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 pm

i use a Samsung 250gb and 500gb SSD EVO and it works great for compressed and uncompressed Raw video so it's cheap and works great :-) the ssd is just a bit small so you need to adapt from 7mm to 9mm i use tape it worked great !
BMCC & Redrock Black Serie's 500gb Evo Samsung....

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch i7 2.6Ghz, 16GB ,512gb , Iris Pro & GT750 2GbDDR5

Adobe After Effects CC / Red Giant / VCP
Adobe Premiere CC
Blackmagic Resolve 10

Jaypax

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 pm

I have been sold a San Disk extreme 80mb/s 32GB as a recommended card - is this fast enough? I seem to be getting some dropped frames, and I am not sure whether it is the card simply not keeping up.

Michael Weathersby

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 am

The Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB is very tempting. I know some people are hesitant about using high capacity SSDs, but i remember the same being said for SD cards and CF cards. 1 TB is more then enough space for DNxHD or ProRes and if you are shooting something Raw it would be nice to have to worry less about running out of space. When the firmware releases that indicates the remaining space on a card then a high capacity card would not look as enticing.

Ian Maguire

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 pm

oh this is only for the 4K? darn, i got my 2.5K a few weeks ago and am eager to try it out but i don't know what SSD to get. anyone have a good recommendation (money isn't an issue) for one that will work with an apple computer?
Screenwriter, Soon-to-be Filmmaker

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 pm

This list was put together for the 2.5k since it is the most current camera we have that uses the SSD.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

LoganStewartDP

SSD Shim

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 am

anyone know where to get an SSD Spacer if your drive didn't come with one?
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Ian Maguire

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:20 pm

so the SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25 is a safe bet to use with the 2.5K EF mount camera? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EK ... Z5KC4AAZJ2)

i am about to order but i wanna make sure it'll work fine and i won't to add like foam or anything for it to fit?
thanks, ian
Screenwriter, Soon-to-be Filmmaker

Bubba

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 am

I have used a Samsung 840EVO 500GB a few times now and works very well, came with a spacer and I super glued it on so it is permanent. This drive seems to get very warm though.

Jason Greene

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm

I know the Sandisk Extreme II's are not on the recommended list, so I'm not recommending anyone buy based on this report. Simply, I thought I'd share my experience with the Extreme II's.

I bought a 480 GB Extreme II SSD at a good price during a Cyber Monday sale, figuring I'd use it in my computer if it didn't work on my BMCC EFs.

Arrived a couple of days ago. I put it into my BMCC, which I had bought in March. This BMCC had its original firmware (v 1.2 or 1.3 - how do you find out?). When using the Extreme II on this BMCC, I had dropped frames on both raw and DNxHD.

On a whim, I tried it on my second BMCC, which I had just bought used. The Extreme II appeared to work fine on this BMCC with no dropped frames in either raw or compressed. This BMCC was originally purchased in August, so it presumably had more recent firmware on it.

After updating the firmware on my original BMCC to 1.5.1, the Extreme II now appears to work fine with no dropped frames. I'm cautious, as I've only tested it for 20 minutes or so and have not used it for a full day of shooting. But, I found this interesting. Perhaps it explains why some people are getting dropped frames and others are not with the Extreme II's.

By the way, the shim works fine and SSD seems to fit fine in my BMCC, just as the shim on my 240 GB Kinston v+200 has worked for 8 months.

Thomas Wong

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 am

Jason Greene wrote:I know the Sandisk Extreme II's are not on the recommended list, so I'm not recommending anyone buy based on this report. Simply, I thought I'd share my experience with the Extreme II's.

I bought a 480 GB Extreme II SSD at a good price during a Cyber Monday sale, figuring I'd use it in my computer if it didn't work on my BMCC EFs.

Arrived a couple of days ago. I put it into my BMCC, which I had bought in March. This BMCC had its original firmware (v 1.2 or 1.3 - how do you find out?). When using the Extreme II on this BMCC, I had dropped frames on both raw and DNxHD.

On a whim, I tried it on my second BMCC, which I had just bought used. The Extreme II appeared to work fine on this BMCC with no dropped frames in either raw or compressed. This BMCC was originally purchased in August, so it presumably had more recent firmware on it.

After updating the firmware on my original BMCC to 1.5.1, the Extreme II now appears to work fine with no dropped frames. I'm cautious, as I've only tested it for 20 minutes or so and have not used it for a full day of shooting. But, I found this interesting. Perhaps it explains why some people are getting dropped frames and others are not with the Extreme II's.

By the way, the shim works fine and SSD seems to fit fine in my BMCC, just as the shim on my 240 GB Kinston v+200 has worked for 8 months.

very thanks to your info, i bought an extreme II 480gb ssd too... good to know about it
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

Toni Plutonij

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Jason Greene, from what I understood, 1.5.1 firmware updated does absolutely nothing to BMCC, it has only changes for Pocket cam, so it would be wise to test a bit more, prior to taking it on a job!

Jason Greene

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Toni Plutonij wrote:Jason Greene, from what I understood, 1.5.1 firmware updated does absolutely nothing to BMCC, it has only changes for Pocket cam, so it would be wise to test a bit more, prior to taking it on a job!

Thanks. However, my point wasn't specific to 1.5.1 compared with 1.5 or even 1.4. Rather, my point was that some very much earlier version (1.2 or 1.3) appeared to have been the culprit that resulted in dropped frames. I used 1.5.1 simply because I didn't have access to another version on BMD's website - v. 1.5.1 was all I could find. Presumably, 1.5.1 contains all of the added updates from earlier versions, apparently including some that affected compatibility with SSD's. Sorry if my post wasn't clearer on that point.

Toni Plutonij

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Ahh, I get it now, sorry for misunderstanding you, english isn't my first language, so it's bound to happen from time to time ;)

Greg Best

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 9:32 pm

any listings yet for the 4K camera now that the beta gear is in the wild?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 9:39 pm

There is no update for the SSDs for the 4k camera as of yet. I'll give you an update when I hear something though.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 12:49 am

Hi the Extrem 2 with the 1.5 works great!!!

thomas325 wrote:
Jason Greene wrote:I know the Sandisk Extreme II's are not on the recommended list, so I'm not recommending anyone buy based on this report. Simply, I thought I'd share my experience with the Extreme II's.

very thanks to your info, i bought an extreme II 480gb ssd too... good to know about it

Daniel Dash

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Im on 4x 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K.
No problems.

Mark Aylward

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 2:32 am

Consider gauging your current ssd that work satisfactorily and compare to where it stands with its peers at this link...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/730

Seems to me one could find a suitable alternative without waiting for BM...
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 3:55 am

aylwardm wrote:Consider gauging your current ssd that work satisfactorily and compare to where it stands with its peers at this link...

Respectfully, AnandTech's tests are not as reliable as BMD's validation of the devices on their cameras. There is no reliable substitute for the actual use on the camera as the characteristics of their tests reflect your usage in their cameras. Many SSDs make fine storage devices for use in general purpose computers but fail in the very demanding long streaming video writes and reads in a camera.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Theodore Prentice

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

rick.lang wrote:
aylwardm wrote:Consider gauging your current ssd that work satisfactorily and compare to where it stands with its peers at this link...

Respectfully, AnandTech's tests are not as reliable as BMD's validation of the devices on their cameras. There is no reliable substitute for the actual use on the camera as the characteristics of their tests reflect your usage in their cameras. Many SSDs make fine storage devices for use in general purpose computers but fail in the very demanding long streaming video writes and reads in a camera.

Rick Lang

Respectfully, thats a croc.

I have been using ssd's that are not, and have not, been on BMDs list since Feb 2013 in my BMCC EF, without as much as one single dropped frame.

I chose them based on test sites similar to anandtech.

Its really not rocket science.

And people should shy away from taking advice from the "armchair" techs, who dont own, nor shoot with these cameras.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:And people should shy away from taking advice from the "armchair" techs, who dont own, nor shoot with these cameras.

Which puts AnandTech firmly in that category.

:roll:

as if they are on this site claiming otherwise.

dcrippa

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 pm

So, is this the one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... b_ssd.html

Where to get the spacer?
It`s not included in this package.

Also, I am trying to choose which dock to go with

So far:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... drive.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... rface.html

Is this dock with thunderbold worth it?

Many thanks

Jason Greene

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 pm

dcrippa wrote:So, is this the one?

Where to get the spacer?

So far:

Many thanks

The spacer came included with my Sandisk Extreme II, even though it was not listed information. Again, the Extreme II is not on the official list of approved SSD's provided by BMD. My Extreme II works for me, but I only risked it because it was on sale at a price far below any of the approved SSD's. If you would pay the same for something on the approved list, I would suggest buying an approved SSD.

Regarding the dock, I have the Newer Technology Voyager S3 (USB 3.0 interface) and it works very well.

Mark Aylward

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Respectfully, AnandTech's tests are not as reliable as BMD's validation of the devices ...

Rick Lang

Respectfully, thats a croc.

I have been using ssd's that are not, and have not, been on BMDs list since Feb 2013 in my BMCC EF, without as much as one single dropped frame.

Its really not rocket science....

Theodore, I couldn't agree more. BM simply wants to limit bad feedback from pour SSD's which is fine and all but a measuring stick is a measuring stick and if any SSD that BM approaved is in a pack or below a pack of other SSD's in the multitude of various tests seen on that site, although admittedly write speeds seem the obvious for primary tests, that one would be safe in choosing an alternative.

I'm glad to hear you are off the list and doing fine.

Thanks for your input.
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 4:34 am

aylwardm wrote:... BM simply wants to limit bad feedback from pour SSD's which is fine and all but a measuring stick is a measuring stick and if any SSD that BM approaved is in a pack or below a pack of other SSD's in the multitude of various tests seen on that site, although admittedly write speeds seem the obvious for primary tests, that one would be safe in choosing an alternative.

I'm glad to hear you are off the list and doing fine.

Thanks for your input.

What is the measuring stick in those benchmarks that convinces you an SSD will work? I think it is a write speed, but which write speed tests are convincing? I'm not offering any more advice but am curious what test by Anandtech you find most convincing?

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Thomas Wong

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 6:55 am

there is another option for dock, from atomos, only $50

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... ation.html
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

MattAnsini

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 7:12 am

The only caution I give with the atamos dock is that it was designed to work with their master caddy cases.

There will be a small gap between the ssd and the base of the dock and that could wear down on the contacts over time.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:
What is the measuring stick in those benchmarks that convinces you an SSD will work? I think it is a write speed, but which write speed tests are convincing?

A year ago:
It had to be a Marvell based controller (preferrably with toggle mode nand) that could easily surpass 150 MB per second (5 MB per RAW frame x 30 frames per second)

Never once has there been a ssd on the BMD "approved list" in my bmcc. Never lost a frame or had any "no ssd" or fitment issues.

Some prefer paralysis by analysis....some dont

dcrippa

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Jason Greene wrote:
dcrippa wrote:So, is this the one?

Where to get the spacer?

So far:

Many thanks

The spacer came included with my Sandisk Extreme II, even though it was not listed information. Again, the Extreme II is not on the official list of approved SSD's provided by BMD. My Extreme II works for me, but I only risked it because it was on sale at a price far below any of the approved SSD's. If you would pay the same for something on the approved list, I would suggest buying an approved SSD.

Regarding the dock, I have the Newer Technology Voyager S3 (USB 3.0 interface) and it works very well.

Thanks Jason.

I want at least 480gb and from what i have searched there os no other good option.
Im from Brazil and ir i import the tax will kill me.
Since Im going to NY Its easier for me to buy in the BH store.

My doubt still is if it would be better to buy the 512gb from samsumg.

LASHOOTER

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Return or not to return??? That is the question.

I bought 2 Sandisk ii 480 ssd's on cyber monday at a freakin' great price. I haven't opened them yet because I'm reading the forum about problems and others are say it's cool.

Is there a definitive YES OR NO shooting both RAW and dnxhd? These have been out a while, there must be more info out there. I'm reading there's a SPACER in the box that helps with the thickness of the SSD, but if you have first hand experience shooting paid work with the Sandisk ii 480, please let me know.

I don't want to be the guy who has to eat a day of shooting that might run 10k. Who can afford that, right?

dcrippa

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 pm

From what Ive read, since the update the sandisk ii is ok.

Donnell Henry

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 4:01 am

Hi Tony since you guys are now testing the bmpc 4k before final release, should we wait to purchase ssd's for the 4k? Or is it safe to say we can use our current ones when the camera ships
GODS CREATE

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 pm

I'll get in contact with the proper channels for you guys but I currently don't have that information about this.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

sean mclennan

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Tony, could you guys at BM not simply contract one of the SSD makers to manufacture a series of SSDs to your specs? Like a 240 and 480? I know they would cost more than off the shelf, but it would simplify things and raise the reliability. (quite a bit)

I'd pay a premium for this. As long as it wasn't a RED level premium ;)

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 am

sean mclennan wrote:Tony, could you guys at BM not simply contract one of the SSD makers to manufacture a series of SSDs to your specs? Like a 240 and 480? I know they would cost more than off the shelf, but it would simplify things and raise the reliability. (quite a bit)

I'd pay a premium for this. As long as it wasn't a RED level premium ;)

They already exist for a small premium: check out Digistor.com's SSDs for the Black Magic Cinema Cameras.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Michael Weathersby

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 3:55 pm

I find the older OCZ Vertex 480 works well.

JOhrm02

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 am

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS (BEGINNERS):

Im from Pittsburgh. I ordered my BMCC (EF) from B&H without buying the SSD. Went to local best buy and picked up a TOSHIBA QSeries 128gb SSD. Comes with a shim. First couple times it worked great. However, if you plan to shoot in raw, hah good luck.

The cheap route gets you nowhere. It begins dropping frames after 4 seconds of recording. Now I need it for a shoot, and have to find an approved ssd.

If you're new to the SSD/BMCC world, listen to the experts in the forum. Do not buy without researching.

mrmatthew

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB works fine. Didn't come with a shim though.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography