Atem software on a Mac Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Roach

Atem software on a Mac Mini

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 am

Hi I am thinking of buying a used Mac Mini to be dedicated for switching on my atem. Hs anybody used a Mac Mini for this and if so which model are you using. From the technical requirements of both the ATEM and the operating systems needed to run the software it seems as though anything older than a 2010 model won't work due to the 64 bit kernal. Anybody have any experience with the Mac Minis?

Daniel Knoche

Re: Atem software on a Mac Mini

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 10:39 am

Have used one, the one issue is you need a screen for it, which ok in a static set up, but if you need to move it all. Was using a 2012 mac mini, so can't comment on earlier models, but my understanding is has minimal impact on the system.
Daniel

Quinn Quality

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 pm

works great for me. I have 2 setups of BM switching sets both having a MacMini inside.
Taking a cheap small monitor along is no problem for me altho lately i use the built in BM monitors for the Mac Mini signal.
Take a look at a small piece of footage where you can see a small part of how it looks.
On the left BM screen you can see the BM software respond which is controlled by the Mac Mini

Only when you want to use more graphics or HD streaming, they might get into trouble.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

ksummerall

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I have built several setups using MacMinis. The monitor is an issue that is easily worked around. We use small 10' Lilliput monitors for portability. They connect via HDMI. The quality is not great but you don't need a high quality monitor for this purpose. We use the base model MacMini to control the switcher. It does't require any horsepower at all to run.

For streaming, we use another MacMini (the high end model). This way we have one for streaming, and one for control. It works very well.

Video Rig by The Summeralls, on Flickr

In the bottom rack you can barely see the Minis racked in a Sonnettech MacRack.
Ken Summerall, Jr
Ken Summerall Productions

Scott B

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 am

ksummerall, where did you get that rack?

ksummerall

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Scott B wrote:ksummerall, where did you get that rack?

I had it custom made by Mental Case in Myrtle Beach, SC. It's based off of their Guitar Repair case.

For those interested it contains:

Off the shelf 40" Samsung LED LCD on a Chief Mount
Audiocom Intercom system
BMD Hyperdeck Studio
Lilliput Monitor
Fostex Audio Monitor
Mackie 1604 Mixer
2- JuiceGoose JG8 Power Distros
TVOne - 1T-VS-658 Scaler
2 Mac Minis in a MacRack
2 Sennheiser Wireless systems
BMD ATEM 1 M/E Switcher
BMD Ultra Studio Express
Off the shelf 5 port CAT5 switch
APC Rackmount UPS

On the back there is a rear access door and custom patch panel with all of the necessary connections. This keeps you from having to attach cables to the back of the switcher each time. It saves a lot of skin on your knuckles, that heat sink is brutal.
Ken Summerall, Jr

Scott B

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 am

Can i ask what you paid for the rack?

ksummerall

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Scott B wrote:Can i ask what you paid for the rack?

I made a deal with Jim at Mental Case for 2 of them. IIRC, I think we paid about $2400 each. That included the custom cut and engraved steel patch panel.
Ken Summerall, Jr

Roach

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 am

ksummerall wrote:I have built several setups using MacMinis. The monitor is an issue that is easily worked around. We use small 10' Lilliput monitors for portability. They connect via HDMI. The quality is not great but you don't need a high quality monitor for this purpose. We use the base model MacMini to control the switcher. It does't require any horsepower at all to run.

For streaming, we use another MacMini (the high end model). This way we have one for streaming, and one for control. It works very well.

Video Rig by The Summeralls, on Flickr

In the bottom rack you can barely see the Minis racked in a Sonnettech MacRack.

That is a awesome setup. Not too different form mine actually but it like a much bigger bother version. I did get the mac mini and so far it works perfect. I like the liliput idea. I was thinking the same but couldn't find a cheap enough hdmi monitor. I'll have to look into that one.

Scott Ryan

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am

Nice rig. Do you have a picture of the patch panel and details of what you used? I've fought many times trying to get SDI out of ours.

Return to Live Production