nikon f lens to bmpc mft adaptor?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

compass2k

nikon f lens to bmpc mft adaptor?

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 2:48 am

Any advice on a reasonably priced lens adaptor for a nikon f (nikkor afs ed 17-35) to the active MFT mount of the Blackmagic Pocket Camera ?
In Sydney ideally (or Aus or anywhere if reasonable plus p&p).
Just seems to be a huge range from $20 no-names up to metabones in the hundreds. No idea why - I use manual controls only.

Denny Smith

Re: nikon f lens to bmpc mft adaptor?

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 6:38 am

Metabones and Novoflex both make excellent adapters. Cheep Chinese ones do not work very well, the adapter needs to be well made to get proper flange to focal pont on sensor correct, or it will not work.
Metabones speed adapter adds additional features of changing focal,length by .71, and increasing f/spot by one stop, 2.8 becomes 1.4. All Nikon adapters are manual control, a "G" type adapter is needed for newer AFS l"G" type lenses, for iris control on adapter.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AdrianSierkowski

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 6:43 am

I think mine is called the "rainbow images" adapter. I bought 2, they are cheap and work well enough for my Nikon glass wherein they witness marks aren't perfect. It's a 100% manual adapter, and all my nikkors hit infinity at infinity and close focus at close focus. On stills lenses, though, we tend to re-mark them for pulls @ prep.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 7:47 am

The price difference comes down to build quality. Metabones (Hong Kong), Novoflex (Germany) and MTF Services (UK) are all top quality. Highest grade materials and finish.

If you have a G type lens with no aperture ring (Not all AFS lenses are G type, some have aperture rings) you'll need a G type adaptor. These are more expensive as they include a mechanical lever to control the aperture on G type lenses. The Metabones design is the best as it has a progressive cam the gives you much more throw on the aperture so you have more subtle control.

Metabones make 3 adaptors:
Classic F no aperture control (tho this one seems have been discontinued).
G type (standard F adaptor with control for G type lenses)
G type Speed Booster (adaptor with an element the reduces the focal length and increases the f-stop)

Fotodiox also make good adaptors. Not as good at the other 3 but they are better that the cheap Chinese adaptors on eBay.

compass2k

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 12:21 am

I should have said more clearly - my lens has a aperture ring. Thence the problem. Nofilmschoolers recommended Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon Lens to Micro Four Thirds Camera and the guy recommending was running a nikkor af 50mm which is pretty old school like mine. Any confirmations I would be safe with this
adaptor and my afs lens?

The pocket camera isn't heavily used a stepping stone to the cinema cam I just need to see if I get enough use out of it and my old 16mm glass before thinking about the BMCC.

Dustin Uy

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 12:54 am

Lets just say itd be better if you buy several of those fotodiox adapters for backup.

Bought 2 fotodiox adapters, one works well but broke a few months later. Other has a very smooth aperture control to the point of unusable. It cant handle the lens' aperture lever. Ridiculous.

I was on novoflex. Solid build, but i got a 2nd hand one and it broke a few years later. Better buy a brand new one.

I have a speedbooster and regular adapter by metabones. So far, superb quality. Lets see in a year or two

Denny Smith

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 1:25 am

I had a "cheep" eBay adapter, did not even fit tight, very loose, on a Panasonic AF100 (which is normally tight). Replaced it right away with Novoflex, I got "used" from eBay almost two years ago. It saw heavy use in TV Studio where I worked for more than a year, still in "like new" condition, no issues. It gives both "G" lens control and can turn clicked manual iris lenses into "de clicked" by setting lens to f/22 and using iris control on adapter, which is s a nice firm ring (not a lever) giving positive control, no slipping.

Ditto on Metabones, got the speed booster, excellent kit.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

paulgolden

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:45 am

Even though the non-Speedbooster Metabones G adapter is excellent (I own one for my Tokina 11-16) , I would highly recommend digging deeper into your pocket for the Speedbooster if you really want to use your F/G lenses to the best advantage. The SB puts the lens back in a more usable range, bumps the max aperture by a stop and sharpens things, all huge improvements. The cheap adapters will get you there, but the SB is like getting a whole new lens.

adamroberts

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 am

compass2k wrote:I should have said more clearly - my lens has a aperture ring. Thence the problem....
...Any confirmations I would be safe with this adaptor and my afs lens?

I your lens has an aperture ring the a standard Nikon F adaptor will work. No need for a G type adaptor.

Be warned, you get what you pay for. Many of the cheap eBay adaptors are loose in the mount or sometimes too tight that you can't mount them. The build quality varies substantially. Sometimes you end up buying multiple to get one that is ok. Some don't last very long before the fall apart. Check the screws in the mount when you get it and make sure they are tight. Often they are not and eventually the work loose and fall out. Lens then falls out. Costing more in the long run.

A 17-35mm on the BMPCC is similar to using a 49-100mm on a full frame DSLR (D700/D800/5D). So you'll need a tripod/good support if you want to avoid jitters in your footage.

Return to Cinematography