Gallery Stills are not displaying correctly as an Image Wipe

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GradyColors

Gallery Stills are not displaying correctly as an Image Wipe

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 am

Just doing to basic shot matching. When I grab a still and then select it to be used as my reference wipe, the image is completely squished horizontally. Timeline Settings and Clip Attributes are both set to 2944 x 2160. When i'm using the image wipe, the still image i grabbed now has black bars on both sides (the black space is even reading on the scopes).

Anyone run into this? Version 16.1 Public Beta 3

EDITED: Subject title typo
Last edited by GradyColors on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Galley Stills are not displaying correctly as an Image W

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 am

Anamorphic project or clip attributes?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 am

GradyColors wrote:When i'm using the image wipe, the still image i grabbed now has black bars on both sides (the black space is even reading on the scopes).

Check to see if Reference Sizing got changed. Sizing Palette -> last selection in the drop-down menu. I have accidentally bumped this knob which changed sizing of the Gallery Stills when wiped.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

GradyColors

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
GradyColors wrote:When i'm using the image wipe, the still image i grabbed now has black bars on both sides (the black space is even reading on the scopes).

Check to see if Reference Sizing got changed. Sizing Palette -> last selection in the drop-down menu. I have accidentally bumped this knob which changed sizing of the Gallery Stills when wiped.

Good call to checking that, but those settings are good. It believe it has something to do with my project vs edit timeline settings. When i'm in the color page, i'm seeing the 2944x2160 image, but in the edit window, i'm seeing a square frame with a squished image, similar to how the stills are appearing. I think there's a bug because i've set everything to match the source footage, but i'll find in the project settings that it's often been set back to 1080p.

I'm going to roll back to the stable public version of 16 and rebuild my project from scratch and see if that fixes the problem.

GradyColors

Re: Gallery Stills are not displaying correctly as an Image

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Reverting back to 16.0 didn't do the trick.

For now i'm going to work around by manually changing the Reference Sizing handles in order to get a close enough frame to match with.

I spoke with a BM rep, who was very helpful, but couldn't isolate the issue either. I didn't know this, but apparently even if my Master Project Settings, Timeline Settings, and Clip Attributes are all set to 2944x2160p with Pixel Aspect Ratio to Cinemascope, the CUT and EDIT windows won't playback in that resolution, but instead plays in a squared ratio, squeezing the image. The gallery stills i'm grabbing are turning out that way, so i thought i had done something wrong in my project set up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve