Reasons for a 8k BM cinema camera.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Denny Smith

Re: Reasons for a 8k BM cinema camera.

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 5:49 am

Yes, when... :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kim Janson

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 am

Available spring 2022
LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 am

I so wish it came in September, then I could quote you in my signature untill April 2022. :)

Wayne Steven

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 5:52 am

You know, there was a camera, the E1. 4/3rds people were buying for $299. I would have bought one if they had made it the way I needed. Too many compromises for me. They also did a cinema camera version around $599 in China. So, a smaller than micro pocket 4k like version (c1) around 3 years ago or so. I'm not against the idea of doing sone form of an 8k micro, even if it is a small sensor.

Savannah Miller

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Here's the new Cinemartin Fran Body. I'm guessing the camera is exactly as I stated earlier and it's the camera I mentioned earlier, with the same lens mount and connections, just rehoused. Something is very suspect about the way he's developing this camera and how much progress he has made, but it seems he's very far behind from a finished camera.

That body design is one of the worst camera designs I've seen in a long time. It's the least ergonomic design and has very little functionality.

BUT the most telling part of all, is I believe the whole camera is built out of a small compter (NUC) to do all of the processing. Very odd.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 am

Which Nuc?

I got to admit, that thing does look huge going on the size of the lens. But the ergonomics are similar to Red, but the Red is small enough to be more handable.

But, do you have any proof it is the same sensor or camera?

Savannah Miller

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

It's the cmv50000 judging by specs, and the lens mount looks identical to the one featured in that camera I linked earlier, suggesting he just reused the sensor and lens mount from an existing camera rather than redesigning. I'm pretty sure the images are being captured from that camera and then processed with his NUC, which is the most bogus camera design I've ever seen. The v-mount plate is even installed upside down.
And to think he's planning on selling that camera for over $10,000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/07/18/ ... n-fran-8k/

Look at the comments and see how much of a joke this camera is. People are calling Alejandro Martin out in the comments and he's leaving rude replies.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _wcB&smp=y

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Doesn't really look like that. Sure they might make a case he's some arse, but no use being bigger arses about such stuff.

I see the Nuc comment, but the ports aren't the same. I put no credit into anybody saying using a nuc does not make a good camera design. If you travel back these sorts of cameras they were based on PC's, and cheap. The SI2k, the Drake etc. FPGA is just done fancy high end work around. You are maybe better off in most ways if you used an arm chipset, maybe from a phone. But that's design, it's Lego of other people's peices. It's irresponsible to go big as a small company, look how many tens of millions have gone into light, it could have been done far cheaper, but maybe bigger. I'm happy enough if things work right, handle right, last and are supported (but not be a rip off). The Nuc is probably a cheap way to do something (I'd rather try to get something that does most things cheaper). But the size does indicate it's not very compact design in there.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 am

I wonder what happened to the Nokia 50mp sensor technology. It's apparently from Toshiba before done deal with Sony. But where is it now. The issue is, grainy low light footage dies still make a cinema camera (like in the old days, you have to light).

Another future sensor technology is the cinema sensor which uses pixels down in the tens of nano meter range. Such things could be used to map light, keep the processing on chip, and present the smaller 4/8k values to be compressed and stored. The thing is, the mapping could get good values without a filter or prism. People still remark how much better the for of foveon x3 layered color filter technology is, but you can go further than that. The first layer on the filter picks up all colors, the second mainly two colors, and the third mainly red. By subtracting weighted values between the values they derive reasonable blue, green and blue values. I've explored doing a scheme that can derive better colour, but have done another scheme that could be adapted to existing sensor production and yeild better colour.
Previous

Return to Cinematography