Import via Drag n' Drop or Media Storage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robin Jünkersfeld

Import via Drag n' Drop or Media Storage

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Hey,
i recently stumbeld across something i havn't been aware of before and i now would like to know if this is intended or a bug.

There seems to be a difference in treating the clips depending on which way you import your footage.
I wanted to import a clip with timecode from "source clip framecount".
If you import the clip via drag and drop from your explorer (working on windows) this setting doesn't seem to apply. The clip still came in with the source tc.
If i import the same clip from Media Storage to Media Pool my TC is set to 0 as i intended.

Why is it like this and if this is the way it should work which other settings are also affected?

Currently working on DaVinci Studio 15.1.1.005 but a friend tested this on DaVinci Studio 15.2 as well.

Thanks and kind regards,
Robin

Uli Plank

Re: Import via Drag n' Drop or Media Storage

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 pm

You mean the Media page viewer is set to "Source Frame" in the upper right and you still get TC there if dragging a clip directly into the Media page? If so, it seems to be a Windows bug only, works as expected here.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Robin Jünkersfeld

Re: Import via Drag n' Drop or Media Storage

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for your fast reply. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same. I made some screenshots. (right click to see it in full size)

Set the tc option to "source clip frame count" and then import a clip with tc via Media Storage.
The clip comes into the Media Pool with a tc starting at 0 as intended.
Resolve_DnD_02_Import.jpg
Resolve_DnD_02_Import.jpg (167.27 KiB) Viewed 27 times

If I drag and drop the same clip from my windows explorer into the media pool...
Resolve_DnD_03_DragnDrop.jpg
Import of a same clip with drag and drop from explorer
Resolve_DnD_03_DragnDrop.jpg (163.91 KiB) Viewed 27 times

..the clip comes in with the original tc even though the setting is still set to "source clip framecount".
Resolve_DnD_04_DragnDrop02.jpg
Comes with original tc and ignores the settings
Resolve_DnD_04_DragnDrop02.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 27 times

I hope this can make it more clear.

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
Robin

Return to DaVinci Resolve