BM Signal Generator / Audio Track

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fhhowdy

BM Signal Generator / Audio Track

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Disclaimer:
I'm new to timecode syncing/workflows, so I apologize as I try to build up my knowledge around this.

Setup:
I'm in the process of migrating a multi-camera (consumer grade) setup to a prosumer grade setup. We currently have four cameras that record independently, as well as an independent master mix that is synced in post.

I'm in the process of bringing those camera feeds into hyperdeck minis, synced with a BM signal generator. So far, early tests have been good. But the audio feed is another question. The audio is currently multitracked over Dante to a dedicated computer to record for post mixing/editing, which leads to my question.

Question:
Is the signal from the BM signal generator a standard SMPTE timecode? I haven't connected it to see, but my current assumption is that it is, and if so, I'll connect that to an open channel in my audio mix so I can have a timecode channel, which will allow me to sync in post. I do this with my mobile setup and tentacle units now, but before I hookup the BM reference out to my board and fry something, I thought I'd verify that my assumptions around BM are accurate.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Return to Live Production